stingray hydrofoil on aquasport

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just installed a stingray on my 1974 17 cc aquasport "beautiful boat"with a 90 hp evinrude the results were "fantastic"when i punched it.it was on plane almost immediatly i was very impressed before top speed was 40.2 mph at 5300 rpms now 40.5 mph at 5400 rpms according to my gps my question isfrom what i undersatand thehydrofoil is supposed to ride on top of the water well mine is about 2 to 3 inches below the water surface what is on top of the surface now is the smaller skeg were the lower unit bolts are.which is about 2 inches higher than the bottom cavitation plate you cannot see the hydrofoil my ? is do i need to raise the motor so that the hydrofoi will be out of the water thanks

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer
Re: stingray hydrofoil on aquasport

The whole purpose of a hydrofoil is to provide lift like a wing under the water. If it were to ride on top, that would defeat the purpose of it.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the info chris ,just thought that by raising motor it would be more efficient and get better performance

StillFishin'

Seaman

It is my understanding that the foil is under the water at rest. When you trottle up, the foil comes up out of the water and then is out of the water when up on plan. Ttherefore there is no drag from the foil to slow you down because it's not even in the water. <br /><br />StillFishin'

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

For the foil to work it needs to be in the water.<br /> It makes it easier to plane, will stay on plane<br />at lower power and it keeps the bow lower and<br /> will tend to bounce around a little less.It cant<br />do all this unless it is in the water.

caldog101

Petty Officer 1st Class

well guy's seems like there are a few different opinions on this subject so i went ahead and emailed the STINGRAY websight and asked them "by the way they answered me right away nice people" they said it should be 1 inch below or right at the surface when up and running.those were the exact words i hope this helps everybody thanks for all your help. going to install a water pressure gauge and raise my motor a little

txswinner

Banned

Have used the Stingray and also now use the smarttabs. Both served purpose well. If you get to speeds over 40 I would recommend the Smarttabs they eliminate chine walk which is normally not a problem in the Wellcraft.