Request opinion: Alumacraft Trophy

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've narrowed my boat choices down to the final three, and the Alumacraft Trophy 175 is one of them.

If any of you have one (or the 185), I'd be real interested in your opinion of the boat. Pros? Cons? Likes? Dislikes? What power are you using?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Request opinion: Alumacraft Trophy

I've narrowed my boat choices down to the final three, and the Alumacraft Trophy 175 is one of them.

If any of you have one (or the 185), I'd be real interested in your opinion of the boat. Pros? Cons? Likes? Dislikes? What power are you using?

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

I bought a trophy 185 with an etec 150 last year. I am very happy with this package.

The top speed with a light load is 45-46mph gps. It will go 43mph gps with pretty well any reasonable load. (19p alum prop).

This boat is very stable and feels very safe at these speeds. I bought it with my children in mind as I have two 4 year old boys and am concerned for their safety. The gunwhales are high and there is very little risk of them falling out.

I am a large man and the boat does not feel the slightest bit tippy when fishing and walking from side to side to help land fish.

I have the bow cushions, but I mostly leave the fisking platform up in the front. That may change as my kids get into watersports.

There is a lot of room in this boat and 4 adults can fish easily.

The etec is able to keep my trolling battery charged as long as you have about a 20 minute ride at above 2000 rpm. I usually charge my battery at home, but when I was at the lake for a week, I just made sure that I switched to battery 2 on my way to shore and I never had to charge my battery with my charger for the whole week with moderate trolling motor use.

One thing I would like is a longer trolling motor. I have a minnkota 55pd 12V and when the weight is not right in my boat, the prop cavitates. When my wife is on the front pedestal, there is no problem.

These boats have a high freeboard and should have a boarding ladder. I think you would have to be quite athletic to get in without assistance.

I have compared my boat to several other boats and I have always been happy with my decision. The difference in price from a 175 to a 185 was around $3000. although, a 175 w/ a 150 etec would probably put you up over 50mph easy.

These boats are really good bang for the buck. Cheaper boats don't have the size or features and you have to go up considerably in price to get the same features and size in a Lund.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thank you so much for your thorough review.

Our kids have grown, but we have two golden retrievers that love boats, so the floor depth is important to us, too.

The boarding ladder is a great idea, but the catalog doesn't appear to show it as an available option. The Lund has it on certain models, particularly the ones we have been looking at. I'll be sure to ask the Alumacraft folks about it when we hit the boat show this weekend.

Thanks again for your time.

Tredeb

Seaman Apprentice

My ladder/platform was a dealer item. I had them install it before I took delivery. The platform sits almost at the waterline, (a bit below if I am on it). Your dogs would be able to board on their own. You may want to consider vinyl floors, as two dogs thst size will bring in a lot of water.