Boat Landing watching as a way to pass time

DeepCMark58A

Commander
I work fire in the spring for the Department of Forestry responding to wildfires. We stage staffed engines and we patrol enforcing burning restrictions etc. A big part of the job is being in the general area when a fire starts and respond so we leave our fire base and stage in different parts of a 3 county area. One of my favorite spots to park and wait is at a boat landing in a county park. I like to set an over and under on backing the trailer and boat into proper position on tries, empty trailers behind a pick up add a handicap because if you have a cover on the bed nobody can see the trailer. Last sin day got to witness a boat and trailer backed in with the straps still on and cranking the motor trying to pull off, and a keg ground into the pavement with it locked down on the back of an old pontoon. Always a fun way to kill a few hours.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The cottage I rented for years was 1 cottage away from the boat ramp. far enough away not to get asked to help, however close enough to enjoy a beverage or dozen while watching the entertainment.

robert graham

Admiral
I've thought many times of making a movie at the ramps....maybe called "Ramp Fever" or "Idiots at The Ramp" or Ramp Zombies" or who knows the possibilities!.....Always plenty of neat stuff going on, and what's a little scary is we're sharing the waterways with these folks!.....

Seahawk170

Seaman
LOL, yeah I still remember many years back when my dad and I were scoping out a nearby ramp to possibly launch our boat.
Watched a guy trying to launch his nice 26' cabin cruiser with dual Volvo Penta I/O's back down the single concrete ramp. He obviously detached his bow safety chain, and his boat slid off the trailer landing on both outdrives about 4' from water's edge.Hopping out of his truck for a quick look then gotin an continued backing the boat down the ramp. That poor boat bounced and slammed down hard on those several times before she was afloat. Then he and his fairly 'lit' buddies hopped on board and off they went. I often wonder if they actually made it back without a tow.

fishrdan

Admiral
I've thought many times of making a movie at the ramps....maybe called "Ramp Fever" or "Idiots at The Ramp" or Ramp Zombies" or who knows the possibilities!.....Always plenty of neat stuff going on, and what's a little scary is we're sharing the waterways with these folks!.....

Rampbo First Blood part IV (I know there is a joke about movie "trailers" in here somewhere...)

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Y9ou need it to be a busy ramp for it to really be entertaining.

Rampbo First Blood part IV ??????? .... no

Rampbo First Float part IV

OR

Rampbo Failed to Float part IV

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
We could film later in the afternoon when everyone has had several beers and is in a wild rush to get off the water....everybody has been out on the boat all day and getting on each other's last nerve....man, the possibilities are endless!...

fishrdan

Admiral
Y9ou need it to be a busy ramp for it to really be entertaining.

Rampbo First Blood part IV ??????? .... no

Hmmm, well - we could throw in a couple flying sharks (ala Sharknado) to spice things up a bit, boat's bitten in half, etc. It's not like things that happen at the ramp are believable anyway... LOL