Potential Angler owner.

DreamCaster

Recruit
This is my first time on this site. Glad to see so many Angler owners. My wife and I have been to the recent boats shows doing our homework before we make the purchase. I not completely green about boats. (I used to assemble for Dusky Marine in the early 90's so I have a bit of understanding about boats, and what to look out for...nuff said there). So far I have concluded the Angler 204FX gives you the most bang for the buck. I like the way Angler uses every SqIN of space wisely. The local dealer here has thew last of there 07 w/150 Optimax for a deal. The car dealership I work at sells them GMC truck's and they are willing to give me the same wholesale deal.
My main concern is the Mercury. People I speak with still say it's a great "fresh water" engine but not the best choice for Salt water.BUT that's what they said 15 years ago..is it still true?? My issue is, I would have to order and 08' if I want a Yamaha. BUT I am saving already about 7-9 thousand dollars with the Optimax at its rigged and ready to go.T-top, leaning post, trailer..all I need it the key!
#1 What do you think about the boat itself.
#2 Should I take a factory tour to be sure they too are not doing the same "cookie cutter" thing for 25 years as some other So. Fl. Builder(s) are.
#3 And what do you think about the package w/ the Optimax. I won't mention the price,,but it's real good.

joe09

Cadet
Re: Potential Angler owner.

i am looking to buy the 2008 angler 204fx.i was looking for some pros and cons on the boat and some good options.was going to get the yamaha 150 4 stroke.thanks in advance for any replys.

sharkbait631

Recruit

Hi all, I am also looking @ the Angler 204FX. I currently have a Pro-Line 17Sport and am ready to move up. I would also love to hear the Pro's and Con's to Angler. How is there customer service, so far they have not replied to any E-mails (Pro-Line is great about there customer support). The 204 I am looking @ has the Yamaha 150 4 stroke for 31000.00 is that fair??? I am mostly a inland river user but would love to go off shore and do some diving off the boat.

jmeny

Seaman

I'm new to this site as well, and I'm considering purchasing a '95 Angler 204 after a long time looking for something in good shape and inexpensive. I'm a college student with what you can call a very minimal budget, but this boat is in my price range (I'm planning on purchasing under split ownership). It comes equipped with t-top, garmin depth finder, gps, radio, hydraulic trim tabs, 125 merc, and trailer with new brakes and tires. The boat appears to be in great shape, and though I have heard it is a good economic entry-level boat, I have heard some negative things about Angler boats. I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up with a boat that's going to fall apart on me and become a money pit. Can anyone confirm the air voids in the gelcoat cracking as a common problem, and is this a problem among later models or older ones? Would this problem show up quickly if it were to occur, or could it still be a potential issue in a 12 year old boat? Also, I have heard some devastating stories about Angler transom defects...is this an issue I should be concerned about? On another note, if anyone is experienced about engines, the Merc is a '95 as well and has been rebuilt with 74 hours on it...I would not be able to replace this quickly if it were to fail. I'm far from being an expert on boats and would appreciate any information that you can contribute. Thanks for your help, Joe

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I have a 2003 Angler 204FX and enjoy this boat more than any I have ever owned. It is a standard CC with a T-top, leaning post, outriggers, and a Johnson 150 2 stroke. It runs out well (48 WOT), cruises nicely @ 35 MPH @ 4100 RPM. Decent speed and easy on the engine.

Some additions will make for a more enjoyable time. If not equipped, put trim tabs on. It will stop the "porpoising" effect from the modified V-hull and allows almost immediate planing when taking off. Also, add a medium height bow rail, for safety if nothing else. I'm not sure why Angler doesn't equip their boats from the factory with them (probably cost), but they are cheap enough from a marine surplus store. I have about $250.00 invested in mine and it really enhances the look of the boat. Add a second battery and make sure it's getting charged. Sucks being 20 miles offshore and hearing that dreaded 'click.click.click' when you hit the key. I have a dedicated starting battery and another battery that runs all of the electronics. Cheap insurance. One last thing...add a small swim/boarding platform on the back. I put a small (2' x 2') on the port transom and it's a lot nicer climbing back in after swimming/tubing/skiing.

Good luck on your purchase. I have found the Angler to be a great boat and haven't had the first minor problem with it.

Larry

bpante

Cadet

My son did his homework and got an Angler over 10 years ago. Great boat for the money Structurally sound. You are not paying for the name like a Whaler. About the only complaint is the factory T top is way too tall, get a custom or if you are getting a center consol, get a fishmaster.

joe009

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have the 204fx bought new in 2008.yamaha f150.the boat is a good high ,dry,stable ride.the high sides are good for keeping children and adults in the boat.the bow rail is a good option.i added trim tabs and hydrofoil.the f150 is a very heavy engine.you should be ok with the merc.good luck you will love the boat