Boat Names

NoWorries

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Boat Names

Our 22' boat was bought already named Hakuna Matata II. Since we have kids, and our time a the lake is spent with "No Worries" it fit, so we left it. Wanted to name it 4 Play, but wife didn't agree. My 16' bow rider is currently called 4 Sale....since we bought the 22' to upgrade. Thinkin about calling my bass boat Playin Hooky, since that's what I'm usually doing with it...fishing instead of working or getting something else done.

zarazinzen

Cadet

As for boat names I'm now up to <br />"Fourth and Last IV".<br />Poor planning I guess.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Saw one on Ebay called "Sex Sea"<br /><br /><br />spots

KCSteve

Cadet

Think I'll name mine "Gotta Pee" Every time we get out on the lake the admiral says Gotta Pee

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Saw this one today..<br /><br />WHIPPER SNAPPER

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br /> (LOL) :D Now I'm laughing too much and I should be working...<br /><br />"Stinkin Sinker" ....I can just imagine that boat!
Prooly owned by a "Bassin Gal" :p <br />J/K<br />That is a funny name though.

KnottyBuoyz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Our boats name is KnottyBuoyz in case you haven't guessed that already. I know, I know, not totally original but.... here's the story. <br /><br />When my son (Daniel) was 2-3 he used to ride in the bike seat as I peddled around town. One day we happend to cross paths with Rev. Jack Urquart. Rev. Jack was an old time sailor on the Coast Guard boats long before I started sailing, but he was a long time family friend. Our conversation that day went something like this....<br /><br />Rick: Hi Jack!<br />Jack: Hi Fella's, what's happening today?<br />Daniel: We're out cruising for chicks!!!<br />Jack: Aren't you a couple of naughty boys!<br />Rick: Cough, arghhhh, uh huh hum, have a nice day Jack. Gotta run!<br />Jack: Behave you two naughty boys!<br /><br />Out of the mouths of babes eh?

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Named mine Flukinicehole because I love to fish for fluke and my name is Jonny(Johnny Dangerously).

Belchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Renaming mine to Reel Distraction, cause its what I am thinking about most of the time<br /><br />Belchy

Capt Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mate just named his:<br /><br />She said so<br /><br />I reckon it should be:<br /><br />She said "so?"

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

Someone give me the skinny on naming a boat. I have a Tahoe Q4 Sport. Should I name it? I do put it in salt water from time to time, moreso than fresh water I might add. I don't live on the coast but I will drive the hundred miles down to Ft. Walton or Destin to enjoy the bays and the marinas. There are some great restuaraunts and bars in Destin Marina with piers you can tie off too and enjoy. I did attempt to go out the jetties in Destin one day into the gulf but the waves were coming over the bow of the boat and I wussed out and turned around and went back into to bay. It was fun though and my adventuresome spirit is still calling me to try again. My boat is only 19 1/2 feet long so it may be too small for such a venture but I have seen folks on pontoon boats out farther than I went. Anyway, back to boat names. Do you just put a name on the back of your boat or what? Give me all the details if you will.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Wes

KnottyBuoyz

Hi Doc<br /><br />I think boat naming is based on maritime tradition going way back to the stone ages. I think it's unlucky to go to sea in an un-named ship. <br /><br />Although not a legal requirement to have a recreationial boat named (in Canada) for licensed boats (it is for federally registered vessels), everyone wants to put a little bit of themselves into their boat and an appropriate name can do just that. It displays pride of ownership and a little bit of their own character as well.<br /><br />More on the history of boat names/renaming can be found here...<br /><br /> http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/rename.htm <br /><br />You'll see all kinds of boat names on this board ranging from the obscure to hilarious to bizarre. I think most people equate their boats to events/persons in their life that seem to represent their boating lifestyle. What you have to do is think about your boat maybe in terms of the way you use it. Like you said in your message, you went out one day, it was rough, you turned around and went back in. Maybe you should call your boat "Turn'd Tail" or "Chasin' Tail" or something like that. If like you said you're adventureshome and want to try again maybe something like "Wave Tamer" or "Rip Tide Jumper", I don't know! *lol* <br /><br />You'll probably want to check USCG regulations for boat naming in that it doesn't conflict with critical radio messages such as "Mayday Mayday Mayday" or is rude or vulger, etc. <br /><br />No matter what you call your boat I'm sure you'll have fun just being out in it and messing around! Good luck.

rottenray6402

Ensign

My last boat was called the "Manitou" after the indian spirit guide. I boat a 12' aluminum boat for small ponds so we called it the "Mini-tou"

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I definately wouldn't name my boat turning tail after turning back and slipping back into friendlier intercoastal waters that day. More like wise move in that situation. Anyway, I will have to think of something, that is for sure.<br /><br />Wes

KnottyBuoyz

I think you just said it Doc!!! *Wise Move" there ya go! Your girlfriend, wife, partner or significant other might not agree. You'll get a lot of compliments on that one from the guys on this board. I like it! Cheers.

Chopper Doc

Seaman Apprentice

Well I have a wife. Dont know for how long though. She doesn't really like my boat though. I thought about naming the boat after my wife but my wife really doesn't deserve the compliment and my boat may possibly wear it as an insult in later days, who knows. My wifes name is Sharie Marie. First and middle name. Of course it is just a boat that has indeed given me trouble just as my wife has. And I do love my wife even though she doesn't love me. I like my boat too but sometimes I think my boat doesn't like me back....It's a hard choice for sure. Maybe the boat is indeed a wise move as it can only **** me off but it will never break my heart. Maybe it is indeed like a woman, you think you are making the right move but in the end you are not? Dayum dude. I will have to drink a lot before this is all sorted out. Maybe I should just name my boat 'all sorted out'? It's tough ain't it?<br /><br />I now hope I get responses to this post with good advise from wise mariners.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Wes