Safety on The Water-Amazed that no one is hurt

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Today, we were moseying around the lake, sightseeing and a skier was being pulled behind another vessel. Skier fell, Boat proceeded on without noticing he dropped his skier. (Spotter not paying attention) We turned towards her and got a flag up until the tow boat noticed.

Later on, as we were still motoring up the shore just doing some sightseeing, we were passing a boat that was stopped. He accelerated and we were inundated with a burning rubber smell. He turned towards the boat ramp and just a cloud of smoke coming from him, now he is DIW. My MIstress took the tow and brought him to shore. The Bos'n managed to get dockside and pull the stranded boater to the pier as i cast off and got out of the way.

The girls on the disabled boat had no idea how to tie a boat up to the dock. Good thing the Bos'n knew.

Luckily it ended well for all concerned, But I am amazed at the apparent lack of knowledge/safety today, with the waterways as crowded as they were. Stood in line for 30 minutes to recover with 2 ramps open and going.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
But I am amazed at the apparent lack of knowledge/safety today

spend a holiday weekend watching the chaos at boat launches and you will quickly realize there are idiots among the masses.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Really? You really don't have to go to any lake or river to know there are some seriously weird people among us, just drive down any road. The evidence is overwhelming!

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday I saw a jet ski with 3 riders cross the bow of a Tow Boat while he was towing in a disabled boat. He had his red flashing lights going. I don't think the ski gave him more than 30 feet.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's amazing how many times you see a boat over loaded I've also seen people tie a rope to an air mattress and use it as a tube. I sometimes wish our waters were policed more.
just to keep people safe