Boat Names

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant
Re: Boat Names

My is Blu Lunch excatly what my son did years ago the first time I took him out on the ocean fishing........

Bondo

Staff member

" Sunkaze Maineiac ".............<br /><br />Being From Milford Maine, Sunkhaze Stream runs thru it.......<br /><br />Here in Northern New York, it means Absolutely Nothing........<br />But,<br />Many Fishermen, from north central Maine, come over for the Salmon,+ Lake Trout fishing........<br />I'm Sure many of Them get it.....<br /><br />The boat I'm building Now, is a 25' Old Town Atlantis....(by Old Town Canoe Co.)<br />Built in Old Town Maine........(Where Sunkhaze Stream joins the Penobscot River)<br />That'll be " True Sunkhaze Maineiac "........<br /><br />A little Lake Rocket(1967 14' Glastron Jet-Flite, 150hp Merc. tower of Power) I've got is " 006, Licence to Thrill "...........<br />Last Name is Bond....<br />SS# begins with 006.......<br />The boat is MUCH More than Extreme.....<br />The name was a Natural..............

Sam Cam13ell

Cadet

Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines I’d ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife.<br />Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is.<br /><br /> <br /> <br /><br />According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidon’s memory. <br />This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boat’s current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly. I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boat’s old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined. Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough.<br /><br />In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boat’s name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Don’t forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards. Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boat’s new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed! Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine won’t cut it. <br /><br />Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. <br /><br />Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows:<br /><br />Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.) <br /><br />In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.)<br /><br />It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease.<br /><br />Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows:<br /><br />Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm.<br /><br />In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.)<br /><br />The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. <br /><br />Begin in this manner:<br /><br />Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boat’s new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs.<br /><br />(Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath.<br /><br />(Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath.<br /><br />(Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath.<br /><br />(Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath.<br /><br />Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion.<br /><br />Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Uh oh.......all we did was pour a can of Miller Lite over the bow pulpit!

Kilroy

Recruit

Oh Mighty Poseidon and the Brotherhood of the Four Winds, hear my plea and grant a petition unto me regarding thy servant, Nauti-Notions (love that alias!!). Truly thy servant has been blessed by thee by being granted the knowledge of how to gain thy blessings, and has also made good use of this forum granted by thee to spread the word of how to properly pay homage to thee. Hear me and grant a boon unto Nauti-Notions! May they ever have fair seas and following winds, may they never launch their boat onto the ramp (rather than into the water), yea, verily, may they never forget the plug, nor the tie-down straps, and may they never rate less than a 9.8 by the score cards carried by the cursed ramp-rats (ignore that Russian judge, the b*****d!). Thy will be done! Amen... *bows head in obeisance, then takes a BIG ole tug off the bottle of champagne* Burp... 'Scuse me...

Sam Cam13ell

Cadet

Thanks Kilroy,<br />Nauti~Notions is the name of my boat, when I first bought ti it was named after the sister of the owner who'd passed away. it just did not fit me and who i am, so the quest begun and what you read above or the results<br />Thanks again for the blessings and may your box always wreak of the of the finned one<br />Sam

KaGee

Admiral

Mine is "Mama Don't Dance"<br />21ft Regal Fishing Cuddy

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by PatPatterson:<br />
Originally posted by JustMrWill:<br /> Well...still trying to finalize a name...pretty much have it down to 3<br /><br />"Lawn Ornament" (since I tow it and it sits in my yard)<br /><br />"Bad Dog" (short for "Bad Dog - No Biscuit" which is a new favorite phrase of my wife' - yes we have a dog) **maybe keep whole phrase**<br /><br />"Goonie Goo-Goo" (from Eddie Murphy - Delirious show...don't know what it means but I like the way it sounds)<br /><br />What do you guys think?
"Goonie Goo-Goo." Not one person in 10 will get it, or know where it came from.
I got it. :)

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

I won a 2003 Ranger 175VS off of a radio station. I sold the boat when the baby came and bought a Big screen TV, a generator for the hurricanes since I now have a kid and a 1999 Searay 180 bowrider with only 30 hours on the merc I/O. I use it to take the family out in and I call her...... "A HULL OF A DEAL" :D ;) :cool:

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

It seems as we get older and fortunes improve, our boats get bigger, and/or faster. <br /><br />Getting one boat, then another is sort of like jumping onto a escalator at one point in our lives. Some of us did it when we were 15, some of us at 40. <br /><br />The other day I saw, on the back of about a 60' cruiser, " My Last Boat -- #12"

MarkAB

Seaman Apprentice

The best one I've seen is a huge Bayliner named "Overdraft".<br /><br />My 10' which is a gross yellow in color is named "Yellow Sub" (never passed my submarine course)<br />Still looking for a name for the 16' but like "Honey Hole"

uscboy

Seaman

Saw on a Yamaha site someone reported seeing a <br />boat named "Propless Dancer" since they're jet <br />drive boats.<br /><br />Thought that was pretty clever.

Barnbldr

Cadet

My buddy kept ribbing me about my $250 dollar boat, so I named her "Glub Glub"<br />14' Crosby, 35hp Chry.

NYMINUTE

Captain

My second choice to SO DUH! was Final Warning. Wifey thought it had a bad attitude.<br />Not sure what that is?? Sounds fine for GeelBoom's 16'

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I'm thinking of naming mine "Hang On". <br />No, it's not a particularly fast boat, but I have to tell my three kids that each and every time I "floor it" so they don't fall down.<br /><br />
GlastronBoatTrip_0073.jpg

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My little 12 foot aluminum boat is named "The Fearless Guppy" because she's little, silver, fast, and always gets me there and back even while boating along side of much larger boats. :)