Alumacraft Seat Bracket - Screws Pulled Out

43eggharbor

Recruit
Have a 1998 175 CS Tournament Pro with a 4 stroke Suzuki that I bought new in '98. The screws holding the aluminum brackets to one of the seat backs loosened. The screws appear to have some type of locking agent like locktite on them and won't come out. They are not through bolted. Does anyone know how the seat backs are constructed?

As far as removing the vinyl cover, I can see the staples under the piping, but the staples go all around the edges, including under the aluminum brackets. It looks like the brackets were put on after the piping was stapled on. Can't unscrew the screws (they just turn) so I may have to take it to an auto upholstery shop to get it fixed?

Thanks for any help offered.

Frank

PS: Great boat - kept it all these years and trailer from NJ to South Carolina, St Lawrence River, Canada. When not in use, keeping it inside my warehouse sure keeps it looking young. Wish my other boats were this trouble free!!!

Re: Alumacraft Seat Bracket - Screws Pulled Out

normally they are a threaded insert with teeth that goes on the inside of the wood in a predrilled hole before the cusion is applied. they are normally metal so they rust and the teeth break or can not grip the wood so they spin. i can not think of a simple fix other than to cut the heads off and remove the upholstery to remove the old ones and maybe replace the wood if its a little soft

If the seat backs are plastic they will be nut-serts or riv-nuts that are installed like a rivet in a hole in the plastic. they are metal and rust so its the same problem realy