Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

cgibbo308

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

was on Sydney Harbour for new year. Launched at 3am cos i was told how busy it would get. Saw a blue wobble roller on the ramp but left it there and later i found a bloody great big bucket floating along. returning at 1am some one had put the wobble roller on my winch post :) so i now have a spare.

lost my sanity around about the same time i bought the boat come to think of it.
lost a hat, a few lures.
lost my lunch once (fell overboard)
lost a cold weather coat and a bosh cordless screwdriver (while on the trailer, while chaimed to a power poll)

windshield_time

Seaman Apprentice

I lost the boat, same way as others, didn't have enough rope, jumped off 2 quickly. Went swimming that day, my son laughed and laughed, A few weeks later he did it too, payback is great !

Like others hats, smokes.

Unlike others, 20 pounds, paddling the boat back to dock. Bit of advice, buy the right spark plugs for your boat, I now carry extras.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

OK, my GF found an E-SeaRider (bean bag chair) on the bottom today. It was all they could do to get it on the boat. It's becoming more manageable now that the water is draining. It looks in near new condition too!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What have I lost? Sun glasses, drinking glasses, at least 4 fillet knives, the crab cooking pot,(name was mud),couple of hats,just about lost the wife when she was netting a salmon. Managed to grab her by the slack of the jeans and haul her back in,she never let go of the net either. Lots of jigging tackle,a few downrigger balls,tow rope to the inflateable dingy broke once, had to go 1/2 mile back to get it. Found, not much, a few bumpers,net floats, pulled up a 300 yard piece of commercial long line with the anchor, thats about it.

Last edited:

halfmoa

Ensign

I've lost the usual glasses, beers, cell phones, a rod and reel but the only one that truly sticks in my mind is my friend that went overboard when a boat was circling too closely. The prop promptly chopped his leg to shreds. He died enroute to the hospital and was revived. He still goes out with us though. One day we saw the boat that ran him over (new owners) and I thought he was gonna throw up.

He's got gnarly scars from the prop. Depending on who's asking the scars are either from a boat propeller or a shark attack...:D

gibletts

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a really nice little 2.3hp Johnson kicker, usually it lives in the salt water but I was away last week at Lake Taupo and thought it to be a good idea to give it a run in the fresh water, well it sure did get a good clean when it jumped off its mount into a 100m of water never to be seen again.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Was fishing the grassy edges of St. George Island a few years back and noticed a large object several feet below the surface. Found it to be an abandoned crab trap totally encrusted with oysters...three five-gallon buckets were hogged before we could lighten it enough to haul it aboard. The best part...I had a shucking knife! I love this place!

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I was perched on the gunwale, holding my Boat Master with a livey on the hook in 60'. The marker bouy floating about 15' away suddenly began moving. "Mark, I think we're dragging anchor", I said. Then I noticed the faint swirls of a small wake forming behind the boat...we're moving... and picking up speed. "Mark, we're not drifting...we're being pulled!", I said.

Long story, short...after three men took turns hauling on the anchor, we were stunned to find a Manta ray with about a 20-foot span with the anchor lodged in its mouth!

Totally true!

bgc

Ensign

Found, fishing lures and random tackle.
Lost my favorite anchor, forgot to raise it, turned hard to port an cut it free with the prop……

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Found: 1 piece of tarp wrapped around my prop. I had just backed off from being beached and engine started lugging down. Took about 15 minutes to cut all that crap off my outdrive.

Lost: 1 hat (went back and got it)
4 fishing pole and a tackle box (off my pontoon, while parked beside my house in the yard. Really chapped my ... Well, you know.)

Also have lost my wife's sense of humor on several occasions. She does not like turning fast in the boat. LOL

danr2013

Seaman Apprentice

Not me but my uncle Wally. Since my childhood in the fifties and sixties dad and I would go fishing, alot...and uncle Wally often came with. Over the years uncle Wally threw in the anchor without securing the anchor line. Not once but twice. Uncle Wally launched the boat at the landing and simply forgot about the rope and had to swim to get the boat back. Uncle Wally, after putting another fish on the stringer threw it back in the water without reattaching it to the boat, he also threw away a bait bucket the same way. Uncle Wally was a bull in a china shop. he has lost oars, hats, cigarette packs, lighters, fishing rods, tackle boxes, life jackets, full cans of drinks, coolers and himself all ending up in the lake. He was quite a character. He's been gone a long time now and I still miss him and every time we have any kind of a mishap at the lake we say we had a "wally".

dwco5051

Commander

Not me but my uncle Wally. Since my childhood in the fifties and sixties dad and I would go fishing, alot...and uncle Wally often came with. Over the years uncle Wally threw in the anchor without securing the anchor line. Not once but twice. Uncle Wally launched the boat at the landing and simply forgot about the rope and had to swim to get the boat back. Uncle Wally, after putting another fish on the stringer threw it back in the water without reattaching it to the boat, he also threw away a bait bucket the same way. Uncle Wally was a bull in a china shop. he has lost oars, hats, cigarette packs, lighters, fishing rods, tackle boxes, life jackets, full cans of drinks, coolers and himself all ending up in the lake. He was quite a character. He's been gone a long time now and I still miss him and every time we have any kind of a mishap at the lake we say we had a "wally".

I had a friend like Uncle Wally. Myself and everyone of by fishing buddies that ever took him along were subject to either a Wally moment from him or some mishap to their boat. Perfectly sound craft would decide to not start again three miles from the launch, sunset would come and lights that never even flickered in years would not come on.

We nicknamed him "Jonah" and the name stuck with him for years.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lost a hat or two. Others, glasses. Found a ski a few times (never a pair) and some ski vest.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

added my first item for the year, nothing special though just sunglasses.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I went riding around in the boat Sunday and lost my will to do my spring yardwork

Captain Shikaboo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went riding around in the boat Sunday and lost my will to do my spring yardwork

Nice! I lost mine too.

I had an air horn get stuck in the on position really late at night, so I quickly threw it in the water. It made the funniest sound. I almost fell in I was laughing so hard. We scooped it up with a fish net and everytime I need a good laugh I hit the button.

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Whent out last night. Found a anchor & 20' fo rope. It still had a cleat tied to it.

DarrinT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Snorkleing in Lochlin Lake in Haliburton ON found a boom box - volume on full ,play button pressed and the tape in it was The Cars " Candy-O"

Rockin the boat a little too much were we lads?

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snorkleing in Lochlin Lake in Haliburton ON found a boom box - volume on full ,play button pressed and the tape in it was The Cars " Candy-O"

Rockin the boat a little too much were we lads?

ahhh the good ole days of punk rock . reminded me of 'take me to the river' talkin heads

cj7ole

Seaman

I just bought my first FL boat, a 19' Cobia CC. Got all the papers including the TITLE on a Friday afternoon, so I couldn't get to the tax collector until Monday to transfer the title. So I put all of the papers in a one gallon zipock and tucked it into the carry on bag. Couldn't wait til Monday to go for a ride. So the wife and I are out on Palma Sola bay near Bradenton Saturday. Getting a little cool so I reach in the bag and pull out my pullover. OK, lets see what she will do. So I point it toward home, into a 15 mph wind. 37 mph GPS speed, ok, not bad. Next day I ask the wife, "where is the title?" Its in the bag isn't it? Nope, it blew out some place in the middle of Palma Sola Bay. Monday afternoon I get a call from the marina I bought it from. Someone found the bag and dried out all the papers in their microwave, and turned them in. Amazing, there are a lot of good people out there. Didn't leave his name, so if you are reading this, thank you so much.