Aerocraft boat

saginawbayboater

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was driving through St Charles Michigan and drove past this old Aerocraft at the local museum. I took some pictures to share here on the forum.
I talked to the museum curator and he said the boat was donated as it was built in St Charles. He also thought the boat was an experimental or prototype model if I understood him correctly. Check it out it's really cool. Even the trailer has Aerocraft badges on it.

saginawbayboater

More pics

It is left hand **** pit and the engine controls are not factory.

The steering wheel says Marmal.

This is the badge on the trailer fender

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
She would make a neat resto. Almost expect a 50 cal. to rise out of the round bow hatch! Plenty of steel hardware to get rid of.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Probably just display her as she sits. A shame. :blue:

Our family was on the RR bridge over the Bad River in St.Charles when they were testing a simular/same model back in the 50/60's. My dad took a 16MM movie. We used to watch it in reverse and watch the wake go back under the stern. Yeesch, kids.
The Museum in St.C has limited funds and just blew their wad on a caboose for the Museum. They may have thoughts of refurbishing this boat, but the funds would be a distance off. I'll check with Jim Palmer, he runs the Museum and may know.
I grew up with the son of one of the owners of Aero Craft and was familiar with a lot of the goings-on. Leon Harkins moved to Big Rapids in the 70's and, with investors, started Michicraft Canoes. I was there several time in the infantcy years and they were growing in leaps and bounds. Some shipments went as far away as Alaska. I remember how much the driver disliked that trip.

saginawbayboater

Welcome to the forum Bad River Boater!!! :thumb: I talked to Jim a year or two back he was just laying the ground work for the caboose at the time. Which is interesting in itself, because the museum grounds used to be the train station years ago.

Jim didn't know what they were going to do with the boat for sure. He also has a great deal of historical photos and such on Aerocraft in the museum. Jim's a Super nice guy!!!!

After owning an Aerocraft, I backed into the historical side of the company. I bought my Aerocraft not knowing anything about it other than it floated and the motor ran. I did see on the tag it was built in St Charles, but that was it. It was what i found out later about Harwill, Aerocraft, Browning, Fuqua, Thompson and the Anderson's. I find it all very interesting!!!

And the Railroad bridge you spoke of was at the center of it all. You could throw a baseball and hit the original factory from that bridge. The factory now is a haunted house. I wonder if there is a haunted boat ride in there? WHOOOO!!!! LOL :laugh:

Good Stuff!!! :joyous:

Last edited: