Hey Mister, what's all that stuff...

HVACRat

Seaman Apprentice
Jimmbo's story on my other thread reminded me of this one...
My second "real" boat was also a 12' Jon, by Alumacraft and she was powered by a brand spanking new 4 stroke 9.9 Nissan.
I was at the local lake heading into the mouth of the river when I saw a guy in the distance doing jumping jacks (that's what jogged the memory). Obviously in distress I headed over to see if I could help.

It was a family out in their deck boat, Mom, Dad, Son (about 10 years old) and little sister. Between Dad's broken English and my broken Spanish and the Son translating for us I gathered what had happened. The boat had an I/O drive and something had made a big puff of smoke and then everything went dead. No worries, I told them, I could tow them into the ramp.
Are you sure? I don't think your little boat can do it amigo.
No worries, I said, we just wouldn't be making it there very fast.

He actually had fenders so we deployed the fenders and I tied them up on my port side and we headed toward the ramp; at a whopping 4 MPH! I would imagine it looked pretty funny to see my little 12' boat tied to this 18 or 19 footer, but such is life sometimes.

The Dad had told me how they had been there for about an hour trying to waive down other boaters who just zoomed right on by without ever looking up. He was beginning to worry that he may have to swim to shore and walk to the truck to go get help. He was very grateful I came over to help.

On the trip to the ramp the young boy was hanging over the side of their boat looking into mine, he would point to something and ask:
Hey mister, what's that thing?
That's a fish finder, helps me find fish and know the depth.
What about that thingy?
That's a bubble maker for my bait bucket.
Why do you have so many fishing poles?
I like to catch a lot of fish!
Why to you have a motor on the front...

It went on like this for pretty much the whole trip back to the ramp. I answered his questions just like I would anyone and sometimes I could see the gears working in his head trying to fully understand the "thingy" I was trying to explain.

Once back at the ramp I helped them load their dead boat and get it retrieved. The Dad offered me money for my help, I refused, he insisted; eventually I accepted it just to keep from offending.

Upon saying our goodbyes and shaking hands the boy looked at me in a kind of serious way and said:
Mister, your boat isn't very big, but you have way more cool stuff in yours than we do!
The adults had a good chuckle about that and I told the Dad it sounded like he may have a budding fisherman in the family.

They headed out and I eventually was able to get to my fishing spot and catch some crappie. I always keep an eye out for them on the lake, I've always wondered if that little boy grew into a fisherman. It's been so long now I probably wouldn't recognize him, but one can always hope.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Nice story and you should be proud. No only because your little 12' jon boat and engine saved the day, but because YOU took your time to help some one in need. Bravo sir Bravo. :thumb:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In 1973 we were at the lake and had hauled a canoe behind us the 12 miles across the lake to the fishing sweet spot. Well Canoes don't plane so we didn't get there too fast. Any ways we were fishing, onshore, in the boat, and with the canoe up a river that drained into the lake. After a bit another boat showed up and fished for a while then attempted to leave. Well the outboard wasn't having any bit of that. Wouldn't start. Nothing would make it go. It was a 1961 60hp Viking. a rebadged OMC Gale product. It had a hell of a battery though, the guy cranked it like forever. I think he could have went home the 12 miles on the cranking battery. We offered to tow him home in a couple more hours. When it came time to go home, the configuration was, 14 foot boat with 5 people, towing a 16 foot boat with 5 aboard with a 16 ft canoe as a dingy behind it. It took between 2 1/2 and 3 hours to get across Once we got them back to their place some adult refreshments came out and a nice time was had. It was a good day, Lots of Food, lots of fish and met some nice people and lent a hand.

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
In 1973 we were at the lake and had hauled a canoe behind us the 12 miles across the lake to the fishing sweet spot. Well Canoes don't plane so we didn't get there too fast. Any ways we were fishing, onshore, in the boat, and with the canoe up a river that drained into the lake. After a bit another boat showed up and fished for a while then attempted to leave. Well the outboard wasn't having any bit of that. Wouldn't start. Nothing would make it go. It was a 1961 60hp Viking. a rebadged OMC Gale product. It had a hell of a battery though, the guy cranked it like forever. I think he could have went home the 12 miles on the cranking battery. We offered to tow him home in a couple more hours. When it came time to go home, the configuration was, 14 foot boat with 5 people, towing a 16 foot boat with 5 aboard with a 16 ft canoe as a dingy behind it. It took between 2 1/2 and 3 hours to get across Once we got them back to their place some adult refreshments came out and a nice time was had. It was a good day, Lots of Food, lots of fish and met some nice people and lent a hand.

I would have paid to see that! We're making sure our boat is reinforced to tow and be towed, just in case we run into a situation like this. Events like these make great memories and the best stories!

Vikesfan

Seaman
For one summer I worked at a boat rental place on the weekends for some gas money and time on the water. I used to ride my 98 Sea-doo XP to work and when we would get a call that one of our rental boats wouldn't start, I would ride out on my Seadoo with a tool kit and attempt to get them back up and running. Many times I've had to tow a 24 ft pontoon boat with my little 130 hp 2 stroke Seadoo. I got many strange looks on the water, but it did the job and always got them back to the dock. The largest boat I've helped pull in was an older 26 ft cabin cruiser that ran it's battery down in party cove playing it's radio too long. They are always shocked when my little PWC pulls up to help and I get them back in. I sold that little two stroke years ago, but I'll always help a stranded boater if I'm on my Sea-doo RXP or my Sea-Ray boat. I would hope that someday they will return the favor to someone else in need or that someone will stop and help me if I find myself stranded.

AgnotGt

Seaman
On the opposite side of the coin.... In the early 80's I took a small 15ft Glasspar with a straight 6 75hp merc outboard (tall, short shaft?) up to Lake Tahoe. Me, the dog and a cooler. Heading out from South Shore the water was calm enough and in the middle it was like glass. The idea was to go to the other side of the lake; to North Shore. Not far from the middle it got somewhat choppy and soon I decided to turn back but....

It was beating the boat so badly I decided to turn around and keep going towards Kings Beach. It was smoother but I had NO plan for what to do once I got there.My dog, a full grown German Shepard, wasn't too concerned; surprisingly enough.

Upon reaching the ramp just South of the beach I was glad to see many ppl there. Hoping for help I circled as they ALL left. I must have been quite a sight in the now 3ft or so high waves. I will always remember my thoughts that one could surf that day. But there was one brave sole that DID offer help! Problem was it was just a kid 12 or 15 was my guess. I circled a few times and finally yelled out to him; " thanks but it was too dangerous". Not worth the risk! I headed back out and north towards Kings Beach about 1\4 mi away.

After picking a spot without people nearby and from a few hundred yards out. I full throttled it onto the beach. I don't remember just how far onto the sand I got but I WAS on dry land; safe and sound. A much better result than would have been if I somehow had tied up at the ramp! AND no one got hurt!

Still it did feel wrong that all the "adults" had ignored my hopes for help. They literally turned their backs to the water and left.

I left the boat on the beach with the area ranger's permission; my dog guarding the cooler and boat. Caught a ride to retrieve the trailer. Three hours later drove onto the beach, backed up to align the boat and in 4x4 drive goosed the gas and again hoped for the best. The boat stood almost straight up then dropped with a thud onto the trailer. One shot success! At least till I put in next when I got down to Sacramento....

When I came up onto plane she had a decided listed to one side. After 3 tries I pulled her out to head home and found that one of the trim tabs was bent straight down. Luckily the only damage from a poor decision on unknown waters by a foolish young man! While I did have life vests; I had no communications equipment. No one knew where I was heading. I didn't even tell anyone I was taking the boat a few hundred miles up to Lake Tahoe.

How did, and I know I'm not alone, we ever survive??? Pic for reference only Blonde not included....

glasspar-photo.ashx