Boat Ramp Follies

Status
Not open for further replies.

briangcc

Commander
Years ago we were at a public ramp for Lake Ontario. Guy in a F-150 backs in a triple axle trailer. Back in the 80's this was big money so sure shooting in comes a 30' (or larger) cigarette boat. Gets winched up to the trailer no problem. Guy hops into the F-150 and proceeds to do nothing other than smoke the tires on the algae on the ramp. Not sure how he got out as we were already loaded up and on our way when the smoke screen occurred.

A few years later we were in cottage country in Ontario - Baptiste Lake, Bancroft. To launch at the camp you used a sand road that went directly into the lake - sandy bottom. Water levels were low but we were able to launch. Retrieving was another story using a gutless v6 station wagon. Dad ended up burrying the axle on the car. We had to unhitch the trailer from the car to get the car out. So here's a station wagon about 20' from the boat & trailer which is sinking into the sand bottom. Another camper had a thick rope so we tied the two together. A bunch of us held the trailer tongue up while the car pulled the trailer forward. I'm sure we were a sight at that point. Then again...80's.

Much more recently watched an S-10 (open diff) retrieve a 21-23' boat from Canandiagua Lake. Boat loaded onto the trailer no problem. Gets in and guns the throttle on the truck. What happens next is a smoke screen the US Marines would be proud of. Amazingly it made it up the ramp but it looked like the truck was on fire when he stopped to attach the straps...right at the ramp...as the smoke was still bellowing from the tire. Once the straps were on, he got back in and left the ramp. Truck was still smoking for the entire time I could see it which was several blocks.

Last year at the beginning of the season we went to Glenwood Lake, Medina NY to launch. A boat was sitting at the launch un-manned with coolers and fishing gear sitting on the dock. A few minutes later a man comes out of the porta potti and starts backing up his vehicle.....badly. To the point where my wife, several months pregnant at the time, goes over to see if he needs help. Learns that this is his first time with loading the boat and he has some sort of health condition on top of it. She helped him get everything lined up and on his way. **I was watching our other (2) boys to keep sanity and generally help from me isn't received too well....

This year at Glenwood the kayakers have been out of control. Pretty much tied up the ramp and ignore those with boats trying to get in/out. Had one try to sneak in as I was backing my trailer up to retrieve the boat. After this year I'm not so sure that jet ski's are lake lice as the kayakers are making a strong charge to the top of the list!

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'll second the illegal swimmers at the dock thing. Where are they when the brand new driver (me) needs to dock? Why, on the upwind side, making it completely un-useable; so I gotta try to hit (lol) the end or the downwind side. Fun.

Other than that, I've only run into helpful people so far, and asked the opinion of a couple of experienced-looking bass boaters before backing in for the first time, since I was a little nervous about having only a 2wd, albeit posi-trac-ed Suburban. They said no problem, and gave me the confidence I lacked at that moment.

briangcc

Commander
This year the start of the season was no different...

Went to Glenwood lake (nice small shakedown lake) to launch and make sure everything was ready for the season. Single lane ramp so you know its small. Had the entire family in tow - 7/5/2 yr old boys - so we're not the fastest to get ready. Pulled out of the way of the ramp and started getting ready as we normally would.

Jet boat pulls in next to us and asks if they can jump the line as they should be in/out. Boat's already uncovered and appears ready so say what the heck, go for it. They proceed to unload coolers, water toys, etc into the jet boat and finally out pops a munchkin who they also have to get ready. By this time I'm good to go but what the heck, I'm in for follies.

Their launch goes fairly well but while launching in comes a small blue bowrider who ties up on the opposite side of the ramp. Guy gets out and we figure going to get the trailer while the other boat clears. Nope. Porta Potty. Goes back to the boat after finishing his business and unties. Now at this point a truck and trailer are backing down the ramp so you'd figure 1. They're probably together and 2. They're moving the boat to retrieve it and get out of everyone's way. Not so! Guy hops in the boat and they go for a victory circle with the truck sitting at the ramp. For reasons unknown to me, they decide to do a second circle....truck and trailer still sitting at the ramp. Third circle and they vanish.

My admiral walks down to the truck and overhears the following conversation "I can't help you now!". Guy gets in the truck and pulls out of the way.

**During all this time the jet boat we saw launch earlier is simply circling the lake.

We launch and we find out what happened to the boat as....2 guys 1 oar. They are basically going in circles. When we approach we asked what happened - ran out of gas as outboard is tipped up - and yes they would like a tow. So they toss a line to my admiral and we limp them back to the ramp....which is now clogged with kayakers. So being the guy I am, I yell at the top of my voice to get out of my way as I'm brining in a disabled boat. Kayakers don't move. Sorry I don't budge either as my buddha is bigger. They eventually clear as the light finally dawns that I'm bringing in a disabled boat. My admiral tosses the guy at the dock the line to the disabled boat. All I hear from him is "Betcha ain't doing that again!"

End of the season wasn't much better...

Black Lake is our vacation lake. Launching was uneventful but retrieving was another story. Big old bass boat was at the dock with (2) power poles on it. He backs off from what appears to be his trailer, backs a bit away from the dock, and then spikes both poles in the bottom clogging up one of the lanes. My admiral with all (3) boys on board is waiting for me to back up. Can't as one of the two lanes is clogged. Second lane finally clears and I get my turn to back down. While doing so a couple people admire my skills getting the trailer down into the water solo. I mention I have a backup camera and have been doing this for years. I also take the time to mention the yahoo with the bass boat needs to move as he's tying up the ramp on a busy day for no apparent reason. I got my boat out within minutes. Found out the person I mentioned this to apparently was related to the owner of the bass boat. Ooops! Not! Don't tie up a lane, clear it folks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.