One of the many benefits of a roller trailer...

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander
Re: One of the many benefits of a roller trailer...

Not a fan of roller trailers for this very reason, I'll take my bunk with no silicone please. If it wont slide on easy your not backed down far enough. That sliding thing is a two way road, some just learn the hard way. I have seen more than one roller trailer and boat at the ramp with bad concrete rash, use the safety chains, and life stays good regardless of what your rig sits on.

jkust

Rear Admiral

So he forgot the rear straps and the safety chain. I call him an idiot but his wife was probably rushing him. At least the motor was up.

marcoalza

Chief Petty Officer

Imagine what could have happened if he got to the freeway and was doing 60 mph.
Doesn't bear thinking about.:eek:

No apologies for getting serious on this thread but the guy is an idiot and irresponsible.
Simple safety checks, totally ignored.:mad:

I wonder what he's like on the water........

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good thing the motor was trimmed up.
brought to you by the skeg:)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I wonder what he's like on the water........

Maybe this was God's big hint that he needs to take up golf. 'cept people like that don't usually take hints.

Although I think we all have to say, "there but for the grace of God go I" (not getting all religious; it's a famous saying meaning it could happen to anyone). He may have had the boat off in the yard working on it, or other reasons to unhook, and got distracted. If you can honestly say you have never forgotten to latch down the trailer tongue, then it's just a matter of time that you will. All the laminated duplicated prominently posted check lists can't stop all mistakes.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if he had sense to put the truck in neutral and winch it back instead of dragging the boat back to the stationairy trailor?

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Ok, boats off! Go get the garden hose!"

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wonder if he had sense to put the truck in neutral and winch it back instead of dragging the boat back to the stationairy trailor?

You saw the picture right? :D I'm willing to bet he doesn't know the engine requires motor oil, let alone simple physics principles... Clearly he doesnt understand simple gravity principles, just look at his trowsers!

FlaCowboy

Ensign

I wonder if this fella is any kin to the guy in the other thread that lost his van while launching a jet ski...? :D

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Poor guy - we have all done forgetful stuff. I bet he won't forget anymore.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Forgetful?
Three things could have possibly saved him but none of them were done; safety chain, transom strap (it only takes one to avoid this result but two would be extra special) and not even the winch strap was connected! That's going a bit past forgetful into serious safety hazard territory...

Checklist:
1. Beer
2. ?

Good to go!

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing the latch on the winch was disengaged? and no straps on the stern?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'm guessing the latch on the winch was disengaged? and no straps on the stern?

I don't see anything hooked up although he's standing at the winch and may have cranked it up. My guess is that he unhooked everything to wax/clean the boat (hull) and forgot to hook it all back up. Another reason not to clean your boat.

Droopy

Seaman Apprentice

Look ma! I saved some gas winching the boat all the way home!

bucket of rivets

Seaman Apprentice

Forgetful?
Three things could have possibly saved him but none of them were done; safety chain, transom strap (it only takes one to avoid this result but two would be extra special) and not even the winch strap was connected! That's going a bit past forgetful into serious safety hazard territory...

Checklist:
1. Beer
2. ?

Good to go!

I think I agree with this one the most.
In the pic I see the winch strap or rope hanging all around the winch post. My guess is that he stopped at the crossroad, gunned it and the winch let go, unwound the rope or strap, and came disconnected from the hub. No safety chain, no transom straps, and from what I can see, no safety chains at the hitch either.

The bottom line is that not much was done right or he wouldn't be in that situation.
I've been boating for 35 years now and have never yet dropped a boat or lost a trailer.
Chances are that even a back up rope tied to the boat from the trailer would have prevented such a failure.
I don't think I'd ever rely on just one means of securing a boat.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

Garmin GPS to Driver: "You have arrived at your Decimation, errr Destination!"

Water_God32

Seaman

At least it's not spread all over the interstate!

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

If you can honestly say you have never forgotten to latch down the trailer tongue said:
Been there done that, drove fifty miles at highway speeds over a bumpy paved road before I realized my mistake when I went to launch. How that thing managed to stay on the hitch ball is still a mystery to me.

64osby

Admiral

Bubba's Boat Storage now offers pick up and drop off service. It's the guys first day on the job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Way dead thread guys.