First on here......(Show Yer Alumacraft)

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First on here......(Show Yer Alumacraft)

I have a 1986 16.5 ft. Alumacraft Lunker with side console powered by 1999 40 & 5 hp Nissans. I shouldn't have bought it. It is a bass boat and I don't fish for bass. I mainly fish for salmon and crab in saltwater bays. It is an OK boat and light enough for my Mazda Tribute to pull. Not as sturdy as I would like and is a wet boat in a chop. Also, it is all carpeted which is a poor choice in a wet climate like ours. Finally, no one in this part of the country knows beans about Nissans.

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 99 175 trophy elite,with a 115 merc and a 6hp kicker.Love the boat it handles rough water very well,as hauls butt when i need it to.It came with a yacht club trailer that had the plastic molded fenders,hate the fenders always breaking in the cold weather.Around these parts people are trading in their boats(starts with a L ) and are buying alumacraft.

Pony

Rear Admiral

jt57, is yours a welded hull? I am curious about those. Mine is just a little t14xl from 1986. Its in great condition, but at some point i will want to upgrade

jt57

Petty Officer 2nd Class

it has the riveted hull and all the seams are welded,after six years of steady use its as tight as the day I bought it.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

14' alumacraft model AZ, max hp 7.5. Camo'd it for duch hunting but works perfectly fishing for pan fish with the kids, sheltered bay and a pair of oars keeps them on the fish.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I sure like mine! This is my 14 ft. 1968 FD Alumacraft. I think it is one of the best built small semi-vee utility boats made. I purchased it new with the trailer when I was 18. The boat and trailer are kept all orginal. Motor # 3 is on the boat. The '04 Mercury 2 stroke was the only brand that had a short shaft 40 hp. to take it up to its hp. rating. Back in '68 you could put a lot of hp. on this small utility aluminum boat as compared to today's more conservatively rated utility's.<br /><br />The boat is light, narrow and very solid. It has a 4 1/2 ft. beam and is 4 ft. wide at the transom. The rear picture shows the round (soft) chine. Giving it a smooth ride and great performance. It is a thrill to drive.<br /><br />
flk9zd.jpg
<br /><br />
flkgpi.jpg

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow. Nice pictures. But I can't imagine putting that much power on that size boat. Looks like you had to do a little transom reinforcement. What hp is it rated for?

Pony

Rear Admiral

I would love to drive that boat......That 40 just looks HUGE on that thing.<br /><br />Here is mine<br />
fallfishin0245kf.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat is rated for 40 hp. and the transom is not reinforced. That extra wood is a piece added for the motor mounting bolts. The boat and motor set up was done by my marine dealer. They set it up for 50 MPH and we could not drive it at WOT, it was to fast. I had to slow it down for safety sake with weight and a different prop. With this motor on it is only for me to operate alone. The performance and power is awesome!<br /><br />I do switch motors on the boat, a 25 hp. and a 4 hp. for winter use. The 40 hp. is for summer, it makes the Mississippi river seem smaller. This boat is my favorite for so many reasons.<br /><br />
1zgqxj

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Art B, I know your boat well. I bought a new 16 ft. 1988 Lunker SS with a 45 hp. tiller steer motor. It's the same boat as yours but without the steering console and my neighbor down the street has your same boat, a 1986 with a 30 hp. motor. They are real nice boats. I had mine for 9 years. Sold it to a co-worker. I just didn't need two boats and now just have the 14 ft. FD, as it is more versatile for my use and I was using it more than the Lunker. I know your thoughts about your boat, they are small water boats but I am amazed that the FD boat can handle rough water as good or better than the Lunker. The bigger boat fights the waves and chop but the small FD boat cuts through them or goes with them. Style, size, weight and dimensions are all critical. I never regretted buying the Lunker though. Boats are compromises, you learn as you own them.<br /><br />Pony., You say you want to upgrade some day? Does upgrade mean bigger? If you do, keep your 14 ft. boat if you can. A larger boat may not always mean it will be better for how you use it most of the time. I fish a lot from my friends 360 Ranger bass boat with a 150 hp. motor. It is a super boat, but if someone gave me a boat like it I doubt that I would keep it. It is too much boat for me. Take your time and learn what would be most suited for you, or have two boats!

Pony

Rear Admiral

River- Runner- In upgrading I would most certainly keep the boat I have. I love the thing. Easy to trailer, and it moves great for a little aluminum. The reason I eventually want to go bigger is simply more space. I would eventually like to get a 16ft boat or so with about a 50hp. I fish in boats like that regulary and love them. The 14 is what I could afford at the time. A bassboat with a 150 is way larger than what i am thinking right now.........Eventually I want to go as long as 19ft and be able to go out on Lake Michigan

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is my wife (the fisherman) in our Alumacraft:
P1010037.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

Art- I use a Sylvan Sea Monster on occasion with a 40hp on a boat of similar size to yours, just curious, what sort of speed do you get with your rig?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

About 27 mph. It ain't gona ski. But thats enough for someone my my agw. (77)

Pony

Rear Admiral

Wow, i was expecting that to move more quickly. I "can" do up to 33mph in mine........its almost too fast.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe if I had the guts to keep it in WOT it would get there.

ARCWINSTON

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2003 185SC Tournament Pro. It is the first new boat I ever bought. The layout and features fitted my needs exactly. BUT...The longer I own this boat the more dissapointed i become. The quality of the things you don't see is terrible. The more I work on it the more I find absolutely lousy workmanship. The wiring looks like it was done by a 5 year old. The labels in the fuse box were nothing whatever to do with what the fuses actually protected and when I called A'craft asking for a wiring diagram I was told "oh, we don't use them". They have obviously never heard of deburring a hole or sharp edge at Alumacraft, there are nasty blood drawing sharp edges on most every piece of aluminum. I now have 23 assorted screws and rivets that I have found in various nooks and crannies <br />The structure of the boat is, I believe, very solid and the ride is good but the fit and finish of the hidden details fall a long way short of their reputation and their advertising claims...W