Alumacraft FD

alf1960

Cadet
I recently purchased a FD. Serial # FD 9668. I was told it was a 1959 model. It is in pretty good condtion. It had steering on it at one time. It does`t have the enclosed front plate on it. These seem to be very well made boats. After finding this forum and reading all about FD`s I decided to buy it. I paid 500.00 for the bare boat. It seems like alot for an old boat but I think it will be worth it. I was looking for a boat to take to Canada fishing. I bought a 1987 Johnson 15 HP with pull and electric start. Hopefully this will get me and my son across the lake okay.( about 475 pounds total-not counting our gear) I needed something light as we cant always use a boat landing when we are up there. A 20- 25 horse is alot more to lug around. If I email or call Alumacraft would they be able to tell me what options were on my boat when it left the factory?? I am curious about the steering . I would love to find a FDR thats original. Are replacement rubber gaskets for the drain plug available? Thanks, Alan

Shizzy

Ensign
Re: Alumacraft FD

first off, Congrats on the FD, you are going to love it. I have a 68 that came with the bow cover. I took it off since I use it for fishing and it was kind of in the way. its an excelent built boat, rides and handles very nice. I have a brass washer on my drain plug and it doesnt leak.

The 15 sould be fine, I have a 6HP on mine and its just enough to get it done, a 15 would be great.

K.B

Seaman

1961 model for me.

Love it! Yours was a bit pricey to me. Hope it had the steering console and such w/ it as mine did for ten "ten spots". If not, no matter; you can get one for little of nothing/make it and your 15 will do fine if you're in no hurry.

Rated for 40, so don't fret except for "Bend down, reach around"oline!

You'll like it! You'd have to pry mine from me like the book was pried from the corpse on "Young Frankenstein" !!!

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was looking for a boat to take to Canada fishing. I bought a 1987 Johnson 15 HP with pull and electric start. Hopefully this will get me and my son across the lake okay.

Congratulations on getting that boat. I have a '68 FD for 40 years and yours is very similar. It's a small boat for big lakes but keeping the boat light, as with your 15 hp motor and by traveling slowly it is very capable of handling some of the roughest water and biggest swells. It will outdo many larger boats on very rough water as it doesn't fight the big waves, even when hit from the sides. Being a round (soft) chine boat and ideal boat width, it has a fast response to the waves. Every dimension and every curve have a purpose. For big rough water running conditions, tiller steering is better than remote steering because you're on the motor for the fastest moves. Boat size isn't the answer for staying dry, as the 14' FD tiller boat performed even better than a big new 16' Alumacraft tiller boat I owned.

First get familiar with rough water handling. The FD will amaze you what it can do.

If I email or call Alumacraft would they be able to tell me what options were on my boat when it left the factory?? I am curious about the steering .

I don't think so, as options can be added later.

Are replacement rubber gaskets for the drain plug available?

New drain plugs can be bought from the stores. They're universal for most boats.

alf1960

Cadet

Thankyou for the replies and the advice. The boat has the threaded drain plug, with a flat rubber gasket on it that has deteriorated after 49 years. I`m sure I can find something to replace the gasket with. Might get to try her out yet this week before it gets to cold. Thanks Alan

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

Great boat Alf! I've had a '58 FD for years - used it for everything from knucklebusters to four cylinder Mercs - a very versatile boat and handles rough water like a dream. With the load you're planning and 15 hp, you should do just fine.

Faraway

Recruit

This is one of those dumb questions, what is "FD"? I've ruled out Fire Dept & First Down.

I recently purchased a new Alumacraft, but don't recall any FD initials associated with it, just MV. I now own 4 boats. Is that a fleet? I've found that boats are a lot easier to buy than they are to sell.

Tanks a rot,
Boat Poor

super cs

Seaman Apprentice

This is one of those dumb questions, what is "FD"? I've ruled out Fire Dept & First Down.

I recently purchased a new Alumacraft, but don't recall any FD initials associated with it, just MV. I now own 4 boats. Is that a fleet? I've found that boats are a lot easier to buy than they are to sell.

Tanks a rot,
Boat Poor

The FD was a 14 foot model made in the fifties and early sixties. It had similar dimensions to the model F, but was deeper, hence the D.

sandusky

Cadet

Hi , If you are still interested in a orig. FDR let me know . I bought a Flying D last summer from a guy in Central Wi. on the lake just outside Chetek. He has a FDR under wraps and had mentioned he was interested in selling it. hope this helps somebody. thanks ,Sandusky

raab@wi.rr.com

Recruit

Hi there, AlumaCraft fans. First post. I have a '58 FD with the front deck and steering deck. It is overpowered with the 40 hp '71 Evinrude I bought it with...they were rated in this timeframe for 30-35hp. A Mark 30 from the era ought to be just right.

Regarding the $500 price paid...if you can find it for that or less and its in nice straight shape, buy it. The decks make them more rare, and more expensive.

Others have more time in their AlumaCrafts but I find them very sturdy, dry and stable...particularly the FDs and R's.

I, too, have some interest in an FDR...and live in Wisconsin. Any of the vintage Model Rs or Flying Ds, or Cs, or FDs or R's are of interest to me--they just don't make them like that today.

Thread initiator has first call on the FDR, though. When and if appropriate, feel free to e-mail me via this fine site or at my e-mail address at raab@wi.rr.com

Enjoy all the knowledge you folks share...let's keep it going.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

$500 dollars for a FD is a good deal! Mine will never be sold. If kept in good shape all of the mentioned boats do not depreciate.

An example, now that the Model R is mentioned, here's pictures of a Model R that sold for $1,955 on eBay last year. This boat is a jewel to have and all it can give back to you.

AlumacraftModelR1.jpg

AlumacraftModelR2.jpg

AlumacraftModelR3.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a '58 FD with the front deck and steering deck. It is overpowered with the 40 hp '71 Evinrude I bought it with...they were rated in this timeframe for 30-35hp. A Mark 30 from the era ought to be just right.

Yes, I agree. Getting the hp within its rating gives the best all around performance.

Having the boat with a same period motor puts it in a special league.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a 1956 alumacraft rb 12 footer with factory trailer this past summer in mint shape.Hope to someday own an Fd.I only paid around 400 for my 12 footer though.

raab@wi.rr.com

Recruit

Javsam...

Thats a good buy. The RB's had a different seating arrangement than most R's...the rear seat is placed in a further back position to facilitate tiller operation. I have a camo version of about the same era...I do not think the camo was original, but one could order it that way per factory literature from the era. With trailer...you paid a good price. Or, better said...a price that others would pay and then some.

I have never seen an AlumaCraft trailer other than pictured on the back of the '58 AlumaCraft catalog. That one was a turquoise blue. The factory couldn't add anything to the color question...i.e. Did they all come in that color? Or, did they come in a matching color to the boat?

I would love to see pictures of your trailer. Did it come with an AlumaCraft serial plate, or TeeNee? From the late 50's literature they look exactly like private label Tee Nees--right down to the streamlined fenders. Anyway, sounds like you have something special there. Enjoy. I'm just down the road from you in Lake Country west of Milwaukee.

Paul

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it is the turquoise blue color,and comes with the alumacraft serial plate and weight limit specification of 700 LBS.It is also a tilt trailer.I would be happy to post a pic,but I will have to wait until warmer weather.

ropntoz

Cadet

Hi there, I have been reading for awhile and now have setup an account here. I really like Alumacraft boats and have had three of them since I was young and now have bought another to restore with my 16yr. old son. I would like to post some pics as this boat is a bit different than my others were, but I can't figure how to post a thread?! can someone help me?

Thanks, Dale

Vintage Aluminum

Seaman Apprentice

Go to the front page of the Alumacraft Forum and click on Forum Tools. Second one down, I believe, creates a new thread. Looking forward to seeing what you've got. New photos create lots of ideas and interest!

Bigwilly517

Recruit

For 500 its definitely a good sturdy boat if its not a leaker I just got my grandpas 1959-1961 FD 14'. Very happy with it so far . The last month I've been sanding it down to get all the stains out of it . Hoping to get enough time to put a mirror shine on her !

Krichbourg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes it is the turquoise blue color,and comes with the alumacraft serial plate and weight limit specification of 700 LBS.It is also a tilt trailer.I would be happy to post a pic,but I will have to wait until warmer weather.

Looking forward to the pics. I've got an old Model R and I think an original trailer. I'm really interested in pics of the tilt feature of the trailer. Mine needs work and I'd like to get it back to original if possible.