Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

How about losing a 30 foot commercial fishing boat?..lol

My "friend" borrowed my 12ft aluminium boat one day without asking and hit a log losing our new 8hp johnson over the back in about 30ft of water. He gave me a description of where they lost it and I mentioned it to the owner of the crab boat I was working on at the time. He seemed to think he could retrieve the motor with a string of grappling hooks he had and wanted to give it a shot.

Well, we went out his 30ft boat and proceeded to start dragging the area where my friend lost the outboard. Turns out the log that he hit was wedged into the sand on one end and just breaking the surface on the other when he hit it. When we were out there a few hours later the tide had come in and the log was now about 2 feet underwater and not visible.

To make a long story short, the 30 footer struck the log and gouged a 2 foot slash in the hull. We started taking on water and made a mad dash for the dry dock. The boat was literally sinking deeper as we drove. The pumps were all running but could not keep up with the leak.

We made it to the dry dock and the boat was safe for the moment. However the dry dock was a fixed depth and as the tide continued in the boat was swamped despite our efforts to pump it out.

Sometimes things lost overboard are best left overboard;)

Summer Fun

Banned

Lost:3 brand new Fuji cameras in one summer total $900 bucks. :facepalm:

Found:1 sh#tty mens underwear on my anchor when I pulled it up :eek:

Somebody had a beer fart go terribly wrong. :eek:

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Lost:3 brand new Fuji cameras in one summer total $900 bucks. :facepalm:

Found:1 sh#tty mens underwear on my anchor when I pulled it up :eek:

Somebody had a beer fart go terribly wrong. :eek:
That's SO nasty... But what a terrific attitude you have about it!!!;)

You never cease to amaze me, Summer Fun!!!:D

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

founders list:

1. 5 foot aluminum ladder
2. 12 foot fiberglass boat port half[ guess they lost the starboard side]
3. tires from 10 inches to 4 foot some have rims sone dont
4. 100-1000's of lures
5. 20 foot heavy duty chain [not sure why you may need this in the river?]
6. $100+ dollars of beer cans maybe 20% full still
7. rock [ not really a find but i collect them from 2-3 inches to 50+ pounders]
8. air horn still workd
9. $60 dollar anchor 2 feet below the water some people are scared to get wet when anchor ties to a tree?
10. dead animals [white tail deer, racoons, and other small animals tied up in trees
11. 3-4 poles with reels still work to this day just put new line on it
12. heavy duty wire 4-6 inches around cought anchor i was scared to touch it not knowing if it was like 400volts or what i used a paddle to get it off
13. speaking of paddles 3-4 paddles wooden and aluminum
14. 2 yellow labs took them home[ then returnd to owner 4 days later they ran 5 miles away to get to the water owners were happy i found them]
15. 20 foot tree some how i raised this sucker 30 feet with 12 lbs test while fishing? i let it go not sure when tree season is dont want dnr on me
16. a car fender dont know what it fit but i scrapd it
17. an old aluminum canoe it wouldnt hold water, just enough to get it back to camp

i find stuff and then find a use for it
i am sure the list goes on still! this was mostly by myself in a tube floating or diving off my boat to get it, this year i am going to bring my cousin along and we will scuba in lake michigan hopefully finding more valuables

edit:
forgot to mention i have lost a dog overboard a few times my moms dashhound loves fishing when your reeling in the fish she jumps off the boat to catch it then shes stuck in the water till i grab her but she will go after my bobber some times and it does became a bit of a problem as long as i can get it back to me she will come back LOL

1 more item for my list
18. aluminum level still works was a tad muddy most likely i will scrap it since i have a few at home that are in better condition.

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Lost:

Sunglasses, Zippo

Found: (actually caught while fishing)

Chainsaw
Minibike
Battery Charger
Dead Loon
Bat (of the flying variety mid-cast, hooked him in the wing....little poop started flying away taking out all my line, an arial retrieval is not fun)

D

DJ

As a SCUBA diver, I've found a lot of stuff.

When I was younger, we used find all kinds of lures and downrigger rigs in Traverse Bay Michigan. We used to trade them for free air at a local dive/sporting goods shop.

I've also had people offer me money, at boat ramps, to recover the "key toss" results mentioned above. I don't accept the money.

I've found: keys, wallets, sunglasses, firearms, anchors, lures, outboards, bicycle, WWII sonar testing torpedoes, boats, outdrives, cars. The list goes on.

WindLass

Recruit

Lost: cell phone and 2 hand held radios much to my Captain's chagrin all through the same possessed evil fairlead on the starboard bow. Always the same bumble - catch - fumble - bounce - slow motion dive - fingertips graze the object, momentary joy and the hope dashing sploosh! All accompanied with the prolonged Nooooooooo.

Found: 20 bucks, cool hat, bottle of sunscreen, full can of beer.

Lost: 2 boat hooks
Found: bruised butt bone while running and slipping on deck trying to retrieve said boat hooks. The beer was better.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

"As a SCUBA diver, I've found a lot of stuff. I've also had people offer me money, at boat ramps, to recover the "key toss" results mentioned above. I don't accept the money."

DJ, at times in my workboat career, I was one of those guys at the dock looking to slide a diver a quick $75 to go down and cut the line out of wheels.

A diver saved the day more than once...nice to have you around and willing to help. 5 minutes of work saves a 12 hour day, sweet.;)

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Redneck Wakeboard Pylon

Redneck Wakeboard Pylon

I built a wakeboard pylon out of galvanized steel pipe, a pipe flange, some eye hooks, some aircraft cable and ratchet straps -- all for about $45.

When I went to pull tubby out of the water the aircraft cables slid through the crimp clamps and splash... the pylon sits at the bottom of Lake Miola. And no, the rope didn't stay attached to the pole. :facepalm:

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Redneck Wakeboard Pylon

Trendsetter, I just make a thread relating to the whole 'taking on water' issue in the general boating section. I have an old steel hull boat that can go from dry to geyser depending on which rust flake you chip up. My screenname is one of my biggest concerns on the water!

rwilliek

Seaman

Last summer we took a weeks vacation at a state campground - Green River State Park. We did a lot of touring around the lake, as it was our first summer with a boat, and our first time at that lake.

We swam in a nice little cove, did a little fishing, and then decided to eat lunch. We got out of the boat, and as we usually did, hung our wet life jackets on the hood of the outboard.

After lunch we decided to check out a different part of the lake. We got everyone situated (the kids), and took off. We finally arrived at another small cove that wasn't occupied and went to swim.....we generally wear our life jackets swimming (the kids don't take theirs off).

The jackets were no where to be found. We decided we better head for dry land before getting caught by the Corps of Engineers or water patrol.

We headed into town to procure two new life jackets....no one in town had them in stock....except the marina and a nearby gas station/bait/boat rental place.......I figured we would have to over-pay for the jackets.

Sporting our new life jackets, we went out the next day with hopes of finding the old jackets, but didn't find them....I'm sure someone else picked them up.

Oh well - we wanted new neoprene type jackets anyway, we just couldn't justify the price......they were all we could find locally, and we had to have them to be legal.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

Well what can I say... on the way to the boat yard for my winter lay up, facing a steady 25-30 southwest blow right in the face , I caught a gust and off went the new winter Jeff cap and don't ask me how but the polarized glasses went too.

I think I may have gremlins on the boat or something:facepalm:

2 Eagles

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found some fishing grear and two anchors this summer. Didn't give anything these summer. We'll see about these fall.

Viking62

Seaman Apprentice

Donated 2 hats and a good pair of sunglasses this year

Jbird5363

Cadet

Ok I use to work at a summer camp in livingston tx when I was a teen. I was teaching a batch of youngster how to fish and why the camp thought a bail cast set up was better than zebcos for kids I'll never know. At the end of the the class I asked everyone to real in and set there poles on the ground ( hard lesson learned the day before took a hook to the nipple ) well low and behold a girl only heard set them on the ground. I get about three feet from the pole and wiggle wiggle off she goes. Two days later with the same class same girl snags a good size cat fish completly tangled up in fishing line. low and behold start pulling line in and here comes my favorite yellow rod.

NewfieDan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Almost lost a couple of good friends once. My BIL borrowed my canoe to tow behind another friend's bass boat. As they were heading out they realized that a decent tow speed would take a long tiime to get to the fishing hole. So the throttle on the bass boat came up, the bow of the canoe also came up, which of course it didn't like. The canoe tried a couple of head shakes to rid itself of the tow line and then thought scr$% this and capsized. Tossed my buddy Tim and Dale into the lake with all their fishing gear. They boat lost their rods and reels, and of course the beer. The only thing left floating was Tim, Dale and the tackle boxes.

A couple of months ago we were out at the beginning of the season. Dear wife who is not used to baots but wearing her favorite hat decided to stand up and look over the top of the windshield to see the whales in the bay. As she stood up the wind took the hat off her head. Luckily it floated for a bit and we were able to save the hat.

cribber

Lieutenant

We've lost towels, hats, sunglasses, sandals, a watch, and few other things that got blown out of the boat. The watch happened when the clasp broke as I was retrieving a fish in 30 feet of brackish water. Things I've found are a cypress knee that cost me a darn good prop, a log that stalled my engine while idling, a school of catfish that became chum. Still waiting to collect a gator that didn't submerge deep enough.

Twisted1

Cadet

Boat keys on floaty, check
Truck keys on floaty, sink. 50' of water 40 miles from home........But smart enough to make sure cell phone is tucked away.

I now keep both sets on floaty's

*mtrbtr*

Cadet

I set a brand new tournament slalom ski on the swim deck of my Ski boat. Backed in the water and took off. Didnt realize I had lost it for about half an hour. I was pretty sure I knew where it had slid off once I realized what had happened. My best guess was that I had lost it just after I left the no wake zone and put the hammer down. I followed the way the breeze was blowing and sure enough I found it against the rocks over on the shore line not too far away. Sure felt a lot better once I had found it but had a really sick feeling in my stomach once I realized it was gone.

*mtrbtr*

Cadet

DOH , I have lost 5 Oakey sunglasses ($180.00 each) one every year from jumping into the water, or being thrown off the tube, I always go back and buy another pair, and I even buy a strap which I don't put on, and later misplace.
Lets see what happens this summer.:facepalm:

Thats why I only by the ones from the gas station now :)