android security goes awry

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
apparently android phones have a security setting that if you use a PIN to unlock your phone, and there are 10 failed attempts to access the phone, the phone resets and deletes all data, including anything on the SD card.

apparently if the log-in screen is active in your pocket and you are standing in front of a bead blast cabinet, loading and unloading outdrive parts, you may inadvertently attempt to pocket access your phone

lost everything for the past 6 months

my last phone backup was on the SD card, so I have to revert to a January PC backup.

@#$%@# android operating system

and no, I don't use the cloud, nor can I for ITAR security reasons

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Once again - Why are they called smart phones?

Sorry Scott.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its all I could do to keep from throwing it off the skyway....

southkogs

Staff member
That stinks, Scott.

I've had a love / hate relationship with smart phones ever since I got my first. I've always felt they'd make nice targets on a trap range.

It's even hard to figure out how to back everything up well against those sorts of things happening.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
thats the problem. there are apps to backup the data and things like call logs, however there is nothing to back up settings, etc. on android like there is on the sheep phones (apple)

I use rerware's MyBackupPro, however it has been a few hours restoring the pics on the SD card. I think I last checked and there were about 3000 photos in various directories.

use this as a lesson, perform a monthly backup often.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
There should be a setting to disabled that automatic wipe. After 10 failed tries on mine, I have to wait 5 minutes to try again. Next failed attempt bumps that to 15 minutes. After too many, I have to unlock it from my email account on another device.

Look at getting MyBackupPro. It's about $5, and I've used it for years to backup data and transfer to new phones. It will let you upload your backups to Dropbox, which will give you 5GB free space, iirc. I've paid for the 1TB on Dropbox for a couple years, so I can't remember the free amount anymore. Also, you can back it up to a spare SD card, just in case.

Hope this helps! Data loss really sucks...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you cant disable the setting if you use it for a work email due to microsoft exchange

as stated in post #5, I do have MyBackupPro. however since my monthly backups were on the SD card that was plugged into the phone, they got wiped. my backup on the PC (which I usually do every few months) was what I had to restore from. however that was a January backup.

as stated in post #1, I can not use cloud backup for ITAR reasons. Data loss is better than violating ITAR

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am an Android user but getting fed up with their low quality(hardware and OS) and thinking about going back to the (sheep) iPhone.

So you are not even allowed to use Google Photos for photo backup?

We have pretty strict security and export restrictions where I work(not sure its ITAR) and that wipe feature is greyed out so it would never happen.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there is currently only one ITAR qualified cloud provider and its a government agency. I dont even use drop box because the server most likely is on foreign soil. we have an encrypted FTP site for transfers, or its good-old-fashioned couriered encrypted DVD. I have a few USB drives that have a combination lock on them as well.

all my work emails have this as the footer

"ITAR WARNING: The content or attachments to this email may contain defense technical data covered by the U.S. Munitions List and International Traffic in Arms Regulations. US State Dept. authority for export of such technical data from US is required. Re-export, re-transfer, or disclosure to unauthorized parties, including non-US Persons is prohibited."

Scott Danforth

Staff member
It really is a pain in the arse. I understand why, but I dont think we charged enough for the project for the extra overhead we incurred.

briangcc

Commander
Apple has similar functionality but it takes a lot of invalid attempts over a 24 hour period in order to wipe the phone (or ipad mini). First lock you have to wait a minute, then 5, and so on up to 24 hours. Only on last failed attempt after 24 hours will it wipe. Better in a way I guess as you pretty much have to be looking to wipe a device at that point.

Won't say I was looking this up due to the wonderful policies inflicted on an ipad given by a school system for my son to use...for kindegarten! Nope, didn't say a word. Now how can I set a PIN on an ipad where the mobile restrictions block setting of said PIN...hmm........ (itunes is blocked...already thought of that!)

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
you cant disable the setting if you use it for a work email due to microsoft exchange

as stated in post #5, I do have MyBackupPro. however since my monthly backups were on the SD card that was plugged into the phone, they got wiped. my backup on the PC (which I usually do every few months) was what I had to restore from. however that was a January backup.

as stated in post #1, I can not use cloud backup for ITAR reasons. Data loss is better than violating ITAR

I missed the part about you using MyBackupPro.

The exchange thing is why I use an old phone for work, not my current one. I don't like the idea of handing over control of my device and data to anyone.