Name:	IMG952630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	7039049

Here is my Aerocraft, a '55 CC-16 powered by a Mercury 500
    1974 Starcraft 24' Chieftan IV Express Hard top, 1984 Merc 898
    1972 Starcraft 18' Mariner, 1985 Evinrude 140HP
    >>>
    1969 MirroCraft 18.5' Center Console<<< AVOID https://forums.iboats.com/boat-restor...to-591439.html
    1965 Starcraft Jet, 1996 40 HP Force by Mercury- SOLD
    1955 Aerocraft CC-16 barrel back runabout, '67 Mercury 500
    SOLD

Comment

Can anyone provide information on this beauty?

Click image for larger version

Name:	small_aerocraft-good-side-r.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	7059207Click image for larger version

Name:	small_aerocraft-good-profil.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	7059208Click image for larger version

Name:	small_aerocraft-good-front-.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	7059209Click image for larger version

Name:	small_aerocraft-good-back.jpg
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	7059210I purchased an old aluminum boat this summer. This is what I know about it:

- It is an Aerocraft
      - Model ASD
      - Serial number: 17278
      - 14'-2" long
      - 5'-8" beam
      - 28.5" from top of deck to floor
      - 2 seats

I have tried to upload some pics but it has failed each time and I lose all info. I'll try again.

Basically I want to know what year it is. I was told it was a 1958, however I do not see this model # anywhere.

Also, I have not seen one picture of a vessel exactly like this one. I'd like to know where the others are.

I have gone to the site that has all the Aerocraft model numbers and info, yet can't seem to find this model #. There must be an error somewhere, or there were only a few made this way, but I'm not sure.

This boat is in tremendous shape and I plan to refurbish it this winter. I have this beautiful 1964 Mercury 500 50hp Kaur
      but it has a long shaft and I need a short shaft, plus the motor might be too much for it. I had it on it this summer a coupe of times and it flew, but water came in the back. I experimented with a temporary transom 5" taller. It was better but water still came in at full speed. I'd love to put the 50 on it, bt I don't know if I should jeopardize the beautiful lines in the back. There are ways I could do it classy, but I'm not sure if I should and don't know if the motor will still cause back splash. Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: Can anyone provide information on this beauty?

Originally posted by jerbearwin View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]171428[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]171429[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]171430[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]171431[/ATTACH]I purchased an old aluminum boat this summer. This is what I know about it:

- It is an Aerocraft
        - Model ASD
        - Serial number: 17278
        - 14'-2" long
        - 5'-8" beam
        - 28.5" from top of deck to floor
        - 2 seats

I have tried to upload some pics but it has failed each time and I lose all info. I'll try again.

Basically I want to know what year it is. I was told it was a 1958, however I do not see this model # anywhere.

Also, I have not seen one picture of a vessel exactly like this one. I'd like to know where the others are.

I have gone to the site that has all the Aerocraft model numbers and info, yet can't seem to find this model #. There must be an error somewhere, or there were only a few made this way, but I'm not sure.

This boat is in tremendous shape and I plan to refurbish it this winter. I have this beautiful 1964 Mercury 500 50hp Kaur
        but it has a long shaft and I need a short shaft, plus the motor might be too much for it. I had it on it this summer a coupe of times and it flew, but water came in the back. I experimented with a temporary transom 5" taller. It was better but water still came in at full speed. I'd love to put the 50 on it, bt I don't know if I should jeopardize the beautiful lines in the back. There are ways I could do it classy, but I'm not sure if I should and don't know if the motor will still cause back splash. Any suggestions?
        I found a picture of one just like it at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/0301/index.html, but he has the model number as "JSD" instead of "ASD". Mine clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker. Maybe I'll contact him and see if he can confirm that it is absolutely a "J" rather than an "A". Maybe mine is a special edition.

Also, I believe the closest reference to this is a 1966 "JSD", but as I have said it clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker on the boat. Everything seems to match-center deck, it had upholstered seats. I have all the aluminum that was the seats and the old seat material. I'm thinking this is what it is suppose to be.

Comment

I found a picture of one just like it at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/0301/index.html, but he has the model number as "JSD" instead of "ASD". Mine clearly shows "ASD" on the sticker. Maybe I'll contact him and see if he can confirm that it is absolutely a "J" rather than an "A". Maybe mine is a special edition.
          That's my web site, and the boat you linked to is the one I'd pick as closest to yours as well.
          The photos of that boat include the "OBC" tag, which is clearly stamped JSD, and a serial tag, which is less clear.
          Serial number 17278 puts your boat just a little earlier.

In later years "A" was appended to models to indicate anodized finish (ie; JSDA, JA, QDA).
          Does your boat have an anodized finish?

All the specs you've posted seem to match up to the "J", which was rated at 45HP. Was Mercury still underrating HP in 1964? I get 44ci for the "500", so I doubt it's terribly underrated.

Can you post (or send me) photos of the tag or tags that show the model and serial?
          Thanks!!

P.S.
          I *STRONGLY* doubt it's a 1958-- spray rails were longer, and curved by then, and almost all boats used a different bow handle (the one exception seems to be "TSD" models).

Any earlier than 1956, the letter "A" was used on other models.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bay View Post
            That's my web site, and the boat you linked to is the one I'd pick as closest to yours as well.
            The photos of that boat include the "OBC" tag, which is clearly stamped JSD, and a serial tag, which is less clear.
            Serial number 17278 puts your boat just a little earlier.

In later years "A" was appended to models to indicate anodized finish (ie; JSDA, JA, QDA).
            Does your boat have an anodized finish?

All the specs you've posted seem to match up to the "J", which was rated at 45HP. Was Mercury still underrating HP in 1964? I get 44ci for the "500", so I doubt it's terribly underrated.

Can you post (or send me) photos of the tag or tags that show the model and serial?
            Thanks!!

P.S.
            I *STRONGLY* doubt it's a 1958-- spray rails were longer, and curved by then, and almost all boats used a different bow handle (the one exception seems to be "TSD" models).

Any earlier than 1956, the letter "A" was used on other models.
            -----------------------------------
            Great! Thanks for the input and many thanks for the excellent site. I spend much time looking though all your information.

I'll upload the sticker from this boat. There is no plate like the one in the photo. The other stickers on the side are badly worn and hardly recognizable. The handles at the back are stamped "Aerocraft", but no other info there.
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: Got Aerocraft?

This appears to be an anodized aluminum boat. What do you think? I think you can tell by the close up of the sticker.

Comment

I have a 1948 Aerocraft AD. I'm planning to put a Mercury KG7 on the back. It's pretty weight sensitive so I'm trying to get some weight off the transom. Right now it has two speeds, too slow and too fast, I'm trying to get some nice medium speeds.Click image for larger version

Name:	Aero Craft 009.jpg
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	7060094

Comment

Originally posted by westwind999 View Post
                  I have a 1948 Aerocraft AD. I'm planning to put a Mercury KG7 on the back. It's pretty weight sensitive so I'm trying to get some weight off the transom. Right now it has two speeds, too slow and too fast, I'm trying to get some nice medium speeds.[ATTACH=CONFIG]172779[/ATTACH]
                  From the information I've collected in 1949 the "A" was rated for 16hp, but by 1954 they had downrated it to 10hp (despite having deepened the hull from 19" to 22.5").

While the KG-7 was sold as "10hp" it had 19.8 cubic inches (and 8 reed valves). The Mark 28 isn't that much larger (22 cubic inches), and rated at 22hp. It may not be THAT much lighter either, depending on the year (70lbs vs 79lbs). Maybe a KG-4 or Mark 15 (57lbs) would be a tamer choice?

P.S. Do you have the serial number for your boat?

Comment

This appears to be an anodized aluminum boat. What do you think? I think you can tell by the close up of the sticker.
                    How about the deck?
                    Last edited by silver_bay; October 23rd, 2012, 09:08 PM. Reason: fix typo

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bay View Post
                      From the information I've collected in 1949 the "A" was rated for 16hp, but by 1954 they had downrated it to 10hp (despite having deepened the hull from 19" to 22.5").

While the KG-7 was sold as "10hp" it had 19.8 cubic inches (and 8 reed valves). The Mark 28 isn't that much larger (22 cubic inches), and rated at 22hp. It may not be THAT much lighter either, depending on the year (70lbs vs 79lbs). Maybe a KG-4 or Mark 15 (57lbs) would be a tamer choice?

P.S. Do you have the serial number for your boat?
                      9 lbs is still close to 15 percent. Also I won't have a tank and hose in the back of the boat. I'm also planning some trim tabs, I've seen some nice ones on a Feather Craft that look vintage and help out the planing a bit. (I also have a KE-4 I could try, might be good if I'm solo and the KG-7 if I have a passenger.)

The boat has the tag still but the serial number was just scribed on instead of stamping, can't really make out much of it.

Comment

I have a 12' aerocraft sea sled brass tag ser.no.G1273M the number is hand inscribed, what is year of manufacture?

Comment

I have a 1959 18' Adventurer Serial AD 26259.

Comment

Working...
                          X