Boat Ramp Fail- Inconsiderate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack2048

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was down on the Patuxent River in Maryland this afternoon waiting for my turn along with three other boaters, at the ramp to haul out.

This guy hauls his boat out of the water, then stops at the top of the ramp, completely blocking the ramp, gets out and walks around the boat inspecting, climbing on board, etc, while we all wait.

Really ? I guess he, what, couldn't have pulled away and done that somewhere else, so that others could use the ramp?

Here is a link to my dash cam video. Not exciting, but documents the experience.

tpenfield

Staff member
If he does that again, let us know. We'll take care of him. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Where are the resident ramp nazis?

Can’t believe they (she) would let someone get away with that.

Oh, you’re at Benedict not Solomon’s. Never mind.....lol

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
At ramps I frequent here your are required to stop with the boat at the top of the ramp and drain bilge and drive (tilt back down), live wells or whatever, due to quagga control rules. Painted right on the ramp. I get some looks when I do that, but most times if it is busy I am beside somebody doing the same thing. But I do not put away gear or put the top down or inspect tiedowns, etc. Only the steps required for draining to keep the water in the lake where it came from. There is plenty of room to pull up out of the way to finish puttin' it away for the trip home. That guy may need a bump in the right direction for next time.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class
That was under two minutes. I agree he could have been faster. I believe it is prudent to at least walk around your boat and vehicle to make sure the boat trailered correctly. It should take less than a minute IMO.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Actually what he did was good, except getting in the boat maybe. Checking while still at the ramp, if he saw the boat was off center, he could immediately redunk and try again, quicker than waiting till he was further away. It looks like a 2 or 3 lane ramp

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Agreed, a quick check around the boat is good practice, but climbing aboard...NOT!

I'm lucky to be at at the retirement stage, so I never approach any boat ramp or lake for that matter on the weekends. It's all so much more civilized during the week.
Prior to retirement, I committed to paying for a slip due to the shenanigans at the ramps.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
I like this forum better than the other one I also visit. In that one, most of the responses would be to encourage violent action. Level heads prevail here.

chevymaher

Commander
My last trip out this year. it is a 2 lane ramp. I pull in and tie the boat up to load. Walk to get my truck and trailer. I get back a guy in a Crew cab truck with a ladder rack is blocking the lane I need. He is unloading Kayaks.

I waited 20 minutes patiently. I saw he was just talking in no hurry at all. I started to back in and he got all weird what was I doing.

I am learning quickly Kayakers and fisherman think they are the only people on earth. One day a guy was fishing he cast into the center of the channel where you got to pass to leave the dock. Wait wait I will get my line. Oh don't mind me I will just drift into the rocks while you screw around LOL. NOT.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Come on, His Escalade probably paid for that ramp.

I feel guilty loading by myself sometimes, but I am still on the ramp 2-3 minutes tops. Backing in, pushing off, docking, and driving away. My keys are always in my truck if someone needs to move it.

Many longtime users actually park on the ramp, load/unload, plugs, transom savers, even beaching on the ramp to go get their truck. 10+ minutes with more than one person is common.

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
when my boat is off center I can use a rear rail to rock it on center. I can load prop the motor and be in the truck and off the ramp in the time he did the first walk around. I used to complain with the window up. the older I get the louder ive become. with the window down. pretty much at a yell these days. I have actually seen people take off a motor cover and get out tools on the ramp with a line. others block a lane while inflating a raft. others changing batteries on a ramp. my tolerance for these idiots has long past.

prlwng

Seaman
I feel bad that most of the time I am alone. I got to tie up, go get pu and trailer, then back in and load. Will untie boat, grab rope, then pull boat onto roller trailer. Will have it on trailer and up ramp before most have run onto their trailer.

same way for unloading into water. Back into water, unhook bow tie, give push, then tie to dock. Park, then go fish.

Most of the time ramp is not busy. Will leave in morn, before sunrise, back at midnight or so. That is if dont stay out all night.

Status
Not open for further replies.