Saw a launch failure today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyhog

Seaman Apprentice
The stupid human trick wasn't actually the failure but the distractions that made it worse.

Guy was launching his boat for what looked like the first time today. When his turn came he blocked the inner lane and loaded everything into his boat (he didn't do it in the prep area). He forgot one key step though...the drain plug.

He backed the boat down the ramp and immediately started spraying water out the side of his boat. He started reversing the boat off and then realized his mistake. Trying to get it back on the trailer so he could quickly stuff the plug in, an old dude on the dock starts barking advice and commands to him.

His original plan was to just get it up enough to jump down and insert the plug but the guy was trying to help him load it up and get it out of the way. After about 4 failed attempts to line it up, he gets at the trailer hot and breaks one of the boards off the trailer. He starts to panic and the old guy keeps barking at him.

He eventually gets it lined up right but the boat is sitting directly on the wheel well and you can hear crunching metal and fiberglass as he throttles it onto the trailer. Old guy disappears to avoid the impending argument he knows is coming.

By then, the outer lane opened so I pulled in and loaded up me boat to leave. Guy looked desperate, not knowing what to do. I offered help but he was clearly not in the mood to accept anymore help.

Poor guy. Pretty sure he breached the hull with the wheel well.

tramsdell

Banned
Oof. I'm glad i learned all the errors that can happen back in my jonboat days.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
85% of the folks that own boats probably shouldn't, but that fact keeps me.out of the poorhouse. It's not the price of the repair, it's the cost of the damage you did...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could have been a failure like this one

SeaCrow

Cadet
Flotation saved me from having a similar experience caused by forgetting the plug..

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Why is it funny when a Cop does something stupid?

If a boater says he has never forgotten to put the plug in he hasn't been boating for long or he is an outright liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.