muzzle loader issue

82rude

Rear Admiral
as the title states, i gots me a problem boys and gals!i was going to clean my hawken after shooting it yesterday and inserted the bore brush down the barrel.well when i pulled the ramrod quess what?yup thats right ,just the ram rod came out!well now i got a bore brush attached to the brass end of the rod stuck in the bottom of the barrel.ive tried the bullet puller but no go ,now what?anybody ever had this happen to them?i dont know what to do quite frankly .any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.:( at least yesterday at a reasonable distance with 105 grains of gorex propelling a 250grain shock wave bullet it was very accurate and fun to shoot.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: muzzle loader issue

That sucks. Never heard of that happening. I've heard of ramrods getting stuck and they shot them out by dumping a little powder where the nipple screws in. Have to take the nipple out first. Not sure if you could get enough powder in to make the brush come out if it's all the way to the breech.. Wouldn't take much..... Never tried it myself. You could take the breech off but may have to get a gunsmith to do it. They don't come out very easy on that style of gun.....

Maybe 5 minute epoxy on the end of the rod and stick it back in the brass and let it cure. Not sure it will hold if it's that stuck...

Not trying to scold, but I always use a seperate rod for loading and cleaning. I think the one that comes with the gun is better left for looks...... T/C makes a good brass rod for loading/cleaning and breaks down into 3 sections....

I'll keep thinking.....

Look here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bor...&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I read where a lot of guys use copper pipe that fits in the bore and gets pushed over the brush then pull it out.....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Okay......here's my idea......... Heavy gauge wire and shape a coil along the botton 6 " and use it like a drill......it might wrap around and start to guide it up the barrel

I like the epoxy idea .....you might be able to use a light and see in there too so you can align it.

Now I have in-lines which are easier ;)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I updated my initial post. Copper pipe may be the way to go.... Brush ends up in the pipe...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I updated my initial post. Copper pipe may be the way to go.... Brush ends up in the pipe...

Great idea a piece of 3/8 copper should work.

82rude

Rear Admiral

yup,it seems like 3/8 copper pipe is the way to go,sounds like it will work easily enough.will let you know results later.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is a way that might work, have done when son loaded ball with no powder, and could not get out with ball puller.

1) take plug out of spark tube.
2) work a small charge into breach
3)replace breach plug.
4)place cap on nipple.
5) aim down range and pull trigger

This is common way at muzzle loading club I belong to. I uuse boiling water and Dawn with a plastic tube to clean gun with patches, then rinse with clean water. If barrel can be remover from stock can place breach area directlly in the solution. Barrl will dry quickly, then apply a thin coat of oil in and on barrel. Hint wear gloves as barrel gets very hot.

oldjeep

Admiral

I'm sure that I'm showing my ignorance here, but couldn't you use a rubber tipped airgun and blow 100psi or so through the breach plug?

halfmoa

Ensign

as the title states, i gots me a problem boys and gals!i was going to clean my hawken after shooting it yesterday and inserted the bore brush down the barrel.well when i pulled the ramrod quess what?yup thats right ,just the ram rod came out!well now i got a bore brush attached to the brass end of the rod stuck in the bottom of the barrel.ive tried the bullet puller but no go ,now what?anybody ever had this happen to them?i dont know what to do quite frankly .any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.:( at least yesterday at a reasonable distance with 105 grains of gorex propelling a 250grain shock wave bullet it was very accurate and fun to shoot.

I guess my initial question would be why did the brush come out? Are the threads stripped? If that's the case a half a patch rammed in the female threads of the rod may cause enough bite to lock on the brush threads and get it out.

I'd think this type of puller would make short work of the job after you spent a few minutes bending the prongs around.

1.jpg

For what it's worth I think epoxy is a really bad idea. It sounds like a great way to turn a temporary issue into a permanent problem.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

For what it's worth I think epoxy is a really bad idea. It sounds like a great way to turn a temporary issue into a permanent problem.

The end of his ramrod came off which is still connected to the brush. Hence the epoxy idea to glue it back on. That patch puller probably wont work since the wire wont reach the brush being the ramrod end is still connected. I still think the brass pipe would probably solve the problem in minutes... Sounds like that's what a bunch of guys have used....

halfmoa

Ensign

The end of his ramrod came off which is still connected to the brush.

Oh, I see. Geez, that's a bit of a pickle, ****. In that case, maybe a small amount of expoy would work.

Fishingdudetoo has a valid point also...just shoot it out with a light charge!

82rude

Rear Admiral

tube didnt work ,got stuck and broke off.well offf to the gunsmith and he can take the breech plug out and get everything out .bigger problems now.brother called last night ,had big storm at camp ,one of the dogs ran off and he couldnt find her atall.he had to come back for supplies so now he,s upset ,sister in laws crying and i quess im going up the back way to camp in an hour or so to see if i can find her on this side of the river while my brother goes back up by water.hope the wolves or cougars dont find her.hopefull she went back to camp and is hunkering down waiting for somebody to come get her .cant sleep atall so might as well get a early start as it will take 3 hours by bush roads to get there.maybe i will bag a moose on the way back if im really lucky.can always hope.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Crossing my fingers you find the pooch. Hopefully, she is back at the cabin already..... Good luck..... Stay positive. Maybe you will get a moose too and all will be well....:)

From the frying pan and into the fire. I suppose the breech was really dirty. Did the gunsmith give any ideas what to do if it happens again? Other than removing the plug?

May I recommend using something like this when loading while target shooting and cleaning. Save the guns ramrod for loading(only) if you use it for hunting. The link is what I've used for years. Heavy duty, don't have to worry about it coming apart or breaking. Rod is brass and the handle is solid aluminum.
http://www.cva.com/CVA-Product-View.php?id=143

You can also get an extension if need be. The rod is 31", I believe your barrel is 28" so you should be good.
http://www.cva.com/CVA-Product-View.php?id=144

They also make a brass bore saver that goes over the rod. It's tapered, fits in the end of the bore and keeps the rod straight. Especially good when loading. Not sure if you can buy that seperately. You could check with your local gunshop.

ps. I never use a brush. Hot tap water, dish soap, swab http://www.cva.com/CVA-Product-View.php?id=136 , pipe cleaner for inside the nipple, a tooth brush( for the nipples threads and hammer) and cleaning patches to dry/oil the bore. Plastic ice cream bucket works good to store your cleaning supplies and for soapy water to clean the barrel, nipple etc.....

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm sure that I'm showing my ignorance here, but couldn't you use a rubber tipped airgun and blow 100psi or so through the breach plug?

Sorry there is no power at the club, so we use what we have on hand

82rude

Rear Admiral

WIMUSKY thanks for the tips .as for the dog i feel she,s lost and most likely wont make it but miracles can happen.day 4 in the bush by herself now and its lots and lots of miles before any civilation but maybe a hunter or whomever may find her.worst part for my brother is not knowing, i feel he would of rather of found a body at the very least.didnt see bullwinkle either!

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Sorry the pooch hasn't shown up. Pets are odd ducks at times. Sometimes out of nowhere they just show up. Hope that will be the case.

Keep us informed about the gun and if the gunsmith has any recommendations for next time.....

82rude

Rear Admiral

fixed!he got the brush out easily enough but the tube that was also stuck took more effort.he machined it out .reccomendation use smaller brush or no brush atall as its not really needed.soap and water or as i use t-17 bore cleaner.he did not take the breech off as he didnt want to ruin it, thats better left to factory.(thompson).so i got my baby back.

82rude

Rear Admiral

more good news .after 4 days the brothers other dog came back to camp ,amazing concidering the country she was lost in ,just amazing.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Glad to hear the pooch showed up! For whatever reason, it seems to happen all the time........ All you needed was a moose to make the trifecta. Surprised the gunsmith didn't/wouldn't take the breech out. He must have very little, if any, experience doing it...... At least it's fixed.......