One of the many benefits of a roller trailer...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: One of the many benefits of a roller trailer...

Mel, please respect our rules about reopening long dead threads. It is in the rules, it is in a notice at the top of each forum and it is in the BIG RED BANNER that you ignored when you posted to this thread.

If you have any suggestions on how we can get you, and many newbies, to respect this rule, please PM me.

nwcove

Admiral

maybe make that big red banner...BIGGER.....and make it flash!!

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Mel, please respect our rules about reopening long dead threads. It is in the rules, it is in a notice at the top of each forum and it is in the BIG RED BANNER that you ignored when you posted to this thread.

If you have any suggestions on how we can get you, and many newbies, to respect this rule, please PM me.

JB,

Your reprimand noted and accepted. Please accept my apologies for the screw up. I don't honestly know how I missed the fact that this was an old thread. Perhaps it was because I saw dates from April 2012 and read the year as 2013. Or maybe it has something to do with age. I turned 75 years old last Tuesday and there's no denying that I'm not as sharp as I once was.

As far as me being a noobie, I guess my question is: at what point does one cease to be a noobie? I've been a member of iBoats forums since 2009. And while I don't post often I do come to these forums almost every day and I have to say that I've gained a lot more knowledge from my time spent here than I've contributed.

At any rate, I had no idea that such a mistake was such a serious matter. So, in the future I'll go elsewhere for my online boating connections.

Thanks,

Mel

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what happened, but when I joined and was a newbie I reopened an old thread. I was not reprimanded in front of all on here. Another member mentioned in an answer that the post was older and shouldn't be replied to. I guess helping another boater is out of the question, if a rule was bent or broke. WOW!!!!

In addition the old post that I reopened had the only information about my restoration project that I was working on. The information that resulted from replies I got after reopening was invaluable and the only response I have had in over 4 years. The original poster sent the info that I was looking for.

I think an apology should be made to Mel

Thanks for the soap box.

JB

Didn't mean to call you a newbie, Mel. My apology. I meant you plus many newbies, not many other newbies.

Beeched, please observe rule #9

9. If you have questions, concerns, suggestions or complaints about the rules, moderation, or management of this site please contact a moderator via PM or iboats management for discussion. It is forbidden to debate these rules or their enforcement in the forum.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

are you guys gonna be that petty.
the reason people are getting hot headed about the rules is cuz people dont read em.
there is a reason for rules, and if you dont read or obey them expect to get reprimanded publicly, so that all people know what not to do.
since most dont read the rules, the only way they learn is through reprimand, or watching others get reprimanded.
so just get over yourself realize you made a mistake.
realize its just the freaking internet.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

now jb you should just close this thread and stop it in its tracks

Beeched

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep,,,close it,,,I am tired of this anyway. I=Boats has gone downhill since 2002. Take me and all correspondence out of I=boats and the forum.

Rule 1. Treat others as you would be treated. You broke that rule.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The moderators do a good job, and have a lot on their hands, and one of the natural problems with email and posting is that an unintended tone can come out--the difference between giving information or a rule reminder, and dumping on someone.

But I don't like the way they hide behind "Rule 9: No comments about us" when there are constructive suggestions, or fair criticism, that other members might want to read or comment on. We can address each other's positions publicly but not those of the Moderators.

oldjeep

Admiral

So he forgot the rear straps and the safety chain. I call him an idiot but his wife was probably rushing him. At least the motor was up.

Or some smartass disconnected all that stuff while it was sitting in his yard.

oldjeep

Admiral

Not sure why dragging up an old thread in the stupid human tricks forum matters. Its not like someone responding to a year old tech question, it is just bringing the funny picture and discussion back up to the top for those who never saw it the first time.

JB

The rule does not specify exceptions, but is overlooked in the case of some threads, like Boat pix, etc. The concern is loading up pages with old stuff and driving current, active threads off the top page. This is particularly important during "the season".

Interesting thought, though, OJ. :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

This is what the safety chain is for. With no safety chain and a dodgy winch, this guy would of been in the same situation even if it was a bunk trailer. In fact if it had good bunk system with a proper silicon coating and not just 2 pieces of timber covered in carpet he would of lost the boat quicker. Boats slide off silicon bunks very easily....

I could never understand why anyone would put stuff on the bunks to make the boat slide around more. If you position your trailer well, the boat will just glide on and a few ez cranks and your done. I hear these stories of people who want to make em slick and it just blows me away. That's why they have ramps, so you can back down far enough to load your boat.
If you are all tired after loading your boat, chances are good you didn't back down far enough.
The picture is rather like a poster child of what not to do with your boat and trailer, but I didn't see a trailer in that shot.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Low water mid and later summer the last few years here in the mid-US leaving many ramps operating at or past the end of the ramp, lot of drop offs, holes, very easy to hang a trailer when backing in that far.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is actually the reason I never put rollers on my trailers. Not because this could happen, more because it WOULD happen to me, and when there are people with cameras around!:facepalm:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I could never understand why anyone would put stuff on the bunks to make the boat slide around more. If you position your trailer well, the boat will just glide on and a few ez cranks and your done. I hear these stories of people who want to make em slick and it just blows me away. That's why they have ramps, so you can back down far enough to load your boat.
If you are all tired after loading your boat, chances are good you didn't back down far enough.

not in salt water where you avoid dunking the trailer.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I thought I was having a bad day until I saw this.