Not good....

sam am I

Commander
https://nypost.com/2018/01/17/fisher...ught-on-video/

I fish a lot (troll or casting) from my boat and have never had THAT close of call but, sometimes other boats do speed by me (mainly run-abouts like this one shown in vid for some reason) so close that I get thrown around, broken ribs once even.

Short of just not looking where their going as above, I've never understand why when some folks come by you and EVEN knowing your there, why in the world they feel they have to go by so close when the lake is like 6 miles wide, anyone know?

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't say it's a regular occurrence, but I personally know of at least 3 close calls and one accident where a boat hit a 40+ ft. charter boat on anchor. All on auto-pilot....

sam am I

Commander
Yup, bet this guy had one, no mention of that though...............hmmmm. An auto pilot can certainly make the person behind the wheel quite complacent to their real task at hand of actually watching the road.

Not sure auto pilots systems are much different then cell phones in these cases? Perhaps certain auto pilots laws are needed in short order here, JMHO.......

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
Just read that story - mobility of the skipper was a factor, and possibly on his phone. The fishing boat guys did a good job of turning it into a PSA on life jackets. The whole wreck is scary, but the prop marks in the deck are really creepy. Glad no one was seriously injured.

I've had a few REALLY close scrapes with some folks not paying attention, but never a hit even close to that.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
a couple of close calls by idiots also, but wow, that is way to scary, just wow!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
A couple decades ago I helped a neighbor with his first ever boat, a 25' Bayliner center console with hard top and 150HP Mercury outboard. Gave him the basic operating instructions and took him out and showed him how it worked. He got the gist of it quickly enough.

So over the next couple of weekends we went fishing in his boat. He piloted more like the big boat in the video above. Oblivious to things going on around him, even when coached. After a couple of minor incidents, I stopped going with him.

Last I heard, he enjoyed going "Due West" at 315 degrees for 20 miles or more out into the Gulf. Yep, 315 degrees. He had a VHF radio but never bothered to learn anything about it. Said he carried 4 GPS units and a couple cell phones with him "just to be sure."

Dunno whatever happened with him. He dropped out of touch. Maybe he's still out "West" somewhere! :lol:

briangcc

Commander
Wow! Just speechless on that one.

No excuse to be going that fast and not be able to see where you are going. Seems like common sense went out the window there.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I couldn’t watch it a second time, to scary. One time in the California Delta I had an off Shore style race boat pass by me about 10’ feet from my port side doing 60+ mph. A few feet over and 4 of us would have been killed.

aspeck

Staff member
Many years ago (almost 40 to be closer to exact) I had a friend killed in a similar accident. Then a couple years after that another friends father was killed when a speed boat ran over his bass boat. I was at the ramp and attempted CPR, but there was nothing that was going to save him. It is important to WATCH where you are GOING when captaining a vessel of ANY SIZE!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Glad no one was killed. The cameras provide all the Evidence needed for the upcoming civil lawsuit and the criminal charges against the 75yr old driver. Apparently the guy is in a wheelchair and can't stand up to see out the windshield, WTF?

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A scary video, the old man needs to install a military laser warning system to detect still boats on water way ahead he runs into them. A costly speeding experience..

Maclin

Admiral
Still thinking about this story.

The guy at the back with the pole kept hold of it and worked the line around the motor before bailing. Wins a "True Fisherman" medal AND a Darwin award.

The gal earned a 10 on that exit with the half twist. And extra creds for wearing the inflatable PFD. Also gets noticed for her "loyalty" with that hand on the fisherman's shoulder for that long, making sure they got out together.

Testimonial from the guys about 2/3rd's in with the looks on their faces says it all.... PFD's PFD's PFD's.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Glad no one was killed...Apparently the guy is in a wheelchair and can't stand up to see out the windshield, WTF?

That's for sure

In a wheel chair, but still piloting a (his?) boat - good to hear a person in that condition can still enjoy boating, but is it right to jeopardize other's recreation, possibly lives? I wonder if he's had other close calls due to limited physical abilities. A good general debate, but these things often come down to individual circumstances. Just sad all around

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
His son in law was also in the boat. He to should be facing charges. He said that the driver couldn't see out the windshield and that he was often talking on the phone and not paying attention. Well if this guy was aware of these issues/actions, why didn't he be paying attention as to where the boat was going? Failing to act when he could/should have, is a Culpable Offence