Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alumacraft FD restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alumacraft FD restoration

    Just finished restoration of a 1960 Alumacraft FD. Here are some over all pictures, I will follow up with some before and after pictures. The motor is a 1982 Johnson 35 hp that I restored and the trolling motor is an all original 1956 Johnson 3 hp. The old paint that was inside of the boat was stripped, acid washed with a metal conditioner, seams and rivets sealed with Gluvit, primed with Alumaprotect epoxy primer, the floor is coated with blue Durabak and the seats painted using automotive enamel with extra polyurethane hardener added. I followed all of the original paint lines that were there when I started.
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256090683
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256090759
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256090775
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256090790
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256090815
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

    Here are some before and after photos at a similar camera angle.
    http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256092126
    Attached Files

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

      The steering console is not an Alumacraft accessory but is an after market model that was installed when the boat was new. It is a Helm-Rite with an Attwood steering wheel. It can be installed on either side of the boat, the original owner installed it on the left side. The Attwood steering wheel had many cracks. I used a drimmel to ground a 1/8 inch beveled groove in each crack and filled them with Waterweld epoxy putty, sanded, primed and painted with automotive enamel paint matching Johnson white. The round plastic circle above the steering pulley is the horn button. I added a vintage compass and speedometer.
      http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256092405
      http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256092415
      Attached Files
      Last edited by saltH2Odeprived; October 21st, 2009, 06:27 AM. Reason: typo

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

        Before and after showing the inside. I added a vintage anchor winch in the bow area.
        http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093192
        http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093205
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

          Another view of the steering and controls before and after.
          http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093356
          http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093368
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

            Here is the anchor winch. Is was made by D.E. Rice Company. The winch has an internal brake drum that locks the anchor's position. I has 100 ft. of stainless steel aircraft cable routed through several pulleys. I found the winch in the original box, but it is missing the anchor. I am in search of an original anchor for this winch, meanwhile I am modifying a mushroom anchor so it will seat itself properly into the flange of the bow mount.
            http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093792
            http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256093805
            Attached Files

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

              The 35 Johnson is a long shaft motor, I built an adjustable jack plate that raises it about 5.5 inches and sets it back about 6.5 inches. The jack plate plans are from this site http://www.dillon-racing.com/jackplate/index.htm.The boat really flies with this setup, I am still fine tuning motor height and testing props, it currently has a 10.5 X 11 and needs more pitch for top end. The stabilizer keeps the bow flat at take off and at top speed it is very stable even during hard turns. I am very pleased with the performance and handling. Before restoring the motor, I took tracings of the original cowl decals which were orange and black, and after painting applied new two tone blue decals that I recreated in Illustrator on my computer and had a sign shop cut from vinyl.
              http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256094461
              http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256094476
              http://forums.iboats.com/attachment....1&d=1256094494
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

                I have received lots of valuable information and inspiration on this site and my hope is that someone else will receive the same.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

                  I looked! That's a cool find. I'm glad someone made that jackplate, I just found the drawings the other day.

                  I have an ugly F7. It's fun when you get it on plane. It's also mildly fun to row.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Sign up today
                    Re: Alumacraft FD restoration

                    love the anchor setup--i am working on my k model and you have motivated me

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X