Restoring Alumacraft Deep C

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring Alumacraft Deep C

kfa4303, thanks for the encouragement. My faceplate is in the mail, and there might be a steering wheel in my future too. I'll look for the serial & model # and holler back. It's taking alot of time, but I know it'll be worth it, and if weren't for the encouragement found here I would've given up and *gasp* probably sold it. And regretted it the rest of my life.
mtboatin, It is a deep C. I had an upholsterer do the cushions in the original pattern; look for someone who works with boat seats. They have a wooden base and the vinyl is attached to that. If I'm not mistaken they're held on there by monster velcro; when I go down there to find the info on my motor I'll take another look for you. Do you have seat backs? If you don't now the boat did come with them. Look for a little moveable bracket alongside the bench - that's where they mount, and they fold forward so you can climb around without killing yourself. I manage to do that anyway :facepalm:

Thanks for the reply. Yes mine has the foldable seat backs on the front two benches. Wouldn't mind adding one to the third/back bench some day if I could locate the assembly.

Mine has a 1974 50 hp Evenrude that makes her get up go nicely. I would eventually like to find a vintage 35-60 hp to put on her.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Restoring Alumacraft Deep C

Do it right and keep it original. White oak for the inner transom board with cork sheet backing. Marine ply (7 ply) for the outside transom. See thread above on FD48... for correct way to remove inner board. It's easy to do if you do it the right way the first time. Keep the cable steering especially if you use the older motor. Can't get adequate steering from modern steering systems. Irreversable modifications of older boats decrease their resale value. The original white oak inner transom board is plenty strong on that boat and rated for 60hp. Replacing it with plywood may work OK for a while but it won't look correct and it will rot much faster than solid white oak.

2011_0703BoatsFlanneryBob0012.jpg

JohnsonJavelins095.jpg

Loyd,

I'm sure you get it all the time but that is one good looking boat!!

Any negatives to putting 10 more horses on there then recommended? Is weight an issue with the twin power plant? It really looks good and has gotten me thinking.....:rolleyes: It looks like '58 Javelins? Did they offer them in a 25-30 hp?

I also noticed your transom tie down eyes. Are they 3/8" or 1/2"? Would you recommend a different position then where yours are if attempting to ski or pull a tube?