smoedog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Expy Wheel Squeal

Actually there isn't coop, at least my 05 4x4 didn't have one

scoyt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like you need new brake pads.

It is a Ford right? Walk around to the front. Look at the grill. See the Ford emblem? At least they circled the problem! :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Hey, nobody asked for comments from the peanut gallery, especially from the guy who doesn't even have the decency to show up at a get together thirty minutes from his house.:p

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did it make the sound when you were with the mechanic? As a former mechanic I'd bet it didn't.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Did it make the sound when you were with the mechanic? As a former mechanic I'd bet it didn't.

Of course it didn't. :rolleyes:
There is a universal AutoMaker-installed feature in all vehicles. ~ ADSM ( Automatic Diagnostic Silence Mode).

The vehicles sensors are triggered when within range of a repair shop, and all whines, squeaks, hums, and squeals are totally suppressed for the duration of the visit. :eek:

southkogs

Staff member

There's a minature giraffe up in the wheel well with a squeaky toy laughing his spotted backside off ;)

scoyt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OUCH!! LOL. Seriously, I had a 2000 GMC Truck that did almost the same thing. Turns out one of the brake pads was worn, and coming loose in the holder. Made a terrible noise some of the time. Have it checked, brakes are something you don't want to play around with.

Hey, nobody asked for comments from the peanut gallery, especially from the guy who doesn't even have the decency to show up at a get together thirty minutes from his house.:p

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Of course it didn't. :rolleyes:
There is a universal AutoMaker-installed feature in all vehicles. ~ ADSM ( Automatic Diagnostic Silence Mode).

The vehicles sensors are triggered when within range of a repair shop, and all whines, squeaks, hums, and squeals are totally suppressed for the duration of the visit. :eek:

Well, I tried to disable the ADSM sensors, but as it turns out 2005 and newer models require an harmonic damper with relative inverse capability to attain complete neutralization, and as you probably know, Timothy, that style harmonic damper cannot be obtained without level III clearance, even in the US. I know I was partially successful because when I pulled into the parking lot the squeal presented. However, neither the tech who drove it nor I could replicate it after that.:facepalm: We had a good laugh, then he looked it over and based on my description and the condition of the brake pads determined they were probably just starting to sing to me a little bit as they are five or six thousand miles away from being due for replacement. So, I'll get them done next oil change and call it a day. I was mainly looking for someone to tell me my driveline wasn't going to puke its guts out on the 4wd boat ramp in the middle of nowhere I'll be using in a couple of weeks. I did manage to capture the miniature giraffe, but only after I promised to release it unharmed. There'll be others.;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Well, I tried to disable the ADSM sensors,..... and as you probably know, Timothy, that style harmonic damper cannot be obtained without level III clearance, even in the US. I know I was partially successful because when I pulled into the parking lot the squeal presented. However, neither the tech who drove it nor I could replicate it after that.....:facepalm:

Oh, oh. :eek: Nobody ever calls me Timothy except my mother and my wife....and in both situations
it means my "ace" is in the wringer for sure....:facepalm: :D

I was mainly looking for someone to tell me my driveline wasn't going to puke its guts out on the 4wd boat ramp in the middle of nowhere I'll be using in a couple of weeks. .;)

Enjoy the trip. The ones to a "4WD boat ramp in the middle of nowhere" are usually the ones worth remembering! :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Enjoy the trip. The ones to a "4WD boat ramp in the middle of nowhere" are usually the ones worth remembering! :)

Yep. It's a very special place. Been going there since I was a pup.

years ago i worked in a garage and we would get cars in that we couldnt locate the problem being discribed some of them were I, D, 10, T problems like. driving on the rubble strip because this car is wider than the old one, driving a auto with both feet on the pedals, pulling out the choke to hang a handbag on it, driving with hand brake on "but i never use the handbrake its a auto", putting a book over the light sensor on the dash so the head lights stay on, etc etc. i must admit :facepalm: i did take a car back myself to ask why the door would not lock, turns out if you have the radio type key chain that doesnt need to be put in the ignition you can not leave the spare in the car or the doors dont lock.