Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So we take the boat out a couple weeks ago and put $50 in. We went on about an 2 hour cruise up the river to a restaurant and back. Following weekend we go back out. We make the same run, then go on past the marina south about another 30 minutes to visit some friends on the Lake that way. Well, wife has to pee. OK great. We stop at a marina on the way and tie off right in front of a gas pump. I say, honey, we should throw a few bucks in there. Wife says, nope, we dont need any gas. I say it again, she says it again. I say, but I dont want to run out of gas, she says, we put $50 in last weekend and havent gone that far, its fine. I say, OK, when we run out I dont wanna hear a word. So we procede south to the lake and now I have to pee. So I take off across the lake, get up on plane, and it dies. She looks at me and says, you arent gonna pee right here in the middle of the lake are you?? I say, no I would have prefered to put gas in the boat and make it to a more private place to go. She looks at me like I have 2 heads. So I say, I didnt shut it off. She continues to look at me funny. So I procede to pull out the padel. Well, THE PADEL DOES NOT WORK ON THIS BOAT, ITS TOO BIG!!!! Thank goodness the cooler was still full and I was obviously not driving anywhere.

Luckily our friends that live on the lake came out to rescue us and I was able to pee.

45Auto

Commander
Re: Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

I always try to plan it so I run out of gas in a handy place to pee ..... :rolleyes:

$50 is maybe what, 10-12 gallons of gas at marina prices? Sounds like your wife needs to be introduced to the reality of boating fuel consumption!

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

ahhh yah, seriously top the dam tank off....like i do, i keep it more then half full at alll times so i know if i dont want to fill it today, i have at least a half tank + of gas :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

$50 is maybe what, 10-12 gallons of gas at marina prices? Sounds like your wife needs to be introduced to the reality of boating fuel consumption!

I believe she has been.;)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always try to plan it so I run out of gas in a handy place to pee ..... :rolleyes:

When she got really pissed at me for pushing the idea of getting more gas, I thought to myself, well its a summer day, lots of boating traffic, cooler is full, we have 2 cell phones and a radio and we are not far from our friends house so when(notice I did not say if) we ran out of gas we would not be stranded. So I left the dock knowing we were gonna run out. She doesnt learn easy. It takes me doing drastric stuff without arguing to get my point sometimes.

BUT I also had another thing in mind. I have been trying to get rid of that last bit of fuel for a while, so it worked out. Wife learned that when I say get gas I mean it, and I cleared out the rest of the lousy gas.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ahhh yah, seriously top the dam tank off....like i do, i keep it more then half full at alll times so i know if i dont want to fill it today, i have at least a half tank + of gas :)

I usually do, but this month we wanted to get rid of the crummy gas. I think its been lingering since we got the water in the tank, so I was deliberately running it low. I have had to replace the water seperator twice this year already. I didnt want to run out on the water, but when the wife decided she wanted to argue, I thought perfect. SO now all the water is gone. It ran a lot better on the way home. I swapped the seperator, threw a couple gallons of my buddy's lawn mower gas in there and it ran like a top. It hasnt run this good all season.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Risking getting all of womanhood mad at me, why did you even ask her????? While she is off doing her thing, ya coulda filled the tank. That and I would hope that you really didn't block off a fuel pump for a potty break, keeping anyone else from usin' it.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I was taking flying lessons, we had this saying.....There are 3 things wasted in flying... Altitude above you, runway behind you, and fuel sitting in the fuel truck on the ground.

Basically what this meant was, there is plenty of altitude available, don't fly too low. Don't try to take-off by pulling out half-way down the runway, go to the far end so you know that you have enough runway length. And finally, if you are in doubt about how much fuel you have, then fill it up. The gas sitting in the fuel truck is doing no one any good. :)

This is also why I like my red portable fuel tanks. I can see exactly how much gas I have left.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

She doesnt learn easy. It takes me doing drastric stuff without arguing to get my point sometimes.

I know how that is... Had a girlfriend who didn't want to listen to anyone ever. She always begged me to take her out on the Sunfish at the lake, and as I love sailing that around, I usually did. It got old when I'd warn her that I was about to tack, and then have to tell her to switch sides after finishing the turn for counterweight.
After a few hours of that, I didnt say a word past 'Watch your head, gonna tack'.
I spun the boat around, pulled the sail in a little tighter, and PRAYED that I'd get a good gust of wind.

Prayer answered. With her on the low side of the boat already, it didnt take much breeze to set that mast almost horizontal to the water, and send her for an unexpected swim. Her eyes were HUGE as she went over backward into the lake. Still makes me laugh.

Did the trick though, didnt have any problems the rest of the summer.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I know how that is... Had a girlfriend who didn't want to listen to anyone ever. She always begged me to take her out on the Sunfish at the lake, and as I love sailing that around, I usually did. It got old when I'd warn her that I was about to tack, and then have to tell her to switch sides after finishing the turn for counterweight.
After a few hours of that, I didnt say a word past 'Watch your head, gonna tack'.
I spun the boat around, pulled the sail in a little tighter, and PRAYED that I'd get a good gust of wind.

Prayer answered. With her on the low side of the boat already, it didnt take much breeze to set that mast almost horizontal to the water, and send her for an unexpected swim. Her eyes were HUGE as she went over backward into the lake. Still makes me laugh.

Did the trick though, didnt have any problems the rest of the summer.

Was that because she broke up with you? LOL.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Risking getting all of womanhood mad at me, why did you even ask her????? While she is off doing her thing, ya coulda filled the tank. That and I would hope that you really didn't block off a fuel pump for a potty break, keeping anyone else from usin' it.

She had the money in her purse, and was already walking toward the main building where you pay for the gas. I didnt expect any resistance, so had no idea that it was gonna cause an argument. So in turn, asked her to go pay for $50 worth of gas while she was in there. OOPS. Big Mistake.

emoney

Commander

Perfect example as to why I like to not involve the wife in ANY boating decisions, outside of what type food/refreshments to bring. That way, there's no argument.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

I would hope that you really didn't block off a fuel pump

this is why my tank is always 1/2 full same with my truck never go below a 1/4 tank. my dad likes to run his truck till teh lil red light comes on well... maybe he should have learned on the first fuel pump, or second, now hes on his 3rd in 11 years and i am guessing 1 more in another 2-3. my mom only ever puts 20-30 dollars in when she goes toa gas station thus her tank is never ever full. i always yell at her, "mom you have more money then me top your tank off it wont kill you!!"

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are 4 pumps on the dock, and they dont get used much at that time of day. My intent was to put gas in it, the pee break was secondary. Until the argument. It is a houseboat rental place and do not sell much gas to the public at all.

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Was that because she broke up with you? LOL.

HA, I wish it had ended there... would have saved me a lot of grief OFF the water as well.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

When I was taking flying lessons, we had this saying.....There are 3 things wasted in flying... Altitude above you, runway behind you, and fuel sitting in the fuel truck on the ground.

Basically what this meant was, there is plenty of altitude available, don't fly too low. Don't try to take-off by pulling out half-way down the runway, go to the far end so you know that you have enough runway length. And finally, if you are in doubt about how much fuel you have, then fill it up. The gas sitting in the fuel truck is doing no one any good. :)

This is also why I like my red portable fuel tanks. I can see exactly how much gas I have left.

My rule of thumb when I was flying was that if I was worried about gas, I didn't have enough. I could always stagger into the air overloaded but gliding never worked out all that well for me.

I tend to keep all of my vehicles topped off. You never know when you will forget your wallet or all the stations will be closed or even out of gas themselves. (I live on an island.)

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

I have to be honest with you, besides the fact that I truly love my wife I would have given her the paddle/oar and cracked a beer!

rwilliek

Seaman

This is why I carry an extra 2.5 gallons of mixed fuel with me, in a separate gas can. While the boat isn't new to me, I always have a back up in case the gauge is wrong, or I misjudge our usage rate.

reddogg

Petty Officer 1st Class

The admiral gets to say where we go, what we take, etc.. but she has no say in the operation, care or feeding of the boat. If she did, we'd be hosed on a regular basis, did I mention she's a "classic" blonde:)

red

Fed up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I sorta did the same thing with my wife, we were on the way to the lake for some fishing and i started to pull into the filling station. She asked why are we stopping, I said to fill up. Why, Because I dont want to run out, but you just filled up earlier in the week. Argument settled.

Ran out of fuel mid trip. After about twenty minutes of scratching my head, I broke down and told her that the boat had dual tanks, and the second one was full.

Now she asks when we are headed out if I need to stop for fuel.