Alumacraft Restorations

Aqualad

Cadet
Hi folks, I inherited this Alumacraft F6 from a family member some years ago. I got a new trailer two years ago and then found this forum.
I gotta tell ya, I love this boat! I have been "slowly" restoring various parts when I can.
I use it in saltwater with a Motorguide Great White trolling motor and it really moves inshore. Gets into some really skinny water to get at redfish.
I've included some pics and will continue to update as I make renovations. I started with cleaning out the bottom. It was real gunked up. Then I coated the bottom with Rustoleum Flex Seal to help it deaden sound. Those redfish are real skittish. It's also a good anti-slip coating that replaces the original coating.
I had to pull the rear seat to clean out the back. I drilled out the rivets and replaced them with stainless bolts. After coating with Flex Seal I put the carpet back in. Sound deadened! It even feels more stable. Flex seal will prevent small leaks too.

Next - replacing the "blue" transom.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to the type of wood I should use for the transom?

I need all the ideas I can get.

Attachments

• 1736.jpg
    1736.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 1737.jpg
    1737.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1
  • Alumacraft Restoration_003.jpg
    Alumacraft Restoration_003.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Alumacraft Restorations

marine plywood is best for the transom, be sure to seal it and it will last years

Aqualad

Cadet

Thanks Bri. Now I just have to find some MG plywood. I guess a good marine paint would seal it?

Now I'm thinking about Teak.

Last edited:

nomrwrk

Seaman

Marine plywood sealed with a 2 part epoxy is best. You can also use high quality hardwood plywood. The key is to seal the wood, including edges. I live in the Pacific Northwest and the aluminum boat manufacturers who use vinyl over plywood flooring use CPES from Rot Doctor: CPES™-Wood based epoxy products to repair and resist wood rot.. I used it on my Alumacraft Lunker restoration and it is great. My boat sees fresh, brackish and saltwater regularly June - October.