Impact Driver Directions NEED HELP

gulfcoastsurf

Seaman Apprentice
I read the directions and still cant figure out if i doing it right. It says per handle adjustment, it has a l and r on it, I thinking you turn it in the direction that you want the screw to go, but it do not seem to be working.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Impact Driver Directions NEED HELP

I moved this to non-Boating tech as it is really a tool question. Good luck!

robert graham

Admiral

Turn that outside collar clockwise to make the unit tighten the bolt/screw, counterclockwise to loosen...there's a helix shaft inside that generates the torque....lots of torque, so practice a bit so you don't strip/break something...and be sure your tool, slot head, phillips head, whatever, fits snugly into the head of the screw so it don't strip out the head...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

"R" means clockwise, "L" is counterclockwise. Just remember, "righty tighty, lefty loosy"

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You place the proper tip on the driver (Important that it is the right tight fitting tip) ...........

Turn the driver by hand .....yes by hand ...... until it will not turn........ keep the pressure (hand pressure) in the direction you want to go..............................

Strike the top of the driver with a single blow........ fairly hard......... repeat as needed.

OH

DO NOT HIT YOUR HAND OR FINGER's WITH THE HAMMER!!!!!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I read the directions and still cant figure out if i doing it right. It says per handle adjustment, it has a l and r on it, I thinking you turn it in the direction that you want the screw to go, but it do not seem to be working.

Mine didn't even have instructions.:facepalm:
Yours? If it is made off-shore, sometimes the instructions are not the best....

"After adjustment the one way, not to be hitting bad spot or major thing will happening."

I don't use an impact driver often enough that I remember it from one time to the next, so I have to "rediscover" and relearn again.
Fortunately its not difficult.

Ignore the "L" and "R" and just take a minute to make sure that the tool is set to do what you need it to this time. (I have never used mine to tighten anything)...i.e. concentrate on the logic.
Hold the tool upright on a table with the end that gets hammered resting on the table top. With your other hand push down on the end that impacts the work....do not allow the body of the tool to rotate. If that "business end " of the turns in the correct direction for your requirement, you are OK. If not twist it by hand the other way until it locks and test again.

A tip to save you from learning by experience:
Recheck the directional setting after each hammer strike. Mine changed direction after a hammer blow....the next one snapped the fastener because it was now tightening. (You only need to do that once, never to forget again.... :) )

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

The spring inside a new tool can be strong enough to make it difficult to turn the tool far enough for the cam to switch over center of the ramp and switch direction.

With the correct tool tip installed hold the assy against the screw and PUSH while attempting to turn the tool. As you push AND turn the tool you will feel rotation in only one direction, L or R. To change direction of rotation you must push and turn the tool until it 'Cams over center', Done. Hold tool securely against the workpiece and give it a smack smack with an appropriate BFH. Recheck rotation before you hit it again as they often cam over and switch directions when hit.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

DO NOT HIT YOUR HAND OR FINGER's WITH THE HAMMER!!!!!

I've done that!!!!!

Too many times, I've since learned to hold things with a large pair of slip jointed pliers, just in case my aim is a bit off.

You should see the number of 'dents' in those old pliers!!!