I think this guy just admitted causing a double fatality on Lake Scugog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Two boaters died last weekend on the lake where I live.
Here's an interview with the driver of the boat they crashed into.
See if you come to the same conclusion I did when I read what this guy says about his boat's lights
It's like he has no idea what he did wrong, and no one (lawyer?) has explained it to him apparently
Wow...just admitted to causing 2 deaths and he thinks they were at fault

http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/article/181012
Fatal Lake Scugog crash haunts Clarington firefighter

Richard Day recalls Canada Day boat collision

Jul 08, 2011 - 04:02 PM

Chris Hall

SCUGOG -- As the lights of an approaching boat got closer and closer in the pitch-black darkness, Richard Day swung his boat away, giving the craft a wide berth.

Mr. Day and his passengers, three family members and two friends, had just watched the Canada Day fireworks explode over Lake Scugog in Port Perry and were heading for home when they rounded the northern tip of Scugog Island.

Heading southeast to Caesarea to drop off one of his daughter's friends before making a beeline for Ball Point, Mr. Day deftly maneuvered his 20-foot Regal boat away from the northbound vessel.

"I gave them a wide berth; there's no need to go so close, but it wasn't enough," said Mr. Day, recalling the moments before the two craft collided just before 11 p.m. on July 1, leaving two men dead. "It's almost like they turned towards us."

Mr. Day, a Clarington firefighter, stressed repeatedly that he had his docking lights on and that it would be nearly impossible to miss his boat in the night.

But they didn't.

As Mr. Day, 47, cranked the wheel of his Regal hard in an attempt to turn away from the approaching craft, the Mastercraft vessel, carrying two men, slammed into the side of his banking boat.

The force of the collision pushed the smaller boat under the Regal, shearing off the front seat and dash, recalled Mr. Day.

"They came in so fast and so hard," said Mr. Day. "I've never been hit so hard in my life."

Mr. Day estimated he was travelling about 30 miles an hour at the time of the collision; he wouldn't guess how fast the Mastercraft was going.

"They were moving at a rapid speed towards us."

The impact between the two vessels sent everyone in Mr. Day's Regal pinballing around the boat. Two young girls, 12 and 14, fell overboard.

Mr. Day immediately put his boat in reverse and then came to a full stop, fearful that he might run over someone. He knew one of his daughters had been thrown into the water, but it took a second of scrambling to realize both girls were in Lake Scugog.

Once he located a flashlight, Mr. Day quickly spotted the girls about 30 feet from the boat. They were banged up and bruised, but stayed calm in the water together until they were pulled back aboard, he said.

Unsure of how much damage his Regal sustained, Mr. Day piloted his boat to the remains of the Mastercraft vessel and, after speaking with nearby boaters about the collision, headed for the Caesarea Pier.

"I wasn't sinking, but I didn't know I wasn't sinking," he said.

Emergency crews were quickly dispatched to the crash site but the two men in the Mastercraft couldn't be located. After an extensive search, Durham police, with help from the York Region force, pulled the bodies of the two men from Lake Scugog over the following three days.

Jeffrey Wilkinson, 38, of Washburn Island, was located about 100 metres from the crash scene on Sunday night. David Tyrrell, 49, of Thurstonia, was found near Washburn Island by a citizen early Monday evening.

The men are said to have been travelling westbound in the Mastercraft boat after leaving from a Washburn Island address, according to police.

The incident has left Mr. Day so shaken up he's taken a leave from work.

"I keep thinking something's going to drive into me. I (see) this sort of thing for a living, but it's different when it's your family," he said.

"I'm glad to be alive and then I realize someone died," continued Mr. Day. "The whole thing sucks, there was no need for it."

Anyone who witnessed the accident and who has not yet spoken to police is asked to contact Constable Robert Spring of the Traffic Services Branch at 1-888-579-1520 ext 5237.

Anonymous tips can be made through Crime Stoppers by calling 1-800-222-8477 or visiting www.durhamregionalcrimestoppers.ca.

zagger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I think this guy just admitted causing a double fatality on Lake Scugog

Not sure I see it as clear as you do. Docking lights work independent of Nav lights. He was wrong to have them on while underway, not sure that is against the law, and 30 MPH after dark might be in violation of local speed law but seams both boats were operating to fast for conditions. Real shame is two people lost their lives, only good thing, if there could be anything good about such tragic accident is that the two girls in water were not seriously injured.

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

First and foremost...

There, but for the grace of God, go I.

Now...

Mr. Day estimated he was travelling about 30 miles an hour at the time of the collision; he wouldn't guess how fast the Mastercraft was going.

I just returned from a week of boating in the 1000 Islands near Alexandria Bay -- another narrow, irregular, popular waterway with multiple dockages and more lights than a Christmas tree. In many areas there, the nighttime speed limit is 15 mph ... and I was hesitant to be on the water at all after dark. 30 mph?

Unsure of how much damage his Regal sustained, Mr. Day piloted his boat to the remains of the Mastercraft vessel and, after speaking with nearby boaters about the collision, headed for the Caesarea Pier.

I'm a news editor, and I understand that the reporter here may not have understood all the legal and ethical implications of this sentence. However, for me, all sorts of alarm bells go off when I read that the captain left the scene.

My heart goes out to all involved...
Dave

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sorry if I was coming across as disrespectful to the men who lost their lives with this thread....it's just my jaw kind of hit my chest as I was reading the news article...
It is very sad.

If he talked to a lawyer, the lawyer isn't a good one...or he didn't heed the advice. I wondered about leaving the scene...he might have checked the bilge for water first....

just reviewing the online study guide for the Canadian boater exam - oddly not much about speed...

trying to make sure I understand and am complying with the lights. Honestly, I wasn't aware of the masthead light. I have never seen that. The "all round" white light seems pretty standard:
NavLight_combo_runabout.gif

Provisions of the Collision Regulations pertaining to lights and shapes.

A ?masthead light? means a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of a pleasure craft showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of a pleasure craft as described in the collision Regulations, Rule 21
?Sidelights? means a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side as described in the Collision Regulations, Rule 21
A ?stern light? means a white light placed as nearly as practical at the stern showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 135 degrees and so fixed as to show the light 67.5 degrees from right aft on each side of a pleasure craft as described in the Collision Regulations, Rule 21.
An ?all-round light? means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360 degrees as described in the Collision Regulations, Rule 21.
The operator of a pleasure power driven craft underway shall, from sunset to sunrise, exhibit a masthead light forward, sidelights, and a stern light as described in the Collision Regulations, Rules 20 and 23.
The operator of a pleasure power driven craft of less than 12 metres in length underway, may exhibit, from sunset to sunrise, in lieu of a masthead light forward, sidelights, and a stern light, an all-round white light and sidelights as described in the Collision Regulations, Rules 20 and 23.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

A few things to consider as well. Perhaps his terminology was off because of the emotional toll of the accident and he confused "docking lights" with "running lights". Perhaps he had his actual docking lights (hull mounted fore facing lights) on to see in the darkness, which may mess up night vision for other boaters, but is hard to miss at night. Perhaps the news reporter messed up on the terminology of the lights that were on.

Another thought about him leaving the scene...if he wasn't equipped with a VHF (many smaller boats are not), aside from a cell phone, how would he report the incident if he didn't leave the scene? He advised that "he didn't know he wasn't sinking". Perhaps after speaking with the other boaters about the collision, they remained on scene in known sound watercraft while he moved his "possibly compromised" vessel to safe water.

I'm sure there are a hundred possibilities and questions/answers that will come up during the investigation. And I'm willing to bet alcohol played a part in there as well (Fourth of July).

My condolences to all involved. More needless fatalities.

dbuffington

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Perhaps the news reporter messed up on the terminology of the lights that were on.

Again, as a news editor, I know that even highly skilled and dedicated reporters can and do make errors in terminology. (Don't even get me started on how reporters tend to muck up gun terminology.)

I'm sure there are a hundred possibilities and questions/answers that will come up during the investigation. And I'm willing to bet alcohol played a part in there as well (Fourth of July).

So am I. Sadly.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

It was actually the 1st of July according to the article. But that was a friday so the bums that rammed the poor fireman were probly drunk for the weekend already anyway, right?

Too bad Mr Wilkinson & Mr Tyrrell aren't around to tell their side of the story. I'd advise Mr Day to stop flapping his lips trying to convince everyone how innocent he is & get in contact with an attorney or two. He might need one. Was his BAC tested afterward I wonder?

I reckon both vessels were operating at excessive speed for the conditions. And at least one had insufficient lighting?

May those killed RIP.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

I must say Mr Days story is quite entertaining. Though his boat & passengers seem to defy the laws of physics. At 30mph he would've been traveling 44ft per second. Amazing that he was able to stop, throw his vessel into reverse(?!), and rescue the young ladies who'd 'fallen overboard' within 30ft of him, with only a flashlight?

A true hero ...

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its in Canada, 1st of July is Canada day.

1fast6

Seaman

I must say Mr Days story is quite entertaining. Though his boat & passengers seem to defy the laws of physics. At 30mph he would've been traveling 44ft per second. Amazing that he was able to stop, throw his vessel into reverse(?!), and rescue the young ladies who'd 'fallen overboard' within 30ft of him, with only a flashlight?

A true hero ...

His statement would suggest he was going slower than 30mph. Did they do a tox on the driver of the other boat? Sounds like the other boat was at fault. Mr. Day tried to void the collision but the other boat was traveling to fast or wasn't paying attention to the water. Why could Mr. Day see them but they couldn't/didn't see him?
Tragic accident... Let's leave it at that....

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I must say Mr Days story is quite entertaining.

1) It's not Mr Day's story... it is someone else's written account of the accident..as interpreted from witness statements.

Though his boat & passengers seem to defy the laws of physics. At 30mph he would've been traveling 44ft per second. Amazing that he was able to stop, throw his vessel into reverse(?!), and rescue the young ladies who'd 'fallen overboard' within 30ft of him, with only a flashlight?

2) The collision...probably essentially "inelastic", could very easily allow the situation as described. The girls would have been ejected in a direction close to that of the resultant "m1 + m2". Overall speed of the two boats could have been almost zero.

Nobody is defying the laws of physics...just your understanding of those laws.;)

A true hero ...

Very nice...an accident about which you know very little of the facts and you'd make a comment like that?
Attaboy...stay classy... :rolleyes:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Double tragedy on Lake Scugog
by Rik Davie and Blake Wolfe/The Scugog Standard

Canada Day celebrations turned tragic late Friday evening when two boats collided on Lake Scugog leaving two men dead and two girls injured.

According to police and fire reports, two men - 38-year-old Jeffery Wilkinson from Washburn Island and 49-year-old David Tyrell from Thurstonia, Ontario (in the City of Kawartha Lakes) - left a Washburn Island address shortly before 10:45 p.m. that evening, traveling westbound on Lake Scugog in a Mastercraft fishing boat.

Minutes later, according to police and witnesses, emergency services were advised of a boat crash that had taken place approximately 200 metres east of the north end of Scugog Island, involving the two men and another craft.

According to DRPS spokesperson Dave Selby, the occupants of the other vessel - which may have numbered as many as six - made it to shore for assistance where they were assessed and released by paramedics. The operator of the larger boat pulled two of his young female passengers from the water after they were ejected on impact. They were treated at the scene by paramedic from Durham EMS.

The two men, however, could not be located anywhere in the large debris field left by the crash.

The Durham Police Marine Unit, with assistance from Air1 and local fire services was deployed to help in the search within minutes. On Sunday (July 3) just before 9 p.m., police recovered the body of Mr. Wilkinson 100 metres from the collision site.

On Monday (July 4), Durham police, with assistance from York police and members of the Ontario Volunteer Emergency Response Team (OVERT), continued their search for the second boater. York Marine Unit officers remained on the lake with DRPS using a barge from a local marina. Members of the City of Kawartha Lakes Fire Services, said to be friends of one of the missing, also searched shorelines and other areas near the scene.

Around 7 p.m. a resident of the Washburn Island area located the second man in the water nearly two km from the crash site.

When asked by The Standard why all of the five fire halls trained in water rescue on the lake (two in Scugog and three in CKL) were not dispatched to the scene, officials said that such a system - while it could be implemented with common radio links - is not in place. However, CKL OPP were notified and attended the home of one of the missing men.

Both vessels involved in the collision remain in the custody of the Durham Regional Police for further investigation.

According to Mr. Selby, a cause for the collision has yet to be determined, however, he added that police are treating the collision as being accidental in nature.

Constable Doug Lent of the DRPS said that while the outcome was tragic he hoped it provided closure for the families.

?Every single asset we had at our disposal was put into this operation,? said Cst. Lent. ?And that is as it should be.?

Any member of the public who may have witnessed this collision and has not already spoken to police is requested to contact Constable Robert Spring or Constable Doug Lent of the Traffic Services Branch at 1-888-579-1520, ext. 5237.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Given the description (one sided of course) and the fact that the other boat hit him, I'd say it doesn't look like its his fault. This is a newspaper article and the terminology could be wrong because of a number of reasons related either to Mr. Day or the reporter. It certainly isn't a transcript of a legal deposition.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

No one commented on the nav lights...... Mr Day had turned to the right, so the oncoming boat would have seen Mr Day's RED nav light, indicating to the oncoming boat that Mr Day had the right of way and the other boat was to "give way". Both skippers should have been reading the others nav lights and maneuvered accordingly to avoid a collision.

That is exactly what nav lights are for. If you don't know what nav lights mean, don't operate a boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.