How much help will they really be?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Local FD "rescue team" (team in need of rescue is more like it...)

Using a retired (beyond economical repair) TPWD game warden boat as their rescue boat.
The hull is beat up and bent.
Engine is so "reliable" that once they got it running they preferred to idle for 1.5 hr tied to the dock rather than risk not being able to get it started again.
Took them 1.5 hr to figure out who was going to go out on a body recovery... and how to put on life jackets.

And that's what they did right...

Their life jackets are the wrong size with adolescent being their large.
Half of their life jackets have obviously bad flotation , all crumbled up in the bottom of the "bags". I doubt one of them that a FD member wore would support 10 lbs.
From 20 ft away I could see the fuel leaking from their boats fuel hose.
They didn't have any docking lines so they were using a rescue bag/line to moor the boat.

These clowns would just be a danger to themselves in anything more complex than what thy had to do yesterday...

If they had to go out to help a boater in bad weather they'd need to be rescued too.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like the FD was trained by the same guy that trained the Keystone Kops!!

Glenn

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Now the FD can appropriate a couple hundred thousand next year for proper equipment and training.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I've seen some local water patrols that aren't far from that. Watching them back is even more fun! They take some kid new out of the training academy and throw him on the water, he may have zero actual real world water experience. But of course, don't tell them that, they are 'highly' trained at all marine operations!

(make no mistake, there are some very good LEO's on the water also, who are very experienced and trained, and willing to save your bacon when you get in trouble)