Aquasport 176 Family Fisherman

Point-No-Point

Recruit
Hello all,
I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have an opportunity to purchase an Aquasport 176 Family Fisherman. I have a lot of questions. I just signed up to the Classic Aquasport forum but it may take time for me to be accepted so I hope someone here can help me out here.
My first question is about power. The motor on the boat is a 90hp Johnson and it is blown. I have a healthy 70 hp Evinrude. The boat weighs 1550 without gear. The boat is rated for 140hp. Will 70hp be enough power to put it on plane and run?
My second question is about the transom. The transom cap is cracked on the starboard side. I took the but of a screw driver and tapped on the transom to sound check it. From the bottom up to the crack it sounds solid until about 3 or 4 inches from the cap. The change of tone could be because it is approaching the lip of the transom where it has no support, as it does at the base of the transom with the hull running forward. If I do find rot at the top of the transom running 4 inches down, I thought I could dig it out and fill it with resin, fiber and cabasil. Does this sound like an ok fix?
I also found the solid sound of the transom extended from the motor mounts across the transom lateraly for about a foot then turned hollow. The hollow sound began in alignment with the bait box and battery box area on both sides. I am guessing the motor mounts are in solid wood that connects between the stringers and lateral to the stringers there may not be wood across the back. If anyone knows how the transom is constructed I would sure like to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Point-No-Point

Recruit
OK, The Aquasport is in the driveway now. It is a beautiful boat that needs some love. This boat shows a history of fishing. There have been rod holder mounts, cleats and electronics mounted and removed over the years. There are dings and holes to patch. I found answers to my questions with persistence. I have not removed the motor to pull the cap off the transom and inspect it but if there is a problem, I will likely use Seacast. I still don't know if 70hp will be enough power but there seems to be one way to find out. The boat came with a 90hp Johnson. I will likely run it with my 70hp Evinrude while I rebuild the 90. So that's it for now.

Out

Last edited: