Rotten puter viruses!!

rbh

Fleet Admiral
So, some how we got attacked by O.traffixeng.com.

We ran everything to get this malware? out of the system and I think we got it, but now V bullitin does not open fully
(little red Xes in boxes were icons should be)

any ideas?

r.j.dawg

Ensign
Re: Rotten puter viruses!!

Open the Control Panel, then the Internet Options icon, then the "Advanced" tab. Once there, scroll to the "Multimedia" section and make sure "Show Pictures" is CHECKED and the "Show image download placeholders" is UNCHECKED.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

We are running XP I believe (wifes the puter person in this house)

Thats a great article will pass it on to her when she gets home.

Thank you

tpenfield

Staff member

Contrary to popular belief, Macs are in no way immune. As the Mac gains more market share, more viruses are aimed at the Mac OS.

I have been hearing this for 10 years now . . . still way ahead of the game with a Mac.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

It is getting old, to continue to hear "Get a Mac" I am a PC user, have been since day one, which is over 25 years ago, have never been infected with a virus, and never ran virus software, I am still plugging along with my PC and will continue to resist the over priced Mac. If people would just take some time to actually learn how their computer works, the virus writers would be out of business.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

It is getting old, to continue to hear "Get a Mac" I am a PC user, have been since day one, which is over 25 years ago, have never been infected with a virus, and never ran virus software, I am still plugging along with my PC and will continue to resist the over priced Mac. If people would just take some time to actually learn how their computer works, the virus writers would be out of business.

Well we got her almost all fixed up, now using google chrome as IE will not show the icons and has an issue with freezing up.

Petty Officer 1st Class

get a Mac . . .

This used to be a safe bet. Now there is a lot of MAC users who are hi-jacked and don't even know it.
Linux is still the safest and always will be the safest route to go.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

get a Mac . . .

Macs are not virus proof. Never bought anything Apple, I could buy two PC's for the price of an Apple. More programs for PC than apple. The money I save not buying Apple I can put into my boat or beer.

tpenfield

Staff member

Macs are not virus proof. Never bought anything Apple, I could buy two PC's for the price of an Apple. More programs for PC than apple. The money I save not buying Apple I can put into my boat or beer.

Yes, many people who do not own Mac's say that they too are subject to viruses. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back :D

Actually, I have both Windoze and Mac's in my house and at work. So, I get a good amount of comparison use.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, many people who do not own Mac's say that they too are subject to viruses. Once you go Mac, you'll never go back :D

Actually, I have both Windoze and Mac's in my house and at work. So, I get a good amount of comparison use.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_...-virus-what-you-need-to-know-how-to-remove-it
http://www.wholly-mac.com/mac-virus.html

It not non mac user who say macs can be infected it's been widely reported in the media, it's even discussed in college computer science courses. The most dangerous computer operators are those that don't think they can be hit with a virus.

Petty Officer 1st Class

tpenfield

Staff member

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_...-virus-what-you-need-to-know-how-to-remove-it
http://www.wholly-mac.com/mac-virus.html

It not non mac user who say macs can be infected it's been widely reported in the media, it's even discussed in college computer science courses. The most dangerous computer operators are those that don't think they can be hit with a virus.

well, if it has been reported in the media, it must be the gospel truth . . .

it is not the matter of one computing environment being perfect and the other is not. It is more the matter of one computing environment being highly susceptible to threats and the other not so much. So, we each chose the computing environment that meets our needs and likes.

My Mac had a couple of viruses that had probably been lurking around for a year or so. I only noticed them when I installed a Sophos AV program out of curiosity. I wish my windoze machines were so tolerant.

southkogs

Staff member

...I wish my windoze machines were so tolerant.
To jump in and help defend the Mac guy a little, that's the main rub ^^^^^ right there. Macs are pricey, no doubt. And Windows platforms are not really as bad as we bash them out to be (though I've found Windows 7 a little disappointing - some versions of XP and Vista were pretty good). But when it comes to reliability and efficiency, the Mac keeps coming out on top. In many cases (probably not personal computing so much) that's what overrides the price tag. Immune to viruses? No. Any where near as susceptible to them? No again.

The worst of it is, to put good anti-virus software in use you sacrifice a TON of performance in a lot of cases (I work in VERY large, graphic intense files on both platforms). Most of my web time is on the Mac end, and I do not have anti-virus running - but I'm pretty specific about what is available on my machine and how easily I can wipe it an start all over. I don't run anti-virus on my Windows side either. I'm not on the web or email on that side very much at all, but it's not been hit in the 4 years that I've been working that way either.

Let the debate rage :)

Linux is an intriguing. Unfortunately, my main software sets don't have enough market potential in Linux and just ain't gonna' go that way any time soon.

Okay Ted ... there's two of us in here now :D Of course, RBH has been out for three days or so ... :facepalm:

tpenfield

Staff member

I took a look at my desk this morning . . .

IMG_1312.jpg

the Macs were enjoying a 3-1 advantage.

But to get back on point for the question asked / issue raised at the start of this thread. . . . if you are having plaguing issues with viruses in a PC, you may want to consider a Mac as an improvement to your situation.

BTW - it is a seldom spoken secret in the I.T. world that the "Total Cost of Ownership" (TCO) slightly favors the Mac's in the long run.