2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee evap leak and hard start condition

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7 as a project that I've been tinkering with. Like many others have experienced, it keeps tripping the check engine light with an EVAP leak code. I have replaced the EVAP Canister and Purge Solenoid (from a salvage yard) with no change. I did have a mechanic run a smoke test and he could find no visible signs of a leak.

One weird thing is that while the Jeep is running, pressure builds up in the gas tank and if I remove the gas cap (while running), it will quickly release the pressure and the engine will die. It is then difficult to add fuel to the tank, almost like there is a vapor lock. At this point the Jeep is then very difficult to start and I have to crank for a while before it will fire. If I remove the gas cap very slowly (while the engine is running) to release the pressure, it will not stall and I have no difficulty pumping gas into the tank. If I shut off the engine before removing the cap, no pressure is released and pumping gas into the tank is difficult.

Not really sure what's going on here. Is the Purge Solenoid still bad? Any ideas? Thanks.

2009-10-13_235048_purge.jpg2009-10-13_232809_evap1.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee evap leak and hard start condition

Couple options
1) LDP control valve is bad (about $10)
2) your canister is full of fuel because you over-topped
3) Collapsed vent line

dolluper

Captain

Colasped fuel line....vent or fill,PCV plugged,frozrn closed EGR...flooded canister...fuel filter or tank sock

BRG25

Chief Petty Officer

Ok good suggestions, thank you. So it from what I've read, it sounds like the control valve on the canister and the purge solenoid work in conjunction to create a vacuum in the system which if it holds, will pass the test otherwise throw a code? So perhaps the EVAP code and the vapor lock may be separate but unrelated problems? In today's modern vehicles, should there be any pressure released at all when you remove the gas cap?

On a separate note, I'm considering building my own DIY smoke machine tester. Has anyone ever done this? This is the 3rd vehicle I've had this problem with and it's frustrating to not be able to diagnose it myself.

dolluper

Captain

Smoke machine.....funnel attach a hose,stick in your gas tank...tape up where hose enters......grab a cigar and blow the smoke in the funnel ...then block off the funnel opening ,a cork works good {so now you need a bottle of wine to just for the cork eh**and look around for smoke......repeat till cigar or you are finished...LOL's

Last edited: