Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got Aerocraft?

Originally posted by DaHapstah View Post
    I've just aquired a pre - 1963 (?) AeroCraft 14' jon boat. I can only suppose it's a pre '63 because that was when Browning bought them out, I think. Logically, if it was made after '63 the decals would say "Browning AeroCraft" or something like that, I would think.

Interesingly, the decal only has the "AeroCraft" name and not the ship graphic underneath, so based on that I think the boat may be considerably older than '63.

It currently has about 5 coats of different paints on it and a few rivet leaks, as well as a small split in the hull - all reparable IMO.

I'll be powering this boat with a 1956 Johnson SeaHorse 5.5.

Best of all - boat and motor were free.
    Nice score there dahapstah

Sounds like a nice little project, I have a few things left to do on my 12' AeroCraft, you should start a restoration thread and post some photos
    sigpic
    '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
    12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
    Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Update:

I bought a 1964 Aerocraft catalog off eBay recently. I guess it makes sense that a boat manufactured in 1963 would be considered a 1964 model, like cars are. It turns out that ours is a QD-14 Ski Dart. There was a good enough picture in the catalog to see how it looked originally, and it turns out that this one hasn't been too badly molested after all.

Funny to think that back then this would qualify as a ski boat. By modern standards - forget it.

Looking forward to spring...

Comment

New to me - 1958 Aerocraft

Here she is.
        Apparently anodized yellow on the deck and seatbacks, blue or purple elsewhere?

Soft nose, curved hips. Lovely! Original ( I think) electric start Evinrude 35hp outboard.
        Attached Files

Comment

Update on my old Aerocraft:

Well, it turns out that based on Aerocraft's production numbers I have a 1954 S-14. It also turned out that my motoer is in fact a 1954 Johnson Seahorse 5.5! I decided to name the rig the "Time Bandit". I've spent the past months (on and off) stripping off the old paint, sealing all the rivets - the sticks that ******* sells are awesome for this task BTW - I added some diamond tread aluminum to the bow and replaced the missing bow eye and grab handle, removing the bathroom towel bar that a previous owner put on it. Finally, I wrapped it in a coat of wonderful olive drab paint made by Parker that I also got from *******.

I gave the trailer a new deck. It was still set up for a V hull and was denting the crap out of the Jon. Shot a fresh coat of paint on it and re wired it.

As for the motor - I decided to do the vacuum pump conversion I saw on "old boat motor dot org (or whatever that site was). It work - eh - ok. One unintended consequence is that the port that supplies the pulse is waaaay wet and it froths a little bit of fuel/oil out of the pump's atmospheric vent. This week I'll re-convert it back. I also expect the motor to run better since I suspect that I've fouled up the fuel flow somehow with that conversion. I know a lot of guys don't care for the pressurized systems but I'm not particularly concerned that I'll get blown up.

All in all the rig runs nice and it's perfect for my local river. Bad luck I guess that I finished it this week - the fishing is pretty bad right now

Comment

Glad to hear you've been working on the old tin can, if you want you can post some photos here or start a restoration thread. Sounds like she's a whole new rig
            sigpic
            '79 16' Starcraft SuperSport
            12' AeroCraft '55 Johnson 5.5hp
            Starcraft brochures thread

Comment

Hi everyone, I have a 16' AeroCraft square stern canoe. The hull identification no. is CSF82942. Is there any way to tell the year of manufacture by this number? It is left blank in my registration cert. I believe it is 1970 or earlier because it has a 1970 sticker on the bow. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I'd put it at 1969-1970. Definately earlier than '72.
                There's no way to tell by the number itself, I had to add up the production numbers since 1946. Aerocraft serialed thier boats based on sheer production numbers, so yours is the 82,942th boat made since then. That's very late in Aerocrafts history. Actually, you have a "Browning Aerocraft" because Browning Arms bought Aerocraft out in 1969.

I know it's earlier than 1972, otherwise it would have had a 12 digit Hull Number.

The way the production numbers spread out, it's right on the line between '69 and '70. I tend to lean toward the earlier year.

I did all this for my boat, which I origionally thought to be an early '7o's boat, and it turned out to be a 1956!

To register your boat, you'll have to get it assigned a new HIN (12 digits) and when you do that, you can tell them what year you think it is. It doesn't have to be exact. Ohio is still under the impression that mine is a '67 because that was the previous owner's guess.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Here's an image of the 1967 catalog: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library...raftb67020.jpg

Is that what you've got?

Comment

DaHapstah, Thanks for your reply. That photo in the 1967 catalog is exactly what I have. I got it used in 2009 it had a current Michigan sticker on it and the hull number assigned by the state. It also had an old sticker from 1970 still on it. It must have been used on lakes instead of rivers as it has very few dents in it. It is in extremely good condition for its age. I had to replace the original transom wood as it was rotted. It has the aluminum seats with styrofoam blocks. I run a 4 H.P. Merc on it. My guess is that it was bought new in 1970 but I dont know for sure.

Comment

I bought a boat this summer, the title says 1959 Jetcraft, but it looks much more
                      like an aero-craft, I posted a photo at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426661

More photos here

DD16241 is stamped on the transom (where HIN would be on a new boat)

Does anyone have a 1959 Aero-craft, or catalog?

I'd like to find out
                      If they changed the bow handle that year.
                      The size and location of the logo.
                      The capacity and HP rating.

Thanks.

Comment

I just picked up a ski-dart. I think it is. Numbers on the hull are DD16297 heres a pic.. Think im going to need some help. thanks Bogey68
                        Attached Files

Comment

Until now, mine was the only one I'd seen! My serial is just a few before yours, and I've been figuring it's from 1960 (it came with an early 1960 Johnson on it), tho the title said 1959 (it also called it a Jetcraft). For what it's worth, what does your title say?

In 1960 it was an "AeroLine" (budget) model, and I've never seen a 1960 catalog to see what the original paint was that year. The 1962 catalog shows a two-tone paint job (sold as an AeroCraft), but the 1959 AeroLine "RSD" is shown with one color in the '59 catalog.

This iboats page has before and after shots of mine, as well as the 1962 catalog photo: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=426661

I've been collecting AeroCraft info at http://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/

Comment

My reg. says its an aeroliner...It has been sitting on a trailer since 1979.. Picked it up for 275.00 it was half full of water. Im not sure what i have. been looking for info. Found a add looks real close to a ski-dart. Im not sure. Started cleaning her out last night. Have to replace all the wood. looking for a dash hope i find some good wood. going to use marine plywood for the seats and stuff. Looking for a motor thinking 25 hp.

Comment

heres a few pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	7127933557_83631e37a0_b.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	7036473Click image for larger version

Name:	inside1.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	7036474Click image for larger version

Name:	stear.jpg
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	7036475

Comment

It looks like we have the same boat. I have the IDENTICAL steering wheel as well. They look just like the Ski-Dart/DD in the 1962 catalog.

I have record that the Ski-Dart/DD was also sold in 1961. And also that the DD was sold in 1960, as part of the budget "AeroLine" brand, but NOT whether it was called the Ski-Dart that year. There wasn't a DD in 1959, but there was an "RSD" budget (AeroLine) runabout, painted in one color (as opposed to the two tone visible in the 61 and 62 catalogs), so it's possible the 1960 version wasn't two tone. Mine came in what could have been original paint, in a pale green color.

Did you say you had found a Ski-Dart advertisement? Can you post a scan/photo of it?

Your windshield looks like a perfect match for the one in the '62 catalog, I'd love to get tracings of the shape (to cut a blank) and of the curvature (to make a mold to bend the blank on).

Mine makes 17MPH with about 400 pounds of passengers and gear and a 22ci Evinrude 18hp. The 1960-62 specs all say it was rated for 30hp. If I were to move up to a larger engine, I'd wish for a 1960-63 Gale, like this one or this Viking version, or the red and white Sea-King version.

The transom only has one knee, and even tho some previous owner added aluminum tubes from the transom up to the gunwales next to the back seat, I'm still not sure I'd want to hang a "big twin" there.

Comment

Working...
                                X