Got Aerocraft?

Belt Fed

Recruit
Re: Got Aerocraft?

Hi everyone, I have a 16' AeroCraft square stern canoe. The hull identification no. is CSF82942. Is there any way to tell the year of manufacture by this number? It is left blank in my registration cert. I believe it is 1970 or earlier because it has a 1970 sticker on the bow. Thanks for your help.

DaHapstah

Recruit

I'd put it at 1969-1970. Definately earlier than '72.
There's no way to tell by the number itself, I had to add up the production numbers since 1946. Aerocraft serialed thier boats based on sheer production numbers, so yours is the 82,942th boat made since then. That's very late in Aerocrafts history. Actually, you have a "Browning Aerocraft" because Browning Arms bought Aerocraft out in 1969.

I know it's earlier than 1972, otherwise it would have had a 12 digit Hull Number.

The way the production numbers spread out, it's right on the line between '69 and '70. I tend to lean toward the earlier year.

I did all this for my boat, which I origionally thought to be an early '7o's boat, and it turned out to be a 1956!

To register your boat, you'll have to get it assigned a new HIN (12 digits) and when you do that, you can tell them what year you think it is. It doesn't have to be exact. Ohio is still under the impression that mine is a '67 because that was the previous owner's guess.

Hope this helps.

Belt Fed

Recruit

DaHapstah, Thanks for your reply. That photo in the 1967 catalog is exactly what I have. I got it used in 2009 it had a current Michigan sticker on it and the hull number assigned by the state. It also had an old sticker from 1970 still on it. It must have been used on lakes instead of rivers as it has very few dents in it. It is in extremely good condition for its age. I had to replace the original transom wood as it was rotted. It has the aluminum seats with styrofoam blocks. I run a 4 H.P. Merc on it. My guess is that it was bought new in 1970 but I dont know for sure.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I bought a boat this summer, the title says 1959 Jetcraft, but it looks much more
like an aero-craft, I posted a photo at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426661

More photos here

DD16241 is stamped on the transom (where HIN would be on a new boat)

Does anyone have a 1959 Aero-craft, or catalog?

I'd like to find out
If they changed the bow handle that year.
The size and location of the logo.
The capacity and HP rating.

Thanks.

bogey68

Cadet

I just picked up a ski-dart. I think it is. Numbers on the hull are DD16297 heres a pic.. Think im going to need some help. thanks Bogey68

Attachments

• skark.jpg
    skark.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 0

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Until now, mine was the only one I'd seen! My serial is just a few before yours, and I've been figuring it's from 1960 (it came with an early 1960 Johnson on it), tho the title said 1959 (it also called it a Jetcraft). For what it's worth, what does your title say?

In 1960 it was an "AeroLine" (budget) model, and I've never seen a 1960 catalog to see what the original paint was that year. The 1962 catalog shows a two-tone paint job (sold as an AeroCraft), but the 1959 AeroLine "RSD" is shown with one color in the '59 catalog.

This iboats page has before and after shots of mine, as well as the 1962 catalog photo: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426661

I've been collecting AeroCraft info at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/

bogey68

Cadet

My reg. says its an aeroliner...It has been sitting on a trailer since 1979.. Picked it up for 275.00 it was half full of water. Im not sure what i have. been looking for info. Found a add looks real close to a ski-dart. Im not sure. Started cleaning her out last night. Have to replace all the wood. looking for a dash hope i find some good wood. going to use marine plywood for the seats and stuff. Looking for a motor thinking 25 hp.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It looks like we have the same boat. I have the IDENTICAL steering wheel as well. They look just like the Ski-Dart/DD in the 1962 catalog.

I have record that the Ski-Dart/DD was also sold in 1961. And also that the DD was sold in 1960, as part of the budget "AeroLine" brand, but NOT whether it was called the Ski-Dart that year. There wasn't a DD in 1959, but there was an "RSD" budget (AeroLine) runabout, painted in one color (as opposed to the two tone visible in the 61 and 62 catalogs), so it's possible the 1960 version wasn't two tone. Mine came in what could have been original paint, in a pale green color.

Did you say you had found a Ski-Dart advertisement? Can you post a scan/photo of it?

Your windshield looks like a perfect match for the one in the '62 catalog, I'd love to get tracings of the shape (to cut a blank) and of the curvature (to make a mold to bend the blank on).

Mine makes 17MPH with about 400 pounds of passengers and gear and a 22ci Evinrude 18hp. The 1960-62 specs all say it was rated for 30hp. If I were to move up to a larger engine, I'd wish for a 1960-63 Gale, like this one or this Viking version, or the red and white Sea-King version.

The transom only has one knee, and even tho some previous owner added aluminum tubes from the transom up to the gunwales next to the back seat, I'm still not sure I'd want to hang a "big twin" there.

jerbearwin

Recruit
Can anyone provide information on this beauty?

Can anyone provide information on this beauty?

small_aerocraft-good-side-r.jpgsmall_aerocraft-good-profil.jpgsmall_aerocraft-good-front-.jpgsmall_aerocraft-good-back.jpgI purchased an old aluminum boat this summer. This is what I know about it:

- It is an Aerocraft
- Model ASD
- Serial number: 17278
- 14'-2" long
- 5'-8" beam
- 28.5" from top of deck to floor
- 2 seats

I have tried to upload some pics but it has failed each time and I lose all info. I'll try again.

Basically I want to know what year it is. I was told it was a 1958, however I do not see this model # anywhere.

Also, I have not seen one picture of a vessel exactly like this one. I'd like to know where the others are.

I have gone to the site that has all the Aerocraft model numbers and info, yet can't seem to find this model #. There must be an error somewhere, or there were only a few made this way, but I'm not sure.

This boat is in tremendous shape and I plan to refurbish it this winter. I have this beautiful 1964 Mercury 500 50hp Kaur
but it has a long shaft and I need a short shaft, plus the motor might be too much for it. I had it on it this summer a coupe of times and it flew, but water came in the back. I experimented with a temporary transom 5" taller. It was better but water still came in at full speed. I'd love to put the 50 on it, bt I don't know if I should jeopardize the beautiful lines in the back. There are ways I could do it classy, but I'm not sure if I should and don't know if the motor will still cause back splash. Any suggestions?

jerbearwin

Recruit
Re: Can anyone provide information on this beauty?

View attachment 171428View attachment 171429View attachment 171430View attachment 171431I purchased an old aluminum boat this summer. This is what I know about it:

- It is an Aerocraft
- Model ASD
- Serial number: 17278
- 14'-2" long
- 5'-8" beam
- 28.5" from top of deck to floor
- 2 seats

I have tried to upload some pics but it has failed each time and I lose all info. I'll try again.

Basically I want to know what year it is. I was told it was a 1958, however I do not see this model # anywhere.

Also, I have not seen one picture of a vessel exactly like this one. I'd like to know where the others are.

I have gone to the site that has all the Aerocraft model numbers and info, yet can't seem to find this model #. There must be an error somewhere, or there were only a few made this way, but I'm not sure.

This boat is in tremendous shape and I plan to refurbish it this winter. I have this beautiful 1964 Mercury 500 50hp Kaur
but it has a long shaft and I need a short shaft, plus the motor might be too much for it. I had it on it this summer a coupe of times and it flew, but water came in the back. I experimented with a temporary transom 5" taller. It was better but water still came in at full speed. I'd love to put the 50 on it, bt I don't know if I should jeopardize the beautiful lines in the back. There are ways I could do it classy, but I'm not sure if I should and don't know if the motor will still cause back splash. Any suggestions?

I found a picture of one just like it at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/0301/index.html, but he has the model number as "JSD" instead of "ASD". Mine clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker. Maybe I'll contact him and see if he can confirm that it is absolutely a "J" rather than an "A". Maybe mine is a special edition.

Also, I believe the closest reference to this is a 1966 "JSD", but as I have said it clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker on the boat. Everything seems to match-center deck, it had upholstered seats. I have all the aluminum that was the seats and the old seat material. I'm thinking this is what it is suppose to be.

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found a picture of one just like it at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/0301/index.html, but he has the model number as "JSD" instead of "ASD". Mine clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker. Maybe I'll contact him and see if he can confirm that it is absolutely a "J" rather than an "A". Maybe mine is a special edition.

That's my web site, and the boat you linked to is the one I'd pick as closest to yours as well.
The photos of that boat include the "OBC" tag, which is clearly stamped JSD, and a serial tag, which is less clear.
Serial number 17278 puts your boat just a little earlier.

In later years "A" was appended to models to indicate anodized finish (ie; JSDA, JA, QDA).
Does your boat have an anodized finish?

All the specs you've posted seem to match up to the "J", which was rated at 45HP. Was Mercury still underrating HP in 1964? I get 44ci for the "500", so I doubt it's terribly underrated.

Can you post (or send me) photos of the tag or tags that show the model and serial?
Thanks!!

P.S.
I *STRONGLY* doubt it's a 1958-- spray rails were longer, and curved by then, and almost all boats used a different bow handle (the one exception seems to be "TSD" models).

Any earlier than 1956, the letter "A" was used on other models.

jerbearwin

Recruit

That's my web site, and the boat you linked to is the one I'd pick as closest to yours as well.
The photos of that boat include the "OBC" tag, which is clearly stamped JSD, and a serial tag, which is less clear.
Serial number 17278 puts your boat just a little earlier.

In later years "A" was appended to models to indicate anodized finish (ie; JSDA, JA, QDA).
Does your boat have an anodized finish?

All the specs you've posted seem to match up to the "J", which was rated at 45HP. Was Mercury still underrating HP in 1964? I get 44ci for the "500", so I doubt it's terribly underrated.

Can you post (or send me) photos of the tag or tags that show the model and serial?
Thanks!!

P.S.
I *STRONGLY* doubt it's a 1958-- spray rails were longer, and curved by then, and almost all boats used a different bow handle (the one exception seems to be "TSD" models).

Any earlier than 1956, the letter "A" was used on other models.

-----------------------------------
Great! Thanks for the input and many thanks for the excellent site. I spend much time looking though all your information.

I'll upload the sticker from this boat. There is no plate like the one in the photo. The other stickers on the side are badly worn and hardly recognizable. The handles at the back are stamped "Aerocraft", but no other info there.

Attachments

• Aerocraft-tag.jpg
    Aerocraft-tag.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 1

jerbearwin

Recruit

This appears to be an anodized aluminum boat. What do you think? I think you can tell by the close up of the sticker.

westwind999

Recruit

I have a 1948 Aerocraft AD. I'm planning to put a Mercury KG7 on the back. It's pretty weight sensitive so I'm trying to get some weight off the transom. Right now it has two speeds, too slow and too fast, I'm trying to get some nice medium speeds.Aero Craft 009.jpg

silver_bay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 1948 Aerocraft AD. I'm planning to put a Mercury KG7 on the back. It's pretty weight sensitive so I'm trying to get some weight off the transom. Right now it has two speeds, too slow and too fast, I'm trying to get some nice medium speeds.View attachment 172779

From the information I've collected in 1949 the "A" was rated for 16hp, but by 1954 they had downrated it to 10hp (despite having deepened the hull from 19" to 22.5").

While the KG-7 was sold as "10hp" it had 19.8 cubic inches (and 8 reed valves). The Mark 28 isn't that much larger (22 cubic inches), and rated at 22hp. It may not be THAT much lighter either, depending on the year (70lbs vs 79lbs). Maybe a KG-4 or Mark 15 (57lbs) would be a tamer choice?

P.S. Do you have the serial number for your boat?

westwind999

Recruit

From the information I've collected in 1949 the "A" was rated for 16hp, but by 1954 they had downrated it to 10hp (despite having deepened the hull from 19" to 22.5").

While the KG-7 was sold as "10hp" it had 19.8 cubic inches (and 8 reed valves). The Mark 28 isn't that much larger (22 cubic inches), and rated at 22hp. It may not be THAT much lighter either, depending on the year (70lbs vs 79lbs). Maybe a KG-4 or Mark 15 (57lbs) would be a tamer choice?

P.S. Do you have the serial number for your boat?

9 lbs is still close to 15 percent. Also I won't have a tank and hose in the back of the boat. I'm also planning some trim tabs, I've seen some nice ones on a Feather Craft that look vintage and help out the planing a bit. (I also have a KE-4 I could try, might be good if I'm solo and the KG-7 if I have a passenger.)

The boat has the tag still but the serial number was just scribed on instead of stamping, can't really make out much of it.