First on here......(Show Yer Alumacraft)

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First on here......(Show Yer Alumacraft)

I see lots of aluminum Aluma Crafts but not any fiberglass like mine. I have yet to date my boat but it's a '60s Alpex Sea Aira 170 with a 1964 75 hp Evinrude Speedifour. I gutted the hull an rebuilt it over the last two years and painted the exterior. It's a great boat for the little lake I live on.
th_P4130006.jpg
th_P7160027.jpg
th_P7160023.jpg
th_P6150033.jpg

goatherder

Seaman Apprentice

I've just ordered my first Alumacraft. It is the 1860 AW CC special, with a Suzuki 115 4 stroke. In other words it is an 18' jon boat, with a center console. I would have preferred the 2070, but it was green, and my wife ain't having none of that. I did ask them to check on the availability of a white 2070, but I fear I'll be out of luck.

The only other boat I considered was a Seaark 1870, but they wanted $5,000 more for that boat. I think either Alumacraft will do nicely for the money.

Temperature finally dropped below 90 here in Central Illinois last weekend so we got the Model F out and went for a boat ride. The 1955 Evinrude Fastwin 15 runs with the best of them:

072306a

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info on that motor. I was always wondering what year and hp. was on your pictured Model F. It's a perfect match, and I'm always looking at that picture when I'm here. It is very rare to see a rig like yours.

The motor pictured in my first message is a 1958 Evinrude Fleetwin 7.5hp. I'm running my restored 1955 Fastwin in the picture I just posted. Here it is just after I restored it. I should have mentioned this when I posted the first picture.

15014a.jpg

I also enjoy running old outboards like this 1948 Mercury KE-7 (one of 30+ old outboards in my collection) which is a model my dad owned when we fished in Northern Minnesota (Walker area):

Dsc02079.jpg

Dsc02080.jpg

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow!!!..... and now I have more great pictures to look at here. Thanks!

I shure miss your vintagealumacraft.com, and on that site I didn't know you were into the collection and restoration.

Pony

Rear Admiral

WOW that restoration on the motor is GREAT. I have a pic of me testing my restored rud on my Alumacraft, but it pales in comparison.
picture009im2.jpg

Here are a few shots of my 64 18hp. I have not done any cosmetic work to it, but I plan to this winter. I was using it while I was replacing the water pump on my normal motor

picture013tm7.jpg

Grandpa driving my boat:
picture016wp8.jpg

Pony, I should add that the restored Fastwin doesn't quite look like the picture these days after some intense fishing in Northern Wisconsin last summer d:) The Fastwin probably looks more like a year old motor these days. I'm not much into museum motors that never get run.

Wish I had a picture of my Grandpa running my boat. It doesn't get better than that.

Pony

Rear Admiral

No point in having it, if you aren't going to use it! I agree 100%.

You are right, it doesnt get better than that. That man loves fishing more than anything else. I have learned a lot from him over the years. Someday I hope to have that much wisdom.

MELSNER

Cadet

River said:
The boat is rated for 40 hp. and the transom is not reinforced. That extra wood is a piece added for the motor mounting bolts. The boat and motor set up was done by my marine dealer. They set it up for 50 MPH and we could not drive it at WOT, it was to fast. I had to slow it down for safety sake with weight and a different prop. With this motor on it is only for me to operate alone. The performance and power is awesome!<br /><br />I do switch motors on the boat, a 25 hp. and a 4 hp. for winter use. The 40 hp. is for summer, it makes the Mississippi river seem smaller. This boat is my favorite for so many reasons.<br /><br />
1zgqxj

MELSNER

Cadet

1959_FDR said:
VintageAlumacraft said:
You are very fortunate to have a nice FDR that hasn't been altered significantly from original. Only built in 1959 and 60. The only picture I have of the FDR is in a 1960 brochure. I'm sure yours will be a fine specimen once your restoration is completed. And yes, I'm drooling on my keyboard

Great tip on the brakefluid ! I have to try that to remove overspray on aluminum boat, I had heard that you can use it on glass windows, but have not tried it yet
just brush on and it's gone over night eh !

Some guys painted barn for my mom and went right over the windows, high powered paint spray went through cracks and got boat 2....

I "might" be able to be talked out of it ... ( grin)

timber527

Recruit

[attachment=img=F:\Documents and Settings\Frank Auriemma\Desktop]

1997 V16 with a 40 hp Yamaha. Estimated 500 hours. I am so glad to see people with old alumacrafts! I plan on keeping mine a long time.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Haven't posted in this thread in awhile, but I have done quite a bit of work to my boat in the last week or so. I know that many here don't agree with making these boats into something they are not by adding stuff and removing seats etc. I agree with that for the most part, a classic should stay a classic. Though my rig isnt a classic Alumacraft by any means, I have made it so that everything I have added is 100% removeable.

hpim0247lx1.jpg

BLLDOGG

Seaman

Looks nice. I wish we could trade :D
I think you turn a some what useless space into a nice storage space/ clean looking deck. How are those seats attatched? I read in another post that the clamps, which I was planning on buying, do not hold. Whats your trick?

Mine:

Picture009.jpg

Pony

Rear Admiral

Its tough to see in the picure, but I did put some storeage under that deck. Its not much, but at least its a place to keep the stuff I dont use every trip out.

picture003ml1.jpg

picture007tn7.jpg

As far as the seats go, I dont have a real good shot of them......but I will do my best to paint a mental picture. I have used those clamps you are talking about and they are pretty bad. It is impossible to get them tight enough, and if you lean back on the seat a little bit the start to slide off. On my boat the seat bracket/clamps are homemade. They are sheet metal formed to the bench shape. A seat swivel is bolted to a bracket that is welded to the top of the clamp. At the bottom or each side of the clamp where it reachers the bottom of the bench, there is a flange with 2 holes drilled into it. There are 2 long threaded rods that go through these 2 holes that "clasp" the seat bracket/clamp to the bench. One end of each rod has lock nut, the other a wing nut. So to take it off you just remove the wing nuts, slide the rods out and the lift the whole assembly off the bench.

BLLDOGG

Seaman

I like it. good idea. Whats the width and Gage of the sheet metal? Do you think its sturdy enough?