Good quality leather work/hiking boots?

fishrdan

Admiral
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for good quality leather work/hiking boots and wanted to see what everyone here likes. I've had a pair of Timberland boots for 10 years that have worn extremely well, (used about 1 day/week) but the soles are wearing through and it's time for another pair. I've had several pair of tennis shoe style hiking boots that have fallen apart quickly, so I'm looking to spend $100-200 for a good pair of leather boots that's going to last a long time.

- 6" high
- non-steel toe
- tough sole that will wear a long time
- all leather upper, no fabric on exterior, fabric lining OK

What's good and what should I stay away from, brand, model?

Thanks, fishrdan

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good quality leather work/hiking boots?

I have tried many boots but found the Browning Kangaroo Featherweight superior. Insulated and waterproof, light as tennies.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

As far as the soles go.
Anything with a biltrite sole will last for ever, (they are hardend rubber)
Vibram soles are alot like biltrite.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Working in and around heavy industry requires a boot a little better than most. I looked around and everyone was wearing the same manufacture’s boot.

I bought my first pair of Red Wings 8 years ago. I wear them 3-4 days a week, sometimes more. Good quality, long lasting boots that are still Made in USA if that matters to you

http://www.redwingshoes.com/footwear/filter-usa

fishrdan

Admiral

Thanks for the suggestion on Red Wings, I didn't think of them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Red Wings are great boots. They are what I wore before I discovered the (more expensive) Brownings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You want work boots or hiking boots? They aren't the same thing.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

+1 for Red Wings or any of their brands. You may pay a little more than $200 for them though, depending on what you go with. I've tried many brands for hunting boots and will never go with anything other than Irish Setter (a Red Wing brand) now, of course it's probably going to be a while before I ever have to buy any more. I do have a pair of Danner work boots but they're not that comfortable and when I get another pair they will be Red Wings. The Danners do appear to be a long-lasting boot as well. I have some casual Red Wings that I wear to work every day in business casual attire. They cost some $$$ but they have lasted so much longer than anything I ever bought at the department stores where I would buy my clothes. Before, when I would wear the laces out it would be time to buy new shoes, with the Red Wings I have gone through more sets of laces than I did pairs of shoes before I bought the Red Wings.

fishrdan

Admiral

You want work boots or hiking boots? They aren't the same thing.

I don't want to get into a debate about hiking-vs-work boots, as I know certain types of boots will work fine for both purposes. I'm looking for the "fish-n-ski boat" of leather boots :D since I'm not hiking Everest or working construction.

Luck would have it, there is a Red Wing store a couple miles away. Guess I need to drop by there and see what they have to offer.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to get into a debate about hiking-vs-work boots, as I know certain types of boots will work fine for both purposes. I'm looking for the "fish-n-ski boat" of leather boots :D since I'm not hiking Everest or working construction..

I am a big fan of Vasque boots but for me its more about hiking. I know they make very nice all leather boots. I know people that love these boots so much, they get them re-soled.

Edit:
Which now I see are made by Red Wing!
http://www.amazon.com/Vasque-Summit-Waterproof-Backpacking-Coffee/dp/B001DNE55E/ref=brand_ltst_shs_t

I see one of the comments that these boots are now made in China. Will be interesting to see what you find at the Red Wing store.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am partial to Belleville boots available in a few styles. Very comfortable and great for hiking. You might say they are "battle proven" .....google them. I got a great surplus pair off ebay ;) BTW not made in China.

fishrdan

Admiral

Those are nice looking boots you linked to Bruce. If I were into serious hiking as I was in the past, they would be an option, but I'm more into rock-hopping and off trail hiking now.

I also noticed that Red Wings website had US and China products, sad to say that most manufacturers have to do that to stay in business and compete. I don't think that all China products are bad as it's up to the manufacturer to spec out a good quality product. The Timberland boots that lasted me 10 years were made in China, though all the other carpy boots and shoes that lasted less than a year were made in China. The Florsheim's I wear for work, India, but they are great shoes and are pushing 7-8 years.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Get them re-soled.

Hiking boots, in particular, are an absolute necessity to be "broke in".

I have a 20 year old pair of Red Wings that I have had re-soled three times. The uppers are great and I will NEVER part with them.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can get Red Wings at Charm Boot and Harness in Charm Ohio for discount, they do mail order.

Brewman61

Ensign

Redwing "workboots" are made in the USA. Irish Setter is their line of "hunting" boots, and Vasque is their "hiking" boots. Redwing also markets the Worx brand, as a lower price line of workboot/shoe. The Irish Setter, Vasque, and Worx brands are made in China. I just toured the Factory In Redwing MN, that makes many of ther boots, and I can see why they command a premium price. Redwing owns it's own Tannery, also in Redwing MN, and obtains most of that leather from Cattle source from a certain location in Omaha, NE. They keep the top quality hides for their own use, and sell off the rest. The company has been in business since 1905, and is rapidly expanding worldwide.

fishrdan

Admiral

Well, the Red Wing store didn't have anything I liked in my price range, Boot Barn - nothing, BPS - nothing, so I went online shopping checking out your suggestions. I finally settled on a pair of Alico hiking boots, Italian made, $150. They are very well made, but are going to take some breaking in before hiking.

I'm going to use the old Timberlands for work as I found a way to "fix" the holes in the sole lugs, black 3M 5200 worked like a charm :facepalm::D Tested it with a 10 mile hike last weekend and it held up great. Oh yeah, for re-soling the old boots, they are too worn out inside. They are good enough to patch up with 5200 though.