Rotten puter viruses!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rotten puter viruses!!

Used pc's from '91 to 2001.
Used Mac's from '99 thru present.

I have never encountered a Mac virus. The so called mac viruses that I have read about, were only able to run on systems whose OS was not updated to current versions, like the infamous college project which found a vulnerability in the OS, but had been fixed by Apple 6 months previous.
I have also never encountered a driver issue, registry issue, lost pathway, etc, blah blah blah, or any of the common pc/windows issues that require you to be a software tech.

I have trapped 4 or 5 malware in the last couple years, but no viruses.

Our Mac's go anywhere and everywhere on the net, and have downloaded from many sites known for causing problems. If it looked cool, or promised you a million $, the wife clicked on it and/or downloaded it.

I do run 2 separate AV/malware programs on each of our Macs, just in case.

1 they work.
2 they make my life easier.
3 I don't need to worry about or learn the latest fixes or repairs, or how the computer works.
4 resale value is great (sold one 18 month old macbook for 85% of purchase price) (and a 2 year old mini for 65% or purchase price)

Our current 3 macs, a MacPro, a Mini, and a MacBookPro, have all been humming along for nearly 5 years now.

As for the original poster's problem,

Run multiple av programs, update them daily, do a clean windows install from time to time, and stay off the net. :)

matt167

Captain

Mac OS is great, probably the best out there ( counting, Windows, OSX and all the Linux/ Unix OS's ). Problem with Mac is, they go for all or nothing. To get the OS, You need a Mac computer. Cost 50% or more than any PC.. This was ok when Mac ran their own hardware, but now that their Intel based, they still will not release it because they want 100% of the Mac market to stay with Mac products..

I would pay double the cost of a version of windows for a PC version of OSX. Instead because that will never happen, I run PC Linux OS on all of my computers. 2 of them are dual booted with Win XP, but main OS is linux. I'v been a linux user 90% of the time since 2007. I'v been virus free since I can't remember when... I build fairly high end desktops to last a projected 5 years, and I'v never spent more than $600 counting cost of parts I reuse from box to box..

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Mac OS is great, probably the best out there ( counting, Windows, OSX and all the Linux/ Unix OS's ). Problem with Mac is, they go for all or nothing. To get the OS, You need a Mac computer. Cost 50% or more than any PC.. This was ok when Mac ran their own hardware, but now that their Intel based, they still will not release it because they want 100% of the Mac market to stay with Mac products..

I would pay double the cost of a version of windows for a PC version of OSX. Instead because that will never happen, I run PC Linux OS on all of my computers. 2 of them are dual booted with Win XP, but main OS is linux. I'v been a linux user 90% of the time since 2007. I'v been virus free since I can't remember when... I build fairly high end desktops to last a projected 5 years, and I'v never spent more than $600 counting cost of parts I reuse from box to box..

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on-a-pc-without-using-a-mac/

???

tpenfield

Staff member