Property Preservation Contractors

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I am a contractor performing property preservation services for 3 different companies. The newest company that I just signed a contract with is a start-up company in Florida and is based in North Carolina. 2 of the companies give me an average of 5 days to perform the work orders that are issued while this new company will issue a work order with a 24 hour turn around.

I have talked to the owners and explained that I am a small business with only myself and two other employees, that I am sub contracted to other companies as well as them, and a 24 hour turn around is not feasible in all cases because of my work load. The owner acknowledges that and says to ask for an extension, then turns around and issues me 8 work orders in 3 different towns with a 24 hour turn around.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this company? Is there any other contractors with a similiar issue that can offer some guidance or advice on this?

I am about ready to cancel my contract over the turn around times, I realize that certain work orders require immediate service but not everyone and especially not a grass cut on an abandoned property.

captmello

Captain
Re: Property Preservation Contractors

I think some people feel they are doing you a favor by supplying you with work and have a "If you can't do the job in the timeframe requested, than we'll find someone who can" attitude. Personally, as a Contractor and subcontractor, I don't like having my schedule dictated that way. But if you want their work...Better get hustling.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

So this is an "on call" yard maintance company your running?

Sounds like you need an extra hand so you can do 2 crews on demand.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

On call 24 hour turn around response time requires 24 hour turn around rate$. ;) ;) :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

On call 24 hour turn around response time requires 24 hour turn around rate$. ;) ;) :)

You got that right! Being a lawn man myself..;) I've done on demand plowing jobs when a cell tower would go down. I'd have to plow out the access road before the maintenance guys could get into the towers. That meant putting my regular customers on hold while I did the job....$$$

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer

There is more to it than just a grass cut, that is only one service. We do winterizations, remove trash and debris, repair damage, inventory, make ready for sale, etc....

You are correct that they think they are doing me a favor by offering the work. The truth is that while the work is nice, I simply do not need that type of business where other customers have to wait or go on the back burner. Especially the ones that I have had for years.

I have talked to the owners several times and I am at the point I am ready to cancle if we cannot come to an agreement on the turn around times.

Hustling is one thing, some of the situations might need a short turn around, just not everyone. At least that is my thoughts.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Well next time they call you "tell them" when you are available.
If you are booked up, your booked up, what can you do.