Gas smell...

webenergy

Cadet
I have an 80's Aquasport with a 50 gallon tank. I opened the gas hatch to check the tank and smelled fuel. Now, it is possible I have been putting too much gas in the tank. I always put 5 gallons in even if I didn't use the boat much. Could it simply be that, or is it possible that I have a leak somewhere? It's a pain to remove the floorboard to get to the tank, and re-caulk it so i'm hoping that it's not a leak. What options do I have?

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Gas smell...

The easiest way would be to do a pressure test on the tank itself.
http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/boatbuilder/fuel/appendix_a_17.htm
That link is obviously a very complex test with all kinds of loops you need to jump through. The Coast Guard doesn't take a back seat to safety.
The EASIER way is to cap off all of your lines and pump in THREE pounds of air - no more!!!!!!!! You really should make some calls and see if anyone does that type of testing. I'm positive on the pressure amount but how much fuel you need in the tank and the time it needs to maintain that three pounds I'm a little vague about. Sorry to sound so stupid but for the life of me I just don't want to give you some B.S. info - especially on such a sensitive project.

webenergy

Cadet
Re: Gas smell...

The easiest way would be to do a pressure test on the tank itself.
http://www.uscgboating.org/SAFETY/boatbuilder/fuel/appendix_a_17.htm
That link is obviously a very complex test with all kinds of loops you need to jump through. The Coast Guard doesn't take a back seat to safety.
The EASIER way is to cap off all of your lines and pump in THREE pounds of air - no more!!!!!!!! You really should make some calls and see if anyone does that type of testing. I'm positive on the pressure amount but how much fuel you need in the tank and the time it needs to maintain that three pounds I'm a little vague about. Sorry to sound so stupid but for the life of me I just don't want to give you some B.S. info - especially on such a sensitive project.

Well, thanks for the info! I did end up fixing a crack in the fuel line, and tightening the vent hose that was loose, and tightening the clamps around the filler hose too. I still smell a bit of gas, but not as much as before. I hope the problem is fixed now! I heard you can also put a dye in the gas tank too to check for leaks?