Any experienced appliance repairmen out there?

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I received the pleasant news from the wife this morning that the clothes dryer wasn't working. I don't have much experience with appliances, so I was hoping someone might be able to bestow some wisdom on me. It's a Whirlpool Duet front loader and is about seven years old....I think....we bought it used. It powers on and the display works fine; displaying no errors. I can change settings as well, but the cycle simply won't start. The exact same lights are displayed whether I have the door opened or closed when I try to start it, so I'm thinking the door sensor is out. Am I on the right track? Any other ideas? With a baby and a new set of tires for my truck due next month, I'd really like to avoid having to replace a dryer.

snowforfun4

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Any experienced appliance repairmen out there?

I have been able to fix many appliance problems via google. Sometimes you have to find an appliance forum, similar to this one and search them. A couple of hours of research will usually turn up a good action plan or at least some suggestions for diagnostics. Be specific with the description of the problem. Good luck.

chris.j.marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob. I looked up a few of those and didn't see anyone describing the same issue.....must have just phrased it differently. I think your thread is exactly what I was after.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The circuit diagram should be inside the back panel. Simple to trouble shoot and fix once you know how it works. If actuating the door switch doesn’t turn out the light, I’d start there

webrx

Seaman

just went through a similar issue with a buddy, he had power to the timer, but no power to the start switch - ended up being a timer. We just did the troubleshooting with a volt and ohm meter. if you push the start button (unit unplugged) and have full continuity accross the start button then the button is good. Same for the door switch check continuity (unit unplugged) if none when open and full continuity when closed switch is good. Most likely a timer, thermal overload (fuse) or one of the two switches is your problem. That is what usually goes bad on these.

d