Too much time here on the resto forum....

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Not sure if this qualifies as a stupid human trick while boating but it must come close. Last spring I completely dismantled my boat to the bare hull. I thought I'd have time to finish it and even started a thread here but of course other things kept coming up and I didn't get the chance to touch it all summer.

A month or so ago I dragged my wife to the Boat Show. Afterwards she told me to just go buy a new boat, as in a Brand New Boat. That should have been a dream come true, but after 8 years of reading the resto forum regularly I really want to finish my current boat. Aside from saving $25+K I can't believe I'm passing up this offer and I'm sure it will never come up again. On the other hand I've upped my budget for the resto!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sub, there is something about doing things yourself that offers that self satisfaction feeling that a new boat could never offer. JMHO!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
All depends on if you just like doing this kind of stuff ... If ya like the whole process and the satisfaction of doing it yourself ... Then carry on ..
If you don't like to get itchy and sweaty and just want to go fishing then take her up on the offer ...

sublauxation

Lieutenant
It's a tinny so no itchy scratchy!

Yeah, in some ways I think she's calling my bluff or using reverse psychology of some sort on me as I'm a hard core do it myselfer and I don't part with money that easily.

This will be the 2nd full rebuild in 9 years, and 3rd remodel overall. The first was before I found IBoats (maybe that's the real "stupid part") and a couple years ago I ripped out the splashwell and redid the back half. Like everything in life though it sometimes takes doing it wrong a couple times to figure out what one really wants. I've looked at a couple used boats and the first thing I come up with is a list of what needs to be done to them.

I agree that there's a difference if you enjoy the work or not. A corner of my garage is full of parts that I've accumulated over the past year or two of planning this hopefully final remodel and it would be hard to just set it all aside. The process is fun and as you've all mentioned, the satisfaction is worthwhile.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You got the OK to buy a NEW boat and you DIDN'T????
​They have hospitals for people like you!!! :)

Buy the new and then convince her "it would be such a waste of $$ to not finish the project"