Older Aquasport

bleblanc

Cadet
First off, I'm a newbie... So, I apologize if this is a stupid question. Secondly, I have the opportunity to purchase an older Aquasport center console with a Merc 130. However, the tab was removed when some work was done and I have no idea the specs. It looks to me about 17'-19' and I'm guessing mid-80s... How can I tell the year and model just by looking at it and where can I find the specs on these older Aquasports?<br /><br />Thanks in Advance!

bleblanc

Cadet
Re: Older Aquasport

Maybe I need to provide more information... or, maybe I need to ask "What information do I need to provide to y'all in order to determine the year?"<br />Thanks,

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can’t get the answer your looking for than follow your gut. If you like the boat and it looks like the size you can live with and the price is good, and of course you have checked her out properly and she is sound does it really matter? As long it is what you want. Well, I guess it would help when it comes time to buy a part or two.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Is the HIN # missing??????There should be some id #s somewhere.Look all over and under.Charlie

bleblanc

Cadet

Scamper,<br />That's a great way to look at it. However, what I'm concerned about is safety. See, I'm planning on doing a lot of diving and I would like to know the load ratings so I can determine if the boat will actually meet my needs. Also, a 130hp seems a bit much for a 17' but is probably OK for a 19'. You do bring up a great point, though. I'm not confident that I know what to look for. I'll do some research to find a "what to look for when buying a used boat" guide. If anybody could point me in the right direction, that would be great!<br /><br />Thanks for your post, scamper.

bleblanc

Cadet

Crazy Charlie,<br />That's exactly the problem... The HIN plate seems have been removed before it's last paint job. This does not leave me with a good feeling but I don't really know what the advantage of removing the plate would be. Any ideas?

bleblanc

Cadet

djohns19,<br />THANKS! That's a big help... I will take a tape measure with me next time I take a look at the boat. If they have been running a 130hp on a 17' wouldn't that be over-stressing the hull?<br /><br />thanks for the post.

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ski2sea, got a question for ya. How hard is it to measure the thing?

bleblanc

Cadet

Scamper,<br />hmmmm... is that sarcasm? :) <br />I just haven't had a chance yet. Will do tomorrow...<br /><br />Thanks,

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No ski2sea that was not meant as sarcasm. If you look at our post times you posted a heart beat ahead of me. I did not know you were going to measure. But I’m sure you know there are two ways of measuring a boat. LOA and LOW. One refers to the over all length down the center line. If the boat has a factory built bow pulpit it counts in length. If it has a bow pulpit that has been added later it does not count in the over all length. It would be the same for a swim platform, It it’s built in it counts. That year boat I don’t think you have to worry about it. The length of the boat at the water line I don’t think you will need but I would take it anyway in case the next post would ask that question. If you are going by yourself take a board and a hammer. Drive the board in the ground at the transom and pull the tape from there to the furthest point of the bow, do not bend the tape along the hull. You want a straight line measurement.

bleblanc

Cadet

Scamper,<br />Thanks! I did know about LOA and LOW measurement but I hadn't thought about the board idea. it's a good one as I will most likely be by myself when I take the measurement. I'm going to start a new post for the HP vs. rating question.<br /><br />thanks again. Your commenst are much appreciated!

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think the question is how many divers do you plan on carrying and on what type of waters. Two divers and 6 tanks and all the other equiptment and a non-diver or two for surface watch is about all you can carry in a 17 to 19 foot boat. I had a 24 foot Aquasport and it got plenty crowded with 4 divers and a couple of non-divers. Most of the time I tried to keep it to 3 divers.<br /><br />Buttanic

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Make sure you have a good look at the registration before you make up your mind.This may have something to do with the missing hin plate.Always a possibility of a stolen boat.hin plate popped and using a different registration to sell it.It happens with trailers all the time.Charlie

BillP

Captain

A phone call or email to Aquasport will likely turn up all the info you need. I'd be careful about buying the boat without the factory numbers and check is out carefully. Don't worry about waterline length on trailer boats. That type measuring is so uncommon it won't be factor in small boats. If you do run up on those measurements it will be LWL(loaded waterline lenght) or DWL(designed waterline length). I think LOW is slang.<br /><br />Edited here...I just checked your profile and saw you are from Antigua. Out of country boats are typically not required to have the factory numbers (or safety devices) so that is probably why the Aquasport is sans them. The boat may also have a "non standard" color to what we are used to seeing in the states. It's a liability thing and one way mfgs keep track. Aquasport can tell you if they do that.

bleblanc

Cadet

Buttanic,<br />Great info! That helps immensely... Since I've never been on a small boat for boat diving, I had no idea what would fit comfortably.<br />Thanks,<br /><br />Crazy Charlie,<br />Great Point... I don't know if I would know the difference between the original and a fake registration. It's a risk I will have to consider.<br />Thanks,<br /><br />Billp,<br />Next step, contact Aquasport. Thanks,<br />Also, Awesome information about boats in foriegn countries. I agree... One more question for Aquasport.