Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

I sorta did the same thing with my wife, we were on the way to the lake for some fishing and i started to pull into the filling station. She asked why are we stopping, I said to fill up. Why, Because I dont want to run out, but you just filled up earlier in the week. Argument settled.

Ran out of fuel mid trip. After about twenty minutes of scratching my head, I broke down and told her that the boat had dual tanks, and the second one was full.

Now she asks when we are headed out if I need to stop for fuel.

And I am hoping this causes my wife to do the same. In fact, so far so good. We filled it up the next time we went out, and then we put $75 in the last time, only because the pump shut off. Wife insisted we get gas both times. LOL.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Nope, we dont need any gas----But Honey we are sitting in front of the pump---

I have to be honest with you, besides the fact that I truly love my wife I would have given her the paddle/oar and cracked a beer!

After a short stint with the paddle I put it down and cracked a beer, for sure. She looked at me and asked what I was doing, and I just chuckled. She picked up the cell phone and got us a tow. Of course with the wind and current we were only about 50 feet off our friends dock by then anyway.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Incidently, I fill my Jeep up every time I drive it. Of course I only drive it a couple times a month. My work car gets like 18mpg and has a 12 gallon tank, so I have to fill up daily. Wife handles her vehicle herself, but I have gotten in to drive it and had to limp to the station. Unfortunately her vehicle is the tow vehicle. I need to remedy that situation.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I sorta did the same thing with my wife, we were on the way to the lake for some fishing and i started to pull into the filling station. She asked why are we stopping, I said to fill up. Why, Because I dont want to run out, but you just filled up earlier in the week. Argument settled.

Ran out of fuel mid trip. After about twenty minutes of scratching my head, I broke down and told her that the boat had dual tanks, and the second one was full.

Now she asks when we are headed out if I need to stop for fuel.

Ha, good method to teach her a little lesson there.

As long as I'm driving the boat, my wife never even thinks to ask about..fuel, where we're going, where we are, how to get back, was the oil checked, how's the temp, can you see color ahead, do we have enough life jackets on board, etc. etc....enough said. You can get fined on Lake Mead for running out of fuel, besides the fact that it's always better safe..

Bunk47

Cadet

What, no gas gauge? Even my little alumiinum fish boat with 6 gallon tank has a gauge . Altho it may not be accurate it still gives you an idea you're running low. :)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What, no gas gauge? Even my little alumiinum fish boat with 6 gallon tank has a gauge . Altho it may not be accurate it still gives you an idea you're running low. :)

I am thinking you should read through this. I knew it was out of gas when the wife started arguing at the gas pump.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never ask your wife any questions about maintenence of the boat and money. I do not care if it is gas, new part, oil, or something simple like buy a new bottle of boat soap.

Other then our annual cruise, my wife never sees a drop of gas go in the boat. I do record all of it in the log book, but she has never asked to see it. I think we both prefer it that way. She gets to enjoy the boat with out the worry of what we are spending on gas, and I get to do the same. When we first bought the boat she did ask, how much gas did it burn. The seller (a friend) said it averages about 15gph. What he did not tell her was that was Gallons used/by hours the engines were run, including docking, warming up, no wake etc. She still has not been told, at cruise it is more like 30gph.

I also agree that at 1/2 tank you should be looking to add more gas to the tank, much safer that way.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I love how everyone just says dont ask, or dont tell her. She shouldn't have anything to do with it, etc etc. Well, unfortunately, I have an equal relationship with my wife. She knows all that I spend and I know all that she spends. Typically, especially on large items, we make decisions together. Sometimes she thinks she knows better and needs to be nudged, and that is what needed to happen. We had many discussions about how much fuel I was putting in the boat, and this is one thing she had an issue with. So by letting it run out, she now understands that when I say we need gas that we really do.

For all of you that say what the wife says doesnt matter must have a VERY differant relationship than anybody I know, and might need to look at your own relationships instead of telling me to not tell my wife when I spend OUR money on something. We have been together almost 20 years now, and neither one of us have been divorced previously. If I start hiding stuff from her, I am sure that will change.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We have a marina that sells fuel but last time I checked they sold it 5 gallon cans at a time. I did the math and they charged almost 3 times the rate off the lake was. That was last year and have not even checked to see what they are selling it for now. Would hate to see.
My wife encourages me to fill up every time we head home from the lake, that way we do not have to worry about it when heading out. My wife wants to know what goes on with the boat and other things that we do together. She is interested in my hobbies and I act interested in hers. Works out well for us. Guess it comes down to knowing your other half. You seem to have found a funny light humored way to make your point to your wife MNY.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We have a marina that sells fuel but last time I checked they sold it 5 gallon cans at a time. I did the math and they charged almost 3 times the rate off the lake was. That was last year and have not even checked to see what they are selling it for now. Would hate to see.
My wife encourages me to fill up every time we head home from the lake, that way we do not have to worry about it when heading out. My wife wants to know what goes on with the boat and other things that we do together. She is interested in my hobbies and I act interested in hers. Works out well for us. Guess it comes down to knowing your other half. You seem to have found a funny light humored way to make your point to your wife MNY.

We actually have mostly the same interests/hobbies. So in turn, she knows everything about them. There are few things that I do just because she wants to, and vice versa. Just like our Jeep, she helps me spend the money on that, same as the boat. I do not like to argue with her, so I simply shut my mouth and made my point without any shouting. It has worked for me for a long time. It doesnt do any good to yell at eachother, then nothing ever gets done. So, like you said, I found a funny light humored way to mak my point. There was no way anybody would get hurt, we were on a small river, and a small lake close to shore the whole time, in a primarily no wake area, so no safety issues. We were close to our friends house that have a boat right on the water so we had a way to get back. We have all the proper safety gear in the boat, 2 full coolers with food, water, beer and snacks. I had been down the fuel road so many times with her, I figured this was the only way to get around it without yelling at eachother. So that is what I did.

cwcollins06

Seaman

I love how everyone just says dont ask, or dont tell her. She shouldn't have anything to do with it, etc etc. Well, unfortunately, I have an equal relationship with my wife. She knows all that I spend and I know all that she spends. Typically, especially on large items, we make decisions together. Sometimes she thinks she knows better and needs to be nudged, and that is what needed to happen. We had many discussions about how much fuel I was putting in the boat, and this is one thing she had an issue with. So by letting it run out, she now understands that when I say we need gas that we really do.

For all of you that say what the wife says doesnt matter must have a VERY differant relationship than anybody I know, and might need to look at your own relationships instead of telling me to not tell my wife when I spend OUR money on something. We have been together almost 20 years now, and neither one of us have been divorced previously. If I start hiding stuff from her, I am sure that will change.

I'm with you MNYPIT, Happy wife = Happy life ;) My wife has input on every decision we make that costs money, boat related or otherwise. Means I never have to explain myself after the fact. I take a lot of grief for it from friends when I say "Hey, do you mind if I buy lunch at work today?" but it means the world to her which makes it important to me. Plus, as long as I don't forget to run stuff by her and she runs stuff by me, we basically never argue about money. Totally worth it.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

My exwife and I had the same kind of deal. But we talked about the big money items and just tell aech other about the small things after the fact but it worked for us. The only thing that didn't work was she was very bad with money and never keep the check book updated. So we argued about that. The thing was that her small thing would add up fast and she would spend money that was meet for bills. Than she would rob from Petter to pay Paul. Made my credit so bad I wasn't able to get any type of loan. So money got short and she left me.

But the new love in my and I have the same deal. It's working out great. But then she is great at keeping the check book up to date & paying the bills on time.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My exwife and I had the same kind of deal. But we talked about the big money items and just tell aech other about the small things after the fact but it worked for us. The only thing that didn't work was she was very bad with money and never keep the check book updated. So we argued about that. The thing was that her small thing would add up fast and she would spend money that was meet for bills. Than she would rob from Petter to pay Paul. Made my credit so bad I wasn't able to get any type of loan. So money got short and she left me.

But the new love in my and I have the same deal. It's working out great. But then she is great at keeping the check book up to date & paying the bills on time.

We keep pretty good tabs on our checkbook. We really do not spend any money at all without consulting the other one. Lunch or beer and groceries are about the only thing we do not first talk to eachother about. I do not cook, so I leave the groceries completely up to her, and that benefits me well. We have a beautiful home, lots of great toys, a pool with a 12ft long wet bar, sheltered from the rain. Trust me, in the end, we may argue a bit about buying stuff before we actually buy it, but I get what I want eventually. Sometimes it just takes come creativity. The best part is that since we took on this way of mutual agreement on spending, we now have a nice savings in case something happens or we decide to finally buy a bigger boat. so WIN WIN. I dont see the downside, and then I get a bit of comic releif on occasion when she puts her foot down and I turn out to be right. LOL

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya we steal have the small arguments about buying the big stuff like you said. But Like you we are very happy and are doing fine. I had two boats that got stolen before I meet her, that is another story. But since we have been together I have bought two replacements and we talked about it before I bought them. She help me look for them and deside on what to get. She loves go fishing & boating with me. Talking about spending money on every thing sure makes thing easy on the relatioship.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I understand this part... but things would have happened a little different for me and my wife after that.

When the boat ran out of gas I would have gone to the bow or stern and whipped it out and released my liquid byproduct. Then I'd have handed her the paddle while I sat back and called the friends on the cell phone to come rescue us... but that's just the kind of bloody rotter I am.:D;)

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, we bought a new(to us) boat with a proper functioning gas guage. LOL. The Tahoe never read quite right. So yesterday we were out and about on the water, and she is watching that thing like a hawk. She keeps begging me to go get gas. We used it all weekend and did some kneeboarding, tubing, skiing, and some pleasure boating, just playing with the throttle and trim etc. Well on the way home we were pretty low on gas. But I could rock the boat and see it moving up and down, and on idle zones it showed over 1/4 tank, so I am not paying $6 a gallon in the area we were in. Man I thought she was gonna have a stroke. We made it back without issue, and still have a 1/4 tank to spare. I know its not exactly accurate, but I was certain it would get us home, and I thought it was funny letting her sweat a bit. LOL.

Oh and I told the wife I was buying another boat. In fact she was an intergal part of the decision making.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Just to add to the conversation I have been w/ my wife since high school over 30 yrs, and to this day he can be wrong and or accuse me of being wrong and I was'nt and she still has not once appoligized or said I'm sorry maybe it's because of the fact she is Romanian I don't know but I do know one thing and that is we own no dictionaries and or encyclopedias because she knows everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So fact being if that instance ever happened to me she would find a way for it to be my fault before the day was over. But I still love her maybe because she is so stubborn.