Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lost and found overboard...are you a giver or a receiver?

I have also lost my temper, my composure, my worries, my bad mood, and my bearings; and found self-confidence, relaxation, the joys of raising children, spectacular sunsets and how much fun I can have with my wife fishing.
Good one.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I did it again:facepalm:... today I dropped my MP3 player out of my front pocket and into the water. The earphones were in my ears at the time so I didn't loose the mp3 player but it doesn't matter because it got wet and now it's shot:mad:

About 2 weeks ago while I was playing around on Iboats, I backed up the songs to my computer, around 2,800 of them. I feel lucky - I guess.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lost my glasses in Lake Erie my poor wife got a quick lesson in driven the boat at dusk on a rough day, cause I am blind without my glasses. I have also lost an anchor and 60ft of rope that was tied to it, my brother threw the anchor out but forgt to see if the other end was attached. :) lost smokes, towels, and about anything else the wind can grab. I have only ever found tackle, more then a few times I had to get wet to un rap it from the drive.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

" of all the things I have Lost I miss my mind the most" Ozzy Ozborne

snakeriverfisher

Seaman Apprentice

all my keys that were in my shirt pocket,my son droped a brand new fishing rod and reel in the lake,still had that new fishing pole smell.I dove in the water to swim too the dock to get the trailer and opened my eyes under water and lost my contacts,sunk my truck while trying to push the boat off the trailer at a shallow ramp it rolled backwards while i was standing on the trailer tounge,minnow bucket tied to the side dont ever remember finding anything but other people's trash,I did get my truck back but it was never quite the same after that

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never lost anything that I remember, but I'm still youngish.

Found a fairly expensive slalom ski sitting on a deserted beach launch.

Found a wallet last year while snorkeling, no money.

When I was about 10, on a camp field trip to Wakulla Springs, I found a 1938 mercury dime sitting on top of the sand in about 6" of water.

Had a buddy send his wedding ring flying when cleaning his hands in the Wakulla river. This is a nice clear river, and he spent the next 4 hours looking for it with snorkels/mask, not to be found. They were out fishing again the next week and he decided to take a quick look around. Found it after 5 minutes.

There are a number of big, permanent, sink holes around here. A couple years ago they sent divers down in two of them to look around as a part of some research into why the Wakulla spring had gotten foggy. Among the bottles, cans and lures, they also pulled out some cars, likely stolen from 30+ years ago.

Last edited:

hjones0922

Seaman Apprentice

This doesn't beat the snowmobile, but it's still pretty neat.

Lost a fish basket, well, I say lost it, cut it loose due to a gator with a hungry look heading towards the boat, and nope, we didn't stay around to look for it afterwards either! The following summer my buddy gets hung up on what he thinks is a tree limb or something under the water, and pulls up the fish basket. Still using it to this day. There's a lost and found for you.

Same buddy about 3 weeks ago....coming back up the mighty Savannah, we here a strange noise and look back to see the transom mounted TM just fall slap off the boat. Wonder if he'll snag that one next year!

And like everyone else, I've lost my share of hats, sunglasses, just opened beer, hadn't even taken a drink out of it yet, and more lures than I can count. I primarily fish the Savannah, so not going to go down there diving to see what I can find (reference the alligator in the earlier paragraph). I would love to know what all is down there though.

-HJ

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

here's a lost and found--about 15 years ago a friend dropped a minimag light off a friend's dock New Year's Eve. The following July, the owner of the dock fished the light out. It had a few small barnacles on it, and still worked--same batteries and all. He still uses it, and left the barnacles on it.

My console cover blew off my boat in a storm, and I found it about a week later, sunk, at the other side of the pier--just happened to spot the "shadow" at low tide.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did that once. Good thing the spare keys were under the front seat of the locked car!

Also lost a 20hp Evinrude off the back of a 14' tinny. That one's a long story but thankfully I wasnt the one who put it on so I only get some of the blame. One moment everything was fine and the next the boat seemed to be nearly verticle (confirmed by the rest of my group on shore who thought it was pretty funny) and the motor hung for a moment by the gas line. It hung for what seemed like an eternity and I was in the process of considering grabbing the motor when it finally disappeared for good.

This is why in my inflatable I have a steal cable lanyard with one end attached to the motor and the other to the transom. If I flip the boat and the motor somehow comes loose, it will stay attached to the boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's SOP to tie your motor to the boat, unless it's bolted on.

Hiya Bayaya

Seaman Apprentice

DOH , I have lost 5 Oakey sunglasses ($180.00 each) one every year from jumping into the water, or being thrown off the tube, I always go back and buy another pair, and I even buy a strap which I don't put on, and later misplace.
Lets see what happens this summer.:facepalm:

puma4440

Seaman Apprentice

Found a cemetary(sort of)...

When they built the lake, a contractor was paid to move the cemetary and he didn't, he only moved the headstones. When we had a drought in 91' or 92', caskets/driftwood started appearing. I don't know what ever became of it, I know the contractor had been dead for a while. If you look where he moved the headstones, you could tell something wasn't right, the stones were all too close.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

DOH , I have lost 5 Oakey sunglasses ($180.00 each) one every year from jumping into the water, or being thrown off the tube, I always go back and buy another pair, and I even buy a strap which I don't put on, and later misplace.

Don't know if I would have told that one on myself.....:D :D

Starcraftmedic

Recruit

Hello All! First post here after replacing the keyboard from spitting my beverage all over it after the anchor line trailing noticed by the wife..... thats funny right there. sooo here goes, one flip flop (which ruined the whole pair mind you), the top half of my ugly stick, But I found that where I dropped it after I accidently threw the lobster head in the bucket and the tail in the water. oops. every pair of plyers that i owned before i bought the pair with a laynard on it, and my XO's stapler to win the game "who will" way back in the day...

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is creepy:eek:...sounds like a scene from an Indian Jones Movie.

Found a cemetary(sort of)...

When they built the lake, a contractor was paid to move the cemetary and he didn't, he only moved the headstones. When we had a drought in 91' or 92', caskets/driftwood started appearing. I don't know what ever became of it, I know the contractor had been dead for a while. If you look where he moved the headstones, you could tell something wasn't right, the stones were all too close.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why don't we save you the trouble this year? Buy it and lose it to me! ;^)

Lost a snorkel mask off the back of my boat. But then found an anchor complete with rope that same afternoon. Lost a few caps as well...but can't figure out how some caps float and some sink...:confused:

FichtFan

Seaman Apprentice

Yea dude, I don't even take my Oakley Juliets anywhere near the water for fear of losing them

hd79irnhrs

Cadet

Here's my story of losing something in the water. I was out fishing with a buddy and my dog, Spinner, who is an English Setter and a trained bird dog. Because of that, we always make sure Spinner is wearing his life jacket because he has been known to go after seagulls. We were returning from the trip and my buddy and I were involved in conversation about the size of the perch we had caught. We were in the river on the way to the marina, when I asked my buddy if he has seen Spinner. Nope. We looked in the cabin and all over the boat, but no dog. I quickly turned around to retrace my route to locate the dog, and my heart was in my throat. I was calling out to boats we were passing if they had seen a dog in the water. A catamaran I had recently passed in the channel had turned back up river and as we came side to side with it, there was my wet, but excited pooch! They were confused as to what they were seeing in the river, and went to investigate and when they saw it was a dog, pulled him aboard and turned back to try and find the owner. I was very happy to get my dog back. I think both the dog and I learned a lesson that day!

Splat

Lieutenant

Here's a lost and found for ya. i had a buddy fishing a rather large inland lake from the shore a few years ago. He had his pole sitting on the bank line in the water for hours with out a single bite. He walked over to the camper to get a fresh beer (yea you know where this is going) only to return to find his pole gone. I believe it was a few days later he's fishing a totally different area of the lake and snags something. Yup it's his pole, with the fish still attached!
That's always a good fishing story.

Bill

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

While I didnt lose it, I know where there's a car in Lake Champlain. Its been there nearly 40 years. A guy I know was playing out on the ice when he was a teen, and blew the motor. Walked back to town to get a truck and a chain, and when he got back, all he found was a hole in the ice.
Its only a couple miles from the 80' tug thats sitting on the bottom, although, thats too deep for me to dive to, I'd love to retrieve that..

From my boat, my diver down flag, a potted houseplant, a mooring hook, multiple shoes/sandals, and plastic lawn chairs.
You can tell people as many times as you want NOT to leave light weight things on deck on a windy day, but they never listen. Everything but the chairs slipped away unnoticed, but the rule is, whoever leaves a chair on the roof deck unattended has to swim after it when it goes in the drink.

Oh, I've also lost 2 dinghys. One I was a cheap plastic POS that leaked, and I was relieved to be released of the burden of it (other than creating a hazard on the water), the other was my rather expensive 10 inflatable. I had a girl on the boat one night, and as storms rolled thru at 3am, she woke up. Looked out thru the rain and just as the lightning struck, she saw what she originally assumed was 'Champy' aka, the Lake Champlain Monster. As her senses came about, she realized it looked a bit like my inflatable... 100 yards off and getting smaller...

Woke me up, I ran on deck to check and sure enough, it was..
Fired up the boat and chased after it. By the time I caught up, it was nearly a 1/4 mile from where I had been mooring.