14 foot closed bow HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zomes

Recruit
Im new here and this is my first boat and i happened to get it at a great price. I was going to take the closed bow off and do some major modifications to it but was informed that it may be worth a lot more than the $400 i payed for the motor, trailer and boat. So i was hoping someone had some advice as i was thinking about removing the closed section to make it friendlier for fishing.
downsized5F1206090954a1.jpg

thanks!

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 14 foot closed bow HELP

That's a nice rig for $400. My buddy got a similar rig for $400 with a '72 Johnson 25hp and he loves it. He cut out the bow to make it more conducive to fishing and put down level decking throughout.

If you need a fishing boat I'd use that one, people have told my friend that his would be worth more restored but really he wanted a little aluminum fishing boat so he got what he wanted.

It looks an awful lot lot a Lund hull, but they don't usually have a closed bow.

Is that a 9.8hp Merc?

Congrats:D

This is a very similar rig so I figured I'd post some pics
Before(classic 60s 14' ski boat made by Cadillac Boat Co. here in Michigan)

DSCF2331.jpg

After...he did put down carpeting, this was a rough test run photo

DSCF2569.jpg

zomes

Recruit

Thats what im looking for, a fishing boat and i think the. Closed bow thing can be removed with a big screwdriver and a crowbar.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Zomes, forgot to say...welcome to iboats, you will find lots of helpful folks around here:)

You could drill out all the rivets, use an angle grinder, a sawzall, or a crowbar. I'd be wary of a crowbar approach possibly bending the hull too much. Aluminum will bend and it's nearly impossible to bend back.

My buddy used a grinding wheel and it was a bit rough at first. He smoothed out some rough cuts later and it turned out decent.

Looks like that Merc has a whale tail on it already, that will help you plane out nicely(also could mean the previous owner was having a hard time planing out).

That Merc is one sweet-looking outboard, I've got a 1970 80hp Merc that I love.

What's the year/hp on that thing?

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Zomes...

Congratulations getting that boat! You have a collectible boat there, worth more than $400. For now you don't know what you have! Just the boat, as is or kept like original can bring $$$. The boat is a FD class type runabout and looks to be in very good shape. Just the paint scheme says so much and the boat has the aqueduct transom. We would like to know what the boat tag says.

My thoughts... For now, keep the boat as is, know what you have and don't be in a hurry to do anything. Your boat is a classic. If it's altered, it's gone forever. I say if you want a true fishing boat get a fishing boat.

If you can, give us more information on the boat. As there are knowledgeable vintage boat members here to help.

zomes

Recruit

Took some more pics because i would definatley sell this if it would be worth a substancially larger amount. Any ideas. i would clean it up over the winter and vacum the mice out of the engine of course.
downsized5F12100915471.jpg

downsized_1210091545a.jpg
has electric start
9.8 merc not sure on the yr
downsized_1210091545.jpg

1210091548a1.jpg

found the tag thingy and appears to be a "flying D"
1210091547a.jpg

thanks!

Huron Angler

Admiral

So she's an Alumacraft "Flying D" that's pretty sweet. There are a whole bunch of Alumacraft gurus on this site. Give them time and they will get ya some more information on the rig.

So it is a 9.8 w/ electric start, what a nice little motor.

Good luck with the project:D

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Beautiful boat! You hit the jackpot on your purchase! They're the jewel of F series, quite rare. The more I see of your boat, the more I like.

For now here's some pictures of a Flying D kept as original.

FlyingD1.jpg

FlyingD2.jpg

FlyingD3E.jpg

I have more pictures of this boat and the owner later had it for sale. I'll see if I can find his asking price.

zomes

Recruit

the more i learn the less interested i would be in destroying it by turning it into a fishing boat. I not interested enough to fix up a non fishing boat but would like to maybe sell it to someone else who could. if i was do you have any idea how much it would go for. roughly.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found this on the Flying D I posted above. It's from another boating forum, a year old and with pictures. I have the link. Can't post it here but can in a private message if someone wants it. I copied this part of the sellers quote...

"Hi everyone. I hate to say this, but I need to sell my 57 Flying "D" It might just be the nicest one around. This boat sat unsold at an upstate marina for about 30 years. It was NOS when purchased. I am the third owner. It is powered by a 1959 Mercury Mark 35A. The motor has been restored mechanically, but not cosmetically. It is a turn key operation. 31 MPH on the GPS. Good galvanized trailer. All papers transferable. I'm asking $3000 or best reasonable offer. I'm starting here before I go to the auction block. The boat is located in upstate NY. Please email me if you are interested."

I have these pictures of the boat with that motor on.

Flying_D_5E.jpg

Flying_D_4E.jpg

Flying_D_3E.jpg

Flying_D_2E.jpg

Flying_D_1E.jpg

Zomes, I'm also not into restoring boats and it's hard for me to make make a rough guess what your boat is worth. If not in a hurry to sell you should easily make money on it, as it is. For me, just the boat is a bargain at $400. I have the utility version of your boat and the 9.8 hp motor is small for your boat, with passengers it will not plane. Properly powered the ride and performance of this boat is hard to beat.

The boat ID# is stamped on the top of the center transom brace. With that you can contact Alumacraft and get information on your boat.

Vintage Aluminum

Seaman Apprentice

I think you are getting some good advice. While these boats are sturdy and perform well for lots of purposes, they are getting to an age and scarcity that we can get a little possessive of them. Forgive us if we overstep....

I do know that the longer bow Flying Ds are a lot more scarce than a garden variety FD. Not sure I am seeing it correctly but it looks like you'd have to do some tweaking to your seats to make them usable without cushions. They are designed to hold the cushions as on the boat shown above--if I am seeing things correctly from your pictures.

Were you to want to take your boat back to original, you face a few challenges...nothing insurmountable. Your boat is missing the hard to find dividers, again as shown above. Your front deck looks a little wrinkled to my eye...but its hard to tell. Aluminum can be tough to get bent back around, but it can be done with the right mixture of patience and technique.

Sometimes the pieces and parts are worth more than we pay...that may be the case here. Doesn't seem like you've overpaid. Whatever you decide, enjoy a 50 year old piece of Americana! Its likely someone would value the bow piece if it is straight or can be made so, should you decide to take the boat in a less restored direction.

VA

Shizzy

Ensign

My FD came with the bow cover as well. Its only held in with screws. one on each side of the rear and 4 screws that hold the handle on the front of the bow. it then just slides forward and comes right off. no damage is done in the process.

I simply stored the cover safley in the garage, reattached the handle and built a simple hinged casting deck on the front. the only damage I did to the boat was a few small screw holes. it can be returned to original with just a few visable screw holes.

Ross Barker

Recruit
Mod EDIT: Solicitation is not permitted.

Inactive topic

Closed

Russ, please refrain from posting to topics w no posts in the last 90days. Once inactive, best left inactive

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.