Self-stick floor tile coming up at the corners...

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys, if you've ever used vinyl self-stick floor tiles and had them either shift position or saw corners or edges lift after a couple of years, I'd like to hear what you did to correct these problems.

I've used this type of product many times over the years with generally good results. But I have a couple of examples of tiles that have been down for a good long time, but have begun to lose their adhesion to the sub-surface. I know, of course, that the difficulty is probably due to inadequate surface preparation in these few spots where it's occurring, but it's a little late for me to address that - particularly as I can no longer buy replacement tiles of the same color/pattern.

I've tried the heat-gun - twenty pound weight approach, but to no avail. I have thought of injecting another adhesive under the lifting corners but have not yet tried it.

I"m curious whether any of you have successfully dealt with this and, if so, how.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Self-stick floor tile coming up at the corners...

When I had whole tiles come up I used contact cement in a spray can, never came up again since I glued it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I always use adhesive...even with self stick tiles.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Get some weldwood contact cement. Problem solved. Get it under and let dry for a few min before you push it down.

foodfisher

Captain

Sheet vinyl. The problem is still there and probably moreso, dirt. Any adhesive added will hold as well as the dirt and raise the corners that much more. Good luck.

mscher

Lieutenant

I always use adhesive...even with self stick tiles.

+1 here, even though I hate vinyl floor, hate vinyl tiles worse.

First time I used it, some tile corners came up. I just cleaned under the corners, apply tile adhesive, and press them back in. worked good. Second (and last) using regular vinyl adhesive, over the whole job, they held up great.( as well as cheap vinyl tiles can hold up)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I hate vinyl floors too. Have them in my rental houses though.

generator12

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Well, it looks like the clear winner - once I'm stuck with my own vinyl work - is contact cement. I'll try it before I consider taking up the whole floor.

Thank you gentlemen.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Well, it looks like the clear winner - once I'm stuck with my own vinyl work - is contact cement. I'll try it before I consider taking up the whole floor.

Thank you gentlemen.

Agree, just try to clean up underneath (maybe Q-tips or small brush & solvent?, then vacuum out any crud) as best as you can before applying the contact cement.

I found out I'm not a fan of vinyl tiles either. I put them in my kitchen a number of years ago and they just don't hold up under heavy family use. Now I have lots of small surface tears and nicks, and they seem to appear faster as it ages.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if you dont seal the seams, the tiles come up. That has been my experience. I usually end up pulling the tiles and going to sheet vinyl or on to ceramic tile and grout.