This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a launch failure today

The stupid human trick wasn't actually the failure but the distractions that made it worse.

Guy was launching his boat for what looked like the first time today. When his turn came he blocked the inner lane and loaded everything into his boat (he didn't do it in the prep area). He forgot one key step though...the drain plug.

He backed the boat down the ramp and immediately started spraying water out the side of his boat. He started reversing the boat off and then realized his mistake. Trying to get it back on the trailer so he could quickly stuff the plug in, an old dude on the dock starts barking advice and commands to him.

His original plan was to just get it up enough to jump down and insert the plug but the guy was trying to help him load it up and get it out of the way. After about 4 failed attempts to line it up, he gets at the trailer hot and breaks one of the boards off the trailer. He starts to panic and the old guy keeps barking at him.

He eventually gets it lined up right but the boat is sitting directly on the wheel well and you can hear crunching metal and fiberglass as he throttles it onto the trailer. Old guy disappears to avoid the impending argument he knows is coming.

By then, the outer lane opened so I pulled in and loaded up me boat to leave. Guy looked desperate, not knowing what to do. I offered help but he was clearly not in the mood to accept anymore help.

Poor guy. Pretty sure he breached the hull with the wheel well.

Ship happens
    Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
    1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ouch!
      - Eric

Somers, WI

Old enough to know better - but crazy enough to try anyway

Comment

Oof. I'm glad i learned all the errors that can happen back in my jonboat days.

Comment

85% of the folks that own boats probably shouldn't, but that fact keeps me.out of the poorhouse. It's not the price of the repair, it's the cost of the damage you did...
          '47 18' CC Utility "Knock On Wood"
          Various Evinrude powered Pontoons all named "Floosy" I've realized that 1/2 the population is above average intelligence, wish I was in it.

Comment

could have been a failure like this one
            Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
            1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
            2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
            1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

So, how many cops does it take to launch a patrol boat?

Glenn
              sigpic

08 Sun Tracker Regency, Party Barge 22
              08 Mercury 115 hp 4 stroke

Comment

Whaaaaat you mean the trailer does NOT stay with the boat??

Comment

Flotation saved me from having a similar experience caused by forgetting the plug..

Comment

Why is it funny when a Cop does something stupid?

If a boater says he has never forgotten to put the plug in he hasn't been boating for long or he is an outright liar.
                    Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Working...
                    X