Spun Prop ???

dwco5051

Commander
Last week I took my grand daughters ages 8 and 10 out for an afternoon of fishing. Temperature in the 90?s so we went down to the end of the lake to fish close to the bank where the trees would provide some shade. I have been meaning to set my idle up a little bit so I decided to do it while they fished. While fooling around with that we were drifting towards an anchored pontoon boat so I dropped my trolling motor and moved about 50? so we would not interfere with them. The girls started complaining about being in the sun so I decided we would run up to the other end of the lake where we also could fish in the shade close to the bank.

Put the engine cover on, started the motor and gave it throttle. The boat would not get up and the motor started going full bore with no forward progress. My first thought was that somehow I spun the prop hub. Backed down to about 1500 rpm and we were going forward,

Now my brain started working. Some background info is that I am married to a woman that believes a man can own too many guns, guitars, and boats and how am I going to explain that I am going to need a new raptor ss cupped and ventilated prop that that cost some years ago as much as I made a month when I was first married.

Little girls are starting to get cranky again so I started advancing the throttle a little at a time to get more speed. All of a sudden we are all getting sprayed with water from up front. My old brain suddenly remembers the trolling motor is still down. Bingo, pulled it up and Pappy was once again the hero.